Front-page Game Night Updated
[Concluded] GBAtemp Game Nights - SM64 Online
Yes, back from being copyright struck into the ground by Nintendo in 2017, this mod by famous SM64 modder and voted handsomest man, Kaze Emanuar, persists to this day thanks to the dedicated efforts of its community. What this allows us to do is to bridge the gaps between all our locally emulated instances of Super Mario 64 by using an online server, allowing up to 24 players to appear in each others' worlds simultaneously and progress through the game alongside one another, with each star collected adding to our total. Our plan for this Friday's game night is to pile ourselves into one of the public servers with fresh files and stream our group going from 0 to 120 stars in hopefully one sitting. It's too crazy not to work, right?
If you would like to join us, there is a small bit of setup one needs to do beforehand, detailed below.
- First, download the Net64+ v2.3.0 Client from GitHub by clicking here. This should contain two folders called "client" and "emulator." The client directory contains the client itself in the form of an executable, and the emulator directory contains the version of Project 64 most compatible with the mod. There is obviously no Super Mario 64 ROM included in any download here, for legal reasons, and you'll need to provide that yourself.
- There are a number of configurations one needs to make, outlined in the FAQ section when running Net64+ for the first time:
In order to access the config page for SM64 as above, one needs to first load the ROM.
- After resetting both Project 64 and Net64+, pause Super Mario 64 by hitting F2 as soon as the logo appears. You should be able to select your running emulator through Net64+, then select the server, and you should be golden.
- You can also change your playable character and set a screen name by clicking the
- NOTE: The emulator does come with its own SM64 save file containing 114 stars, but since the intent is to start from scratch and see how far we can get, we'll be using File B, which is a new file. If you end up with errors regarding your custom selected character being displayed after progressing through the opening cutscene, try resetting the emulator and Net64+, then hopping back into the server.
In addition, if anyone runs into any difficulties setting things up, or has any questions, post below and I can help smooth things over.
The stream will air on our official Twitch channel at 11am CT. Links to both our twitch page and the countdown clock are below. Anyone who follows the twitch channel is also eligible for a smooch, no money down, guaranteed, get it now while supplies last. (Shipping and handling rates may apply; smooches known to cause insanity in the state of California.)
Last edited by Meteor7,