Gaming Computer is massively messed up D:

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so recently I bought a barebones computer kit and configured it myself. The parts I used were all supposed to be compatible with the motherboard, but as soon as I turn it on I get a bunch of crippling errors. All of them amount up to me being unable to boot Windows, and in one case, even the BIOS.

First scenario: I turn on the computer (thank God that works fine), BIOS doesn't boot. On the motherboard (a Biostar TA790GX 128M), there are 2 LED status lights. Both of them are supposed to be on. LED 1 is on, LED 2 is not, indicating what the manual calls a "memory error". I've tried multiple sticks of RAM, in different RAM slots, and the result is always the same: success is completely random.

Second scenario: On rare occasions, I am given the option to run Windows Start-up Recovery, seeing as how my computer hardly ever starts up properly. I choose to run it, and am given a BSOD with the error message "Machine_Check_Exception". At this point I restart the system, only to encounter scenario 1 again.

Final scenario: I turn on the machine, BIOS loads up, no BSODs pop up, and I manage to get all the way to the Windows loading screen, only for the computer to suddenly reset and hang, sending me back to scenario 1.

So, what should I get replaced? Is it the motherboard that's acting up? Or maybe my hard drives are corrupted? Or is everything completely FUBAR and I should just get a new computer and start rebuilding my life?

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds like a broken motherboard to me.
Or maybe broken RAM. Since it gives a memory error.
But since you tried different RAM, and it keeps this error.

I'ts prolly your motherboard.

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Biostar TA790GX - - I googled it and it seems to be deactivated and very cheap. My guess is this board is junk. Buy a better mobo.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What type of ram have you tried exactly. The same speed, different speed, different manufacturer, EEC, non-ECC?

Some boards can be very picky about ram. You said you have tried different ones, but they could all be similar in spec, which is why I'm asking.

If all else fails I would say it's more then likely the motherboard at fault.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Its the motherboard's fault, trust I know. I have tried multiple times with my old mobo and only to find out it was getting old and dusty. So I have to replace it, also you might need to replace the power supply also.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a ASRock (same as Asus) 780GXE motherboard and I know there has been many issues with RAM. Try to see if you can try out some other RAM, if not then take out one stick at a time.

My board has been going for almost a year without any BSOD's (well, I've gotten one or two but that's because I was messing around with system files).

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the feedback.

Edhel said:
What type of ram have you tried exactly. The same speed, different speed, different manufacturer, EEC, non-ECC?

Some boards can be very picky about ram. You said you have tried different ones, but they could all be similar in spec, which is why I'm asking.

If all else fails I would say it's more then likely the motherboard at fault.

Well, I have 4 sticks of RAM, all of them are the same spec (DDR2 667MHz). I already shipped the board away for repairs/a replacement, as soon as I get another board back I'll try putting in RAM of different speeds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1