Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That wasn't what I was trying to say; I was trying to say the "iPad mini" probably won't happen in October.

What I was alluding to by saying we've seen "iPad mini" rumors for a year or so was that an Apple tablet was subject to rumors about being released "soon" for years. (Of course, I did fail to specify that…)

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a good while. May I ask if there is a untethered jailbreak yet for IOS 6 and if not how long to expect one to appear?
Little tiny search on google would of told you the answer. Either way pod2g said its gunna be atleast a couple of months until any jailbreak appears for ios 6, so still with 5.1.1 for now if you can

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a good while. May I ask if there is a untethered jailbreak yet for IOS 6 and if not how long to expect one to appear?
Little tiny search on google would of told you the answer. Either way pod2g said its gunna be atleast a couple of months until any jailbreak appears for ios 6, so still with 5.1.1 for now if you can

I dont mind the wait at all. Just wanted a heads up on an estimated release and you gave that. Thank you.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
redsn0w 0.9.15b1 is now out. I'll update the guide whenever I can for this… I have anime to watch homework to do, and the only device I can actually test stuff out on is my iPhone, which I can't afford to use as a guinea pig for writing up guide steps.

UPDATE: Updated the "Jailbreaking with redsn0w" section with two new (but not noticeably different) screenshots.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone gotten a jailbreak for the ipad2 stuck on ios 6? didnt save ssh blobs stupid me.
There's no jailbreak for A5 (your iPad 2), A5X, A6, or A6X devices on iOS 6.x. There's also currently no way to downgrade any of them from iOS 6. There is one exception, the iPad 2 if you have any iOS 4.x SHSH blobs saved and the SHSH blobs for the firmware you wish to downgrade to can be downgraded. This exploit would theoretically be possible on all devices, but no post-A4 device except the iPad 2 ever had an iOS 4 release.[/funfact]

The titles, gotos, and credits on the first page have been broken by the shift to new forum software. They'll need to be redone.
Also, a quick note. On bullet point 8 in the FAQ, you should mention that some App Store apps actually do check to see if your device is jailbroken, and they'll disallow functionality if it is. The DirecTV and Wiki Offline are the only two apps I know to do this. It's really worth mentioning, especially considering that Wiki Offline is not a free app. We don't want users buying an app and finding out they can't use it.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you have anything that has the A5, A5X, A6, or A6X (that's the iPad 2 and anything newer), you cannot downgrade once you upgrade to iOS 6.x or newer. If you're on 5.1.1 or lower, you can always downgrade or remain on the same firmware as long as you have your SHSHs handy.

Older devices that are vulnerable to the limera1n exploit can always downgrade if their SHSHs are around.

And speaking of downgrades... Apple has released iOS 6.0.1 and has promptly cut off the signing window for iOS 6.0. They're stepping up their game!

There's no jailbreak for A5 (your iPad 2), A5X, A6, or A6X devices on iOS 6.x. There's also currently no way to downgrade any of them from iOS 6. There is one exception, the iPad 2 if you have any iOS 4.x SHSH blobs saved and the SHSH blobs for the firmware you wish to downgrade to can be downgraded. This exploit would theoretically be possible on all devices, but no post-A4 device except the iPad 2 ever had an iOS 4 release.[/funfact]

The titles, gotos, and credits on the first page have been broken by the shift to new forum software. They'll need to be redone.
Also, a quick note. On bullet point 8 in the FAQ, you should mention that some App Store apps actually do check to see if your device is jailbroken, and they'll disallow functionality if it is. The DirecTV and Wiki Offline are the only two apps I know to do this. It's really worth mentioning, especially considering that Wiki Offline is not a free app. We don't want users buying an app and finding out they can't use it.
Yeah, I'll have to figure out how to work with the new BBcode. :(

There's actually a lot more than apps that check if you're jailbroken or not, and many of them can be sidestepped with a Cydia app called xCon. Perhaps I'll write up a tutorial soon. (I actually have a term paper that I'm supposed to do, but I kept procrastinating. x])

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
How to differentiate iPad 4th Gen:
Lightning port at the bottom instead of 30-pin
MODEL NUMBERS:
A1459 (AT&T and Canadian model)
A1460 (International + Verizon/Sprint)

iPad mini has a significantly thinner bezel and a noticeably smaller screen.
Has stereo speakers.
MODEL NUMBERS:
A1454 (AT&T and Canadian model)
A1455 (International + Verizon/Sprint)

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have a 3GS (new bootrom) on iOS 4.1. It is jailbroken and unlocked via iPad baseband. I now want to upgrade it to iOS 5.1.1 and preserve the unlock. I don't have the SHSH for 5.1.1.

I used snowbreeze but I am getting an error 3194 in iTunes while trying to restore the custom ipsw. Help please! :)

Edit: I've backed up the data on the phone before starting this. After the upgrade will all of my data be deleted? Will I be able to restore the data through iTunes?

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have the SHSHs for iOS 5.1.1, you can't downgrade/restore/update/whatever to it. Right now, Apple's only issuing SHSHs for iOS 4.1 and 6.0.1.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If you don't have the SHSHs for iOS 5.1.1, you can't downgrade/restore/update/whatever to it. Right now, Apple's only issuing SHSHs for iOS 4.1 and 6.0.1.
Then is it safe to update to iOS 6 with the iPad baseband? And will I be able to restore my data after the update? And does SAM work on iOS 6?

Sorry for the barrage of questions :)

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's fine. However, you'll probably get error 1015 if you restore or update (I recommend restoring) in iTunes. This is normal; just use the "Recovery fix" button in redsn0w after you get the error. But before you restore or update, make sure you sync your iPhone first, so that you have an up-to-date backup! :)

Unfortunately, I'm actually not that familiar with SAM, but I do believe it works with iOS 6.

GLiTcH

Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Crap, so yesterday I couldn't make calls or get text. Figured something wrong with my iphone. Talk to customer service said network was fine had to reset all setting n stuff, updated to ios 6.0.1 :(
Went to store to ask, they said they was some network issues on my area, WTF, now i lost my 5.1.1 JB.
No way to downgrade even if i have my shsh right?

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap, so yesterday I couldn't make calls or get text. Figured something wrong with my iphone. Talk to customer service said network was fine had to reset all setting n stuff, updated to ios 6.0.1 :(
Went to store to ask, they said they was some network issues on my area, WTF, now i lost my 5.1.1 JB.
No way to downgrade even if i have my shsh right?
Depends on your phone.

If you have a 4 or a 3GS, both of those are liable to the un-patchable limera1n hardware exploit, so you will always be able to do just about anything with them on any firmware. You will always be able to jailbreak tethered, and you will always be able to restore to any pre-6 iOS version (and possibly also 6, I don't know) assuming you have the SHSH blobs.

If you have a 4S, you're screwed. It has an A5 SoC that is not vulnerable to the limera1n exploit. It cannot be restored to an earlier firmware than the one Apple is currently signing, which for the 4S is 6.0.1.

Though it does not matter at this point, if you do have a 4S, you could have re-restored from 5.1.1 to any iOS 5 version for which you have blobs saved. An exploit in the way iOS 5 handles validation allows that, but it was patched in iOS 6.

tl,dr; If it's a 3GS or 4, you can restore back with blobs. If not, you can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol