GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I need help jailbreaking my ipohne 4 on 5.0.1
i was able to jb it using the newest redsn0w but the cydia icon the I got was blank and it didn't opened.
I did some research and it says that when I do the "Just boot" I have to reselect the ios 5 and the re boot it.
however, when I do that, the Pineapple from redsn0w shows up on the iphone. but right after that, the apple logo comes and it reboots. then it goes to the apple logo again and reboots and it doesn't stop rebooting.
how can I fix this?

nvm. I restore it and used ih8snow instead and it worked.

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
Didn't see it in the original post, might be helpful to someone: you can distinguish the iPhone 3G from the 3GS by the words on the back (serial number, other info). On the 3GS the words are shiny and on the 3G they're just gray.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This sucks. I'm pretty sure I've been following it word for word.

I have an iPod touch 1G 3.1.3 and I followed the guide for sn0wbreeze. I got the custom IPSW on my Desktop, but yet when I go to iTunes after putting the iPod in Recovery Mode and shift + click to browse, it says it can't work because it's not compatible.

Any help?

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Didn't see it in the original post, might be helpful to someone: you can distinguish the iPhone 3G from the 3GS by the words on the back (serial number, other info). On the 3GS the words are shiny and on the 3G they're just gray.
Added. Thanks! :)

I have an iPod touch 1G 3.1.3 and I followed the guide for sn0wbreeze. I got the custom IPSW on my Desktop, but yet when I go to iTunes after putting the iPod in Recovery Mode and shift + click to browse, it says it can't work because it's not compatible.

Any help?
Did you try using pwned DFU Mode? sn0wbreeze can walk you through this process after creating the IPSW. Recovery Mode doesn't work with custom IPSWs, unless you're already jailbroken.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Added. Thanks! :)

Any help?
Did you try using pwned DFU Mode? sn0wbreeze can walk you through this process after creating the IPSW. Recovery Mode doesn't work with custom IPSWs, unless you're already jailbroken.

I don't think current builds of Sn0wbreeze support the iPod touch 1G anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't think it does.

But, you can always just use Jailbreakeme, on th device!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think current builds of Sn0wbreeze support the iPod touch 1G anymore. I could be wrong, but I don't think it does.

It wasn't a current build. It said it has support for the 1G.

I did that. And the window didn't do anything. It just kept saying "running IREB" or whatever. I left it alone, still nothing.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a jailbreak at all for any of the updates 5.0 and up? I have been 4.3.5 for a long time and I'll even take a tethered break if it means being on the latest update too.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You can jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 by pointing redsn0w to the IPSW for iOS 5.0.

First, click on "Extras," then "Select IPSW." Browse to the IPSW for iOS 5.0, then hit "Back" and continue jailbreaking.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
My Ipod Touch 4G is currently rolling iOS 5.0.1, just wondering what a semi-tethered jailbreak is?
A semi-tethered jailbreak is a kind of jailbreak which allows you to reboot your device without needing a computer for “Just Tethered Boot” option in redsn0w. it’s similar to an untethered jailbreak but most (if not all) of your jailbreak related apps and tweaks won’t work at all. The semi-tethered jailbreak is made as a protection if your device reboots.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might want to include a glossary section so that people new to jailbreaking iDevices understand the terminology used. Terms such as IPSW, tethered, un-tethered etc

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I have a weird problem.
Is there a way to make my 3rd party apps have different sounds? I dont want all my 3rd party apps making the tritone noise :(

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Might want to include a glossary section so that people new to jailbreaking iDevices understand the terminology used. Terms such as IPSW, tethered, un-tethered etc
Added. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Nice Glossary! Another term I think you should put on is what a IPSW is so people know what that is

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just lost all of my apps and phone numbers. Would you be able to tell me where the backup data is stored on the computer because I backed up my computer and I want to be able to retrieve the data from my last backup.

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
iFaith 1.4 is out and supports saving the APTicket and SHSHs for iOS 5.0.x… As well as restoring with them. (Read: limera1n-vulnerable devices on 5.0.1 can downgrade to 5.0 if the APTicket and SHSHs were saved!)

Speaking of which, this has yet to be added to the guide for some reason…

Nice Glossary! Another term I think you should put on is what a IPSW is so people know what that is
Done.

I just lost all of my apps and phone numbers. Would you be able to tell me where the backup data is stored on the computer because I backed up my computer and I want to be able to retrieve the data from my last backup.
The backups are stored in "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" in Mac OS X. I don't recall where they are in Windows, I'm afraid. Regardless, backups for newer firmwares are in an encrypted format that people have yet to crack, and can only be used by iTunes.

Valdure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Under jailbreaking with redsn0w 0.9.9b8 on step 6 there's a screenshot with four options. Can someone elaborate on what "Install Custom Bundle" does? And can these options ever be done or changed at a later time? Also if there's anything I should know about these options or the hidden options (since what you're shown varies by device) it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The "Install custom bundle" option tells redsn0w to install something else besides Cydia. As I recall, this was used to install an SSH bundle on the Apple TV 2G a while back, but sat practically dormant since. You don't need to worry about it.

Yes, you can re-run redsn0w to enable battery percentage or multitasking gestures. Be sure to uncheck the "Install Cydia" checkbox prior to doing this, though. (You already have Cydia, so there's no need to install it again!)

Reactions: 1 person

Valdure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah thanks for the info! Sad to see a good contributor go but it happens. While you're at it do you think a section on Bigboss' semitether would be a good idea? or is the guide bloated enough as it is? Not a big deal but would make a nice addition.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.