Dialexio

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the lack of updates guys, but I've been pretty busy with school and stuff. I'll do my best to push a guide update over the weekend for iOS 5.0 (and finally covering the new redsn0w UI!).

When you're updating the guide for iOS 5.0 (which I assume you will), this section can also be simplified a bit: Now if you simply rename redsn0w.exe to anything with "boot" in the name (e.g. "tetheredboot.exe"), it'll automatically boot a tethered device when run, without any need to choose any options etc.
Will do! Thanks for reminding me about that. :)

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't notice any notes in this guide reguarding a procedure for installing ios 5 and jailbreaking it on a 3gs with the ipad 6.15.00 baseband on it. (Though frankly I'd recomend waiting for an official option from dev team.

The method I used calls for users to begin the job by installing the stock iOS5 update then using redsn0w v0.9.9b4/b5 to get past any restore errors you encounter. At this point users will find that there device will still boot but they cant actually use any network functions because of the baseband issue. (The device will seem as though the antenna is broken.) at this point the iphone will fail its activation procedure with itunes. to fix this simply jailbreak with the latest redsn0w. when redsn0w finishes you can go ahead and start itunes again and let it run you through activation/setup of your device.
I believe redsn0w also supports the building of custom ipsw's now as well but I haven't personally tried this method.

This method is exactly how I got to ios 5 successfully on my device. trying to install a prebuilt jailbroken firmware from sn0wbreeze resulted in the cellular data network cutting in and out. hope this helps. For more information check the ihpone dev teams blog.

BTW thanks for the guide. it was a real help when I first started jailbreaking.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks much. like I said restoring to stock iOS 5 first seems to be the best option for this as the custom ipsw's I've built all resulted in broken cellular data network.

Kisho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used redsn0w to jailbreak iOS5 on my iPod Touch 4G and Cydia is showing up as white icon and I can't open it. Any idea on what's wrong?
you need to boot it up with redsn0w its in the extra option
also you need to remember its tethered so when your ipod needs to reboot you have to boot it up again with redsn0w

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey thought Id add in that for 3gs users on ipad baseband that restore with a stock firmware during the jailbreak process I would advise that you do reflash the ipad baseband on your device.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone please help me, i jb my iphone 4 (ios 5) using resn0w and after going into cydia and installing SBSettings (the only reason im even bothereing with jb'ing atm) it rboots and crashes on the apple logo screen. its happened to me twice now first time i had to restore my iphone from scratch all over again. i dont want to have to do that a 2nd time is there any other way to fix it? its been stuck on the apple logo for 10 minutes so far.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Someone please help me, i jb my iphone 4 (ios 5) using resn0w and after going into cydia and installing SBSettings (the only reason im even bothereing with jb'ing atm) it rboots and crashes on the apple logo screen. its happened to me twice now first time i had to restore my iphone from scratch all over again. i dont want to have to do that a 2nd time is there any other way to fix it? its been stuck on the apple logo for 10 minutes so far.
Isn't that a tethered jailbreak?

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
yer but i tohught you'd still be able to install stuff, i mean wth is the point of tetherd if you cant even install something like SBsettings? to play pirated games?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
yer but i tohught you'd still be able to install stuff, i mean wth is the point of tetherd if you cant even install something like SBsettings? to play pirated games?
I have not exactly used tethered before but I believe you need redsn0w on when you reboot your device.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
I have not exactly used tethered before but I believe you need redsn0w on when you reboot your device.

hmm...do you have a guide to what im meant to do exactly? the app was still open when i rebooted but it wasnt doing anything (i.e no options were selected).

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to use the just boot tethered opyion every time you reboot the device (found under extras in the latest version of redsn0w.). It can't boot up on its own after having installed almost anything from cydia. An untethered soluion will allow for yo to simply use as normal. if downgrading is an option do so until a tethered solution becomes available or live with the need to boot tetered every time you power cycle.

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Im aware of that but how do i actually install the app itself, what happens is after installing in cydia it asks me to reboot device to finish the installation and thats when it crashes. how do i prevent that from happening?

misticknight

Trophies
XP
Country
it doesnt turn off though it stays stuck on the apple boot logo, happened twice. the frist time i forced it to turn off and booted using redsn0w again just hoping it'd work and it booted up in safe mode adn i couldnt exit out of it till i done a restore via itunes.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sweet. Works on my iPod Touch 4G with iOS 5. Redsnow (on netbook with XP SP3, no compatibility mode) crashed a few times but a fresh reboot of the iPod and my PC and it worked.

Thank you.

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So iPhone 4 GSM 4.3.5 is still tethered as ios 5 right?
I'm on 4.3.5 tethered right now so i wouldn't mind having ios 5 tethered, but which one do you guys think is going to be untethered faster?
Do you guys think they wouldn't care about the 4.3.5 anymore and just do the ios 5 untethered first? or are they going to/have to do it in order?
because I don't want to update it to ios 5 if its going to take longer. :(
any thought or opinion would be appreciated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1