Hacking Compiling WBFS on Mac OS X

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twidel said:
Guys thank you for this amazing program!

Is super fast! and very good looking!

i dont understand why people here say that is slow!!

thanks thanks thanks!

amazing!

Posts merged

Guys thank you for this amazing program!

Is super fast! and very good looking!

i dont understand why people here say that is slow!!

thanks thanks thanks!

amazing!

g3Power can explain it better, but in some cases it is slow. It depends on what you are writing to. To put it another way:

If you are using the software and the underlying tool to backup your Wii Disks from your Wii onto a drive, and moving those backups off...it is not slow.

If you are putting disk images/iso's from...wherever onto the wbfs disk it can be a bit pokey on some titles due to some OS X issues, and the assumptions wbfs makes about devices. It was clearly not intended to be used on flash-based devices for example from the way the code was written.

It is a lot faster on linux, and windows handles writes a different way than OS X does.

An industrious person could very likely completely re-implement the whole thing because the header for libwbfs is well-commented and explains how the "filesystem" works.

cdreams

Trophies
Website
www.shaunpauljohnston.com
XP
Country
Hi Darken and the rest of the guys who worked on this program for us Mac users.

I just read the last couple of pages today where Collin seems to have rubbed you all up the wrong way and it's obviously ruined things for other users here. I just want to add my two cents in the hope that maybe you release as originally planned.

First, who is to say that Collin isn't some wise ass from Nintendo trying to put the shitters into you guys by bringing up bs legal issues, in the hope that you stop working on the program and nobody gets an even better more efficient version. Guess what, it's worked as your not going to release anything else. Maybe he is just another punter like the rest of us and doesn't know when to shut his mouth unfortunately.

I don't know any of the legal issues, heck I don't even know anything about programming, although I do plan to in the future, but instead of having us all suffer, wouldn't you be willing to share the new versions with people privately if they want it, through a pm or something. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about source codes or anything here, just the actual program.

Anyhoo, just thought I would have my two cents. as you say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I totally agree.

joshysquashy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you wanted, you could create a donate via paypal button, and if the total reaches £x then the update gets released, but don't make it unrealistically high!

I would be more than happy to donate (a small amount) for this program.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cdreams said:
Hi Darken and the rest of the guys who worked on this program for us Mac users.

I just read the last couple of pages today where Collin seems to have rubbed you all up the wrong way and it's obviously ruined things for other users here. I just want to add my two cents in the hope that maybe you release as originally planned.

First, who is to say that Collin isn't some wise ass from Nintendo trying to put the shitters into you guys by bringing up bs legal issues, in the hope that you stop working on the program and nobody gets an even better more efficient version. Guess what, it's worked as your not going to release anything else. Maybe he is just another punter like the rest of us and doesn't know when to shut his mouth unfortunately.

I don't know any of the legal issues, heck I don't even know anything about programming, although I do plan to in the future, but instead of having us all suffer, wouldn't you be willing to share the new versions with people privately if they want it, through a pm or something. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about source codes or anything here, just the actual program.

Anyhoo, just thought I would have my two cents. as you say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I totally agree.

Man, I love the way y'all in the UK talk. Bastards
smile.gif

Collin isn't some mole from Nintendo...he is, as you say another punter. I take him at his word for his "academic interest"...but he also makes a lot of assumptions...missing the forest for the trees. I love his thing about not attributing "HBC"...because like many casual observers, he assumes that the output is effected by a certain input. If he would have looked at the same source code we did...but I digress here.

As for the app, we are putting the finishing touches on it in the most half-hearted, bare minimum, least effort way. It is over. Likely sometime today it will be available somewhere, ask om_nous.

We're already moving on to bigger, better and wholly unrelated things
smile.gif

d10

Posts merged

QUOTE(joshysquashy @ Apr 6 2009, 09:05 AM) If you wanted, you could create a donate via paypal button, and if the total reaches £x then the update gets released, but don't make it unrealistically high!

I would be more than happy to donate (a small amount) for this program.

Nope. Don't want your money
smile.gif

d10

toni.belangenani

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, I just signed up to these forums to say:
darkten and om_nous, I really appreciate the fact that you made your program publicly available. It's pretty rare to see Mac support in these kind of scenes and I'm just really happy with the app you guys made available. For my purposes it's great, it allows me keep a backup copy on my mac, so I don't have to worry about my roommates messing up my original discs and all that without having to switch back and forth via Bootcamp.

Regarding the legal story from the last few pages; i have no idea whether this is legal, but if Nintendo would supply these kind of backup possibilities, I would purchase them in an instant. But as long as they don't, I'm just glad some people dare to work on these "gray" legal areas, they just improve my gaming experience (not having to worry about discs and all).

It's too bad that you've lost the fun in this project, but from the sound of it, you've already found a new project to enjoy, so good luck with that! And even though you apparently don't want any thanks for either the programming work or making it available to us, just know it's appreciated a lot!
Take care!

cdreams

Trophies
Website
www.shaunpauljohnston.com
XP
Country
Regarding what toni.belangenani said, I second it all
biggrin.gif

I'll ask om_nous later and hopefully I will get lucky, otherwise I have the first version which works well enough, so anything improved would be a bonus.

Cheers and good luck on whatever else your working on now
wink.gif

encaputxat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Hi, first for all, thanx for all compiled version but the gui, doesn't work with my powerbook g4 1,5 with 10.5.6, see screenshot... I've tried to replace the wbfs binarie from the .app with my working binarie from page 7 or 8... (Some binaries isn't universal..¿?)

thx

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
encaputxat said:
Hi, first for all, thanx for all compiled version but the gui, doesn't work with my powerbook g4 1,5 with 10.5.6, see screenshot... I've tried to replace the wbfs binarie from the .app with my working binarie from page 7 or 8... (Some binaries isn't universal..¿?)
Probably some endianness issue. I can't verify that because I haven't seen any of the GUI wrapper code. The binaries are both universal.
smile.gif

om_nous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have refrained from voicing my opinion about the recent 'talk' that has been occurring about this application... So as to not build on the situation and keep this as short and painless as possible, I will just respond by stating that I have the same view on this matter as darkten.

Here is what should have been, collin you better fire that copy of xcode back up...

-omi

WBFS for MacOS X
picture147a02.png

Features:
* Threaded process queue
* Add multiple ISO selections (including drag and drop)
* Delete multiple ISO selections
* Extract multiple ISO (including drag and drop)
* Extract HBC
* Reformat Drive
* Change ISOs Name
* Change ISOs Disk ID
* Auto detection of WBFS Drive
* Tons of other 'goodies'

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
And you're not gonna release this? Will you release it if I hire someone to murder collin while he's asleep?
biggrin.gif

And yeah collin, I'm going to make you code this for me... See you in your dreams...
biggrin.gif

joshysquashy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anything I can say or do to make you release it? I would be eternally gratefull!

Ok, perhaps not eternally, but you will make me happy for the next few years!

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Thanks to the tips of a friend I was able to fix the speed issues on Mac OS X. The fix is much more simple than I previously thought possible. When I am done testing I will release this version.

Speeds is up from about 1 MB/s for me to all my old USB enclosure can muster: 11 MB/s. It should now copy at whatever speed your disk/flash device/enclosure/system can manage.

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
om_nous said:
Here is what should have been, collin you better fire that copy of xcode back up...

I'm not at all bothered by people making a pariah out of me for raising legitimate issues, nor people distorting my questions and points. If you feel the need to stop development because of that, founded criticism, then you have an unfortunate problem of attitude.

When I went to sleep, d10 and I were supposedly having a constructive conversation, so let me continue that theme.

darkten said:
I take him at his word for his "academic interest"...but he also makes a lot of assumptions...missing the forest for the trees. I love his thing about not attributing "HBC"...because like many casual observers, he assumes that the output is effected by a certain input. If he would have looked at the same source code we did...but I digress here.

I don't at all have any reason to believe there is OSS in your application. However, I had forgotten the function of this option last night, so this complaint was misplaced. (Forgot that it created an HBC option and not something larger, like install HBC as a while)

cdreams said:
First, who is to say that Collin isn't some wise ass from Nintendo...

New signature material, methinks. FYI, I was always a Sega person.

Posts merged

QUOTE(g3power @ Apr 6 2009, 06:20 PM)
Thanks to the tips of a friend I was able to fix the speed issues on Mac OS X. The fix is much more simple than I previously thought possible. When I am done testing I will release this version.

Was the fix just a buffer or something deeper in darwin?

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The solution to the speed problem basically was replacing the stream functions with the lower level functions (read, write, etc).

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The "Speed Update" still is in testing. It works perfectly well for me. It may still have bugs for others. Be just a tad more patient and be happy that we are putting our data on the line and not yours.
wink.gif

joshysquashy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
g3power said:
The solution to the speed problem basically was replacing the stream functions with the lower level functions (read, write, etc).

That's great! I'm sure darkten & om_nous would be happy to integrate this into their version as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I'm green da-ba-de-da-ba-die.