Hacking Compiling WBFS on Mac OS X

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought this conversation was amiable but you posted this, which I'm not sure whether to take as a broad criticism of software development or a veiled shot at me.

darkten said:
Someone says "hey...let's put something together. This ain't bad...might be useful..." only to have a cavalcade of people that cannot or will not contribute code, art, resources, anything do a bunch of "armchair app architecture" raising the Signal-to-Noise ratio substantially.

The irony is that by not opening it you directly create this scenario, but from the start you haven't seemed open to any contributions.

darkten said:
Or someone with a GPL stick up their asses pulling the sub-paragraphs they like or seem to believe are relevant (believe me...you have to DIG to find Apple's GPL attributions and jump thru hoops to get the source. And ask the kde boys about the source they got back from Apple. We have to give it to you...we don't have to make it easy in ANY WAY to comply) to make a point.

Well, saying that you need to cite derivative/included work is not digging through the GPL to pin something on you. There was simply no notice, at all. And equivocation isn't legitimization. Apple has been heavily criticized for these same things. However, look again at the acknowledgements option in Safari, the GPL and BSD licenses are there with citations of the konqueror people.

darkten said:
See...I've been thru this MANY TIMES in the past 12 years, and when you talk to the *actual copyright holders of the code*, in almost all cases they actually are amused that 1. someone is porting to OS X and 2. if it is in a commercial product that Mac Users are "stupid" enough to pay for value-ad when they can just run stuff in the term.

That isn't a legal argument, kwiirk consciously put gpl, and not bsd, in there and unless he says otherwise, you have to respect that.

QUOTE(darkten @ Apr 6 2009, 11:13 AM)
Usually the most vocal people advocating OSS DO NOT WRITE CODE. It is a "religion" for them.

Two points: I write code, professionally. I use a mac, not Gnu or Linux, and I think RMS is crazy.

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
g3power said:
The solution to the speed problem basically was replacing the stream functions with the lower level functions (read, write, etc).

Doesn't that generally come with more dangers?

MertenNor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Norway
oh tnx for the fast reply g3power
biggrin.gif

and I will wate for the update
yay.gif

MertenNor
PS. sorry for my bad englsih

ub124

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joda said:
roku93 said:
How about porting the howard c's WBFS managers part that makes channels automatically from the games? I dunno how hard that would be, all the necessary parts are probably not for macs...

But anyways, big thanks for all we've got so far. Makes my life easier...
biggrin.gif
This would be awesome, but problem lies in extracting opening.bnr from the disc. As I've understood it HowardC's WBFS manager dynamically links in stuff from WiiScrubber, which is a 100% windoze binary. You'd have to port over the file extraction feature to get this to work. The un-/repacking binaries for wad files are all based on open sourced linux programs, if I don't remember incorrectly. (That's why everyone uses cygwin ports of these.)

HowardC uses my autostart dol for the channels, and that one is easily modified for any game. You can actually even do it with a perl oneliner string replace script ... =)

There was a command line version of wiiscrubber ported over to UNIX called wiiscrubber NG. I don't know if that would help or not.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g3power said:
The "Speed Update" still is in testing. It works perfectly well for me. It may still have bugs for others. Be just a tad more patient and be happy that we are putting our data on the line and not yours.
wink.gif

I thought I had something clever to add here...but I think this pretty much nails it for me.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
collin said:
g3power said:
The solution to the speed problem basically was replacing the stream functions with the lower level functions (read, write, etc).

Doesn't that generally come with more dangers?

In the end, eveything on OS X flows thru read/write. this is how Core* does it. This is what g3 did. Works much better now. MUCH.

d10

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
collin said:
The irony is that by not opening it you directly create this scenario, but from the start you haven't seemed open to any contributions.

darkten said:
Usually the most vocal people advocating OSS DO NOT WRITE CODE. It is a "religion" for them.

Two points: I write code, professionally. I use a mac, not Gnu or Linux, and I think RMS is crazy.

I suggest before you post another word, you click on darkten and read what I've written. Seriously.

d10

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok...we're closing in on this thing...dotting i's, crossing t's, formatting drives and looking for more bugs. Lookin' good.

There will be an update later this evening...if not a full-blown release.

For those that don't mind the terminal, even if we don't nail the UI down, likely a drop of the xcodeproj is on the horizon in the interim....just gotta get our humorous debug messages stripped out and such.

d10

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
For those who know how to do these things: we have posted the source code to the CLI utility at the
github wbfs source code repository

If anyone wants to join the effort as a collaborator: pm me.

If you don't know how to pull the source and what to do with it: please be patient. As soon as we are happy with everything we will post a binary.
smile.gif

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tps2d said:
Does that include the re-written transfer functions for faster speeds?

Nope, they haven't released that yet. It's not too slow, but it is about twice as slow as backing up the actual DVD using USB Loader on the Wii.

tps2d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antiaverage said:
Nope, they haven't released that yet. It's not too slow, but it is about twice as slow as backing up the actual DVD using USB Loader on the Wii.Do you know for sure, or are you guessing? Because it looks like they did update the write_sector function:

New libwbfs_macosx.c
Code:
static int wbfs_write_sector(void *_fp, u32 lba, u32 count, void *buf) {
ÂÂint file_des = *((int *)_fp);
ÂÂu64 off = lba;
ÂÂoff *= 512ULL;
ÂÂsize_t size = count * 512ULL;

ÂÂif ( lseek(file_des, off, SEEK_SET) != off ) {
ÂÂÂÂwbfs_error("error seeking in disc file");
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂreturn 1;
ÂÂ}

ÂÂif ( write(file_des, buf, size) != size ) {
ÂÂÂÂwbfs_error("error writing disc");
ÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂreturn 1;
ÂÂ}

ÂÂreturn 0;
}

Original:
CODEstatic int wbfs_fwrite_sector(void *_fp,u32 lba,u32 count,void*buf)
{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂFILE*fp =_fp;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂu64 off = lba;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂoff*=512ULL;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂif (fseeko(fp, off, SEEK_SET))
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂwbfs_error("error seeking in disc file");
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn 1;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ}
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂif (fwrite(buf, count*512ULL, 1, fp) != 1){
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂwbfs_error("error writing disc");
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn 1;ÂÂÂÂÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ}
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂreturn 0;

}

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
om_nous said:
WBFS for MacOS X

Heh, ./wbfs/

Well done. For the future, you don't actually need that folder. Just need to insert something like "Source for wbfs and others under GPLv.2 -- modifications available at: "

Anyway, may I be the first to say good work and thank you.

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
collin said:
om_nous said:
WBFS for MacOS X

Heh, ./wbfs/

Well done. For the future, you don't actually need that folder. Just need to insert something like "Source for wbfs and others under GPLv.2 -- modifications available at: "

Anyway, may I be the first to say good work and thank you.

Since there is none of their code in ours, our is not technically a derivative work in the sense that accessing binaries on the file system doesn't count as a derivative work the way the license is written...no matter how badly some proponents (not picking on you) wish this were the case. You don't have to credit if say, you run a shell or task with "ls" to show a file listing.

I've been thru this many times; it is a loophole RMS and the FSF cannot close for...practical reasons. That said, everything under the GPL is there.

d10

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
om_nous said:
Great job mates! It seems to work like a charm for me ...

Just one question, does this implementation of wbfs suffer from the same shortcomings as the original/usb-loader one with regards to file system corruption, when you sometimes remove a game somewhere in the middle and then add more? I myself had to format and start over after games started overwriting each other, spreading the misery around--fixing one fucked up another.

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
darkten said:
That said, everything under the GPL is there.

No need to rehash the derivatives issue -- I think you misconstrued my reply. I am saying that you just don't need to actually include the source in the package (that you needlessly over-accommodated
tongue.gif
), the GPL just says that you have to note it somewhere and have it available. I was just suggesting that you make a note of it somewhere (perhaps around the trademarks section of the About dialog) and not bother with shipping the source in the zip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You'd stay on it longer if anything