Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my gateway 2 days ago and played LOZ ocarina of time through the night (stopped at 9am) and right when saving, when pressing x on the homescreen everything froze. I turn it off and on and find out my save is corrupted. Felt like shit this entire day :(. I just might use beta 2 to avoid bad saves.

It's a tough choice: go with b1 to avoid bricking but randomly lose your save games or go with b2 but face a rare but possible brick. Either case kind of makes you want to just put the 3ds away until a new firmware is released. I think if you don't need emunand and are not playing recent games, then 1.2 is suppose to be pretty stable.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a tough choice: go with b1 to avoid bricking but randomly lose your save games or go with b2 but face a rare but possible brick. Either case kind of makes you want to just put the 3ds away until a new firmware is released. I think if you don't need emunand and are not playing recent games, then 1.2 is suppose to be pretty stable.
In order to play the game he's playing, he'd need either b1 or b2. I use 1.2 and it's great. I say to wait until they get a good, stable release, or just buy the game if you can't.

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to play the game he's playing, he'd need either b1 or b2. I use 1.2 and it's great. I say to wait until they get a good, stable release, or just buy the game if you can't.

Ocarina of Time is rather old and I think would work with 1.2. The new Zelda game would not.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I beat the game even though every 4 out of 5 times i saved it got corrupted or didnt save at all because freezing and half way through the game i borrowed a save from filetrip that was at the exact part I saved it. OOT can be played on 1.0 since it came out in 2011 but i wanted to play other games after which required 2.0 to play so i kept beta 1. Beta 1's saving issue is literally game breaking. Using 1.2 or 2b02 is way less a hassle in the long run.

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, considering how hard it was for me to get this thing, I really don't want to end up with a brick.
Well I spend an ENTIRE DAY going from store to store (Mostly Targets) looking for a =<4.5 3DSXL and found nothing, and it wasn't until the day before Christmas that I found a =<4.5 3DSXL at my local Wal-mart super center while going to buy milk. XD

TudorBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bought a 3DS XL for one of my kids, the fw 7.0.0.13 so I am screwed for buying a flashcard until, hopefully, it gets cracked.

Gerbilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bought a 3DS XL for one of my kids, the fw 7.0.0.13 so I am screwed for buying a flashcard until, hopefully, it gets cracked.

At least you can use a flashcard to get access to all the DS (as opposed to 3ds) software, so it is not a complete loss. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new hack though.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, suffice to say, i had been hunting around for a little bit longer than a single day. I'm just glad that I was able to find one. Though now that I also have the tools, I think the second there is a clear shell available for the 3DS XL I would be thoroughly tempted to mod mine to look like that. :ninja:

That said, I definitely know I'll want/need a 3DS mode flashcart. I'm trying to work out where if someone would be willing to buy me one that works, I would be willing to give them my 3DS with its (reasonably fresh) NyKo extended battery. Sadly, yes, I would need to be able to use emuNAND because I want to have the time to migrate my system data from the 3DS to the XL, and the 3DS has the ambassador data and games that I definitely don't want to lose. Since the process seems to imply that the data migration requires them to be able to get online, then it goes without saying that Nintendo will try to make us update. I would certainly be less opposed to update my regular 3DS if I can use emuNAND to fulfill for the receiving XL. Or is there another method available to migrate my data from the (legit) 3DS to the (soon to be) vulnerable XL?

antexity

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At least you can use a flashcard to get access to all the DS (as opposed to 3ds) software, so it is not a complete loss. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new hack though.

Little confused, I have a 3ds with the latest FW, but you are saying I can run DS games on my r4i gold, can the card hold more that one for ds games?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Little confused, I have a 3ds with the latest FW, but you are saying I can run DS games on my r4i gold, can the card hold more that one for ds games?

DS cards can hold as many games as the size of your memory card allows.

Miroku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice thread, lots of helpful info! This reminds me of when i got my first supercard for my dsl. I had a superkey and it was sticking out on the bottom! Paid 90 bux for it. Hope to get in on this soon.

Reactions: Ryukouki

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I spend an ENTIRE DAY going from store to store (Mostly Targets) looking for a =<4.5 3DSXL and found nothing, and it wasn't until the day before Christmas that I found a =<4.5 3DSXL at my local Wal-mart super center while going to buy milk. XD

how do you know which version it is before buying it boxed?
i'm looking to one of those silver Mario & Luigi XLs and i wonder what version those would be

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do you know which version it is before buying it boxed?
i'm looking to one of those silver Mario & Luigi XLs and i wonder what version those would be
It actually has the serial number right on the box, on the bottom I believe. It shouls start with an "SW12...." if it was made in 2012, and I think mine was "SW1270.....". I just asked to look at the boxes since I wanted an earlier model because "The newer ones have hinge issues". As for the Mario and Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL, they are ALL greater than 4.5 since they came out in November/December.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so looks like I have enough money to get one of the cards.

And given my need for system transfer, it seems I'll need to run the Gateway 3DS. Question is... is it possible to temporarily run 2.0b2 on it to handle the system transfer necessary, and then revert to an earlier build (like 2.0b1) to retain and/or minimize the brick risk?

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It actually has the serial number right on the box, on the bottom I believe. It shouls start with an "SW12...." if it was made in 2012, and I think mine was "SW1270.....". I just asked to look at the boxes since I wanted an earlier model because "The newer ones have hinge issues". As for the Mario and Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL, they are ALL greater than 4.5 since they came out in November/December.

aw crap, guess if i get one of those, i'll have to wait it out until they come up with a method for newer versions... hopefully.
thanks for the tip though!

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so looks like I have enough money to get one of the cards.

And given my need for system transfer, it seems I'll need to run the Gateway 3DS. Question is... is it possible to temporarily run 2.0b2 on it to handle the system transfer necessary, and then revert to an earlier build (like 2.0b1) to retain and/or minimize the brick risk?
All you have to do in order to revert to an earlier firmware is change a single file on your 3DS' SD card. Just pray you don't brick your console by only running 2.0b2 once.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do in order to revert to an earlier firmware is change a single file on your 3DS' SD card. Just pray you don't brick your console by only running 2.0b2 once.
Fair enough. Main thing I need to do first and foremost is to do a NAND backup of the XL before I do anything further. Then run the current version long enough to do the system transfer. I should be able to then run said emuNAND even on 2.0b1, right?

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. Main thing I need to do first and foremost is to do a NAND backup of the XL before I do anything further. Then run the current version long enough to do the system transfer. I should be able to then run said emuNAND even on 2.0b1, right?
Yep. But, since the next firmware release is speculated to come out today, you may not even need to do so. Here's to hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64