Hacking Comparison of 3DS Flash Carts/Features - ON HIATUS (9/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would change the last line in this "Quick Summation" table, since the term "clone" is a bit confusing there, because in every other context the word "clone" refers to one flashcard ripping off another one, so one could think that the R4 and 3DSLink aren't clones. I can't think of any other term though xD Maybe knock-off or plagiarism?

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would change the last line in this "Quick Summation" table, since the term "clone" is a bit confusing there, because in every other context the word "clone" refers to one flashcard ripping off another one, so one could think that the R4 and 3DSLink aren't clones. I can't think of any other term though xD Maybe knock-off or plagiarism?

How about "fake revisions", I don't know...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
or we can just omit that line, as there's currently no known clones (different manufacturer creating cards with the same name).
I used the "DS flashcart comparison chart" from wiki as based to create this one. It had the clone line, and I explained what it meant on the wiki.
Either add the explanation, or don't include that line.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed that one of the pros listed for the MT-Card is that it has a CPU which the charts on the wiki and the original post seem to suggest is an exclusive feature of the MT-Card.

I've looked at images of both the MT-Card and Gateway Carts and can't seem to identify this MT-Card CPU that people are talking about.

I realize that the MT-Card team claims that they have a CPU in the Cart, but looking at the two images side by side, I can't seem to locate any component which can possibly be a CPU on the the MT-Card which has no similar counterpart on the Gateway.

Here are the two internals side by side, for easier comparison.

MT-Card

3972ae7d-7a51-47f2-8f03-5983c8144df3.jpg

Gateway

DgDOztu.jpg

The backs of both card just have the Actel ProASIC3 FPGA.

If anyone can point out which component on the MT-Card the exclusive CPU is, please enlighten me.

Some are saying that the CPU that the MT-Card team is referring to is actually the Actel ProASIC3 FPGA. This chip, however, is present on all the 3DS Carts listed on both the Wiki and on the Original Post. If this is actually the case, I believe that listing a CPU on the cart as a Pro solely on the MT-Cart is more than a bit misleading. This is only made worse by the chart which lists the built-in CPU as a feature of MT-Cart but not of any of the other carts.

If the FPGA is indeed the built-in CPU that the MT-Card team is referring to, then all the Carts should be listed as having a CPU as not to mislead people into thinking that the MT-Card has a central component in it that the other Carts lack.

I also noticed that, according to the chart, the System Firmware Spoofing is supported on the MT-Cart but EmuNAND is not. I was under the impression that EmuNAND was a prerequisite of spoofing the Firmware as the emulated NAND contains the appropriate Firmware version that is to be spoofed.

Is this simply a mistake on the chart or is MT-Card using a different approach to do their System Firmware Spoofing?

Reactions: Terminator02

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also noticed that, according to the chart, the System Firmware Spoofing is supported on the MT-Cart but EmuNAND is not. I was under the impression that EmuNAND was a prerequisite of spoofing the Firmware as the emulated NAND contains the appropriate Firmware version that is to be spoofed.

Is this simply a mistake on the chart or is MT-Card using a different approach to do their System Firmware Spoofing?
I can't really say something to the CPU so I'll skip that point.

The first Firmware Spoofing of the GW only removed/ disabled the update that comes with the game cards. It works with games like M&L Dream Team Bros or Bravely Default but not with the newest games (like a link between worlds).

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can't really say something to the CPU so I'll skip that point.

The first Firmware Spoofing of the GW only removed/ disabled the update that comes with the game cards. It works with games like M&L Dream Team Bros or Bravely Default but not with the newest games (like a link between worlds).

Not even related to the quote...
There's a topic made by 3DSGuy where this is well explained. SDK CARD2, etc.

El_tiburon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Any news on that mt-card being released? they said on their news web site, they will release it on the 3 Jan, has it been seen yet?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any news on that mt-card being released? they said on their news web site, they will release it on the 3 Jan, has it been seen yet?

I think some reviewers have them, but as far as we know, it's more of the same thing (clones).

El_tiburon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
I think some reviewers have them, but as far as we know, it's more of the same thing (clones).

could be a clone but what about that button to switch rom everybody is talking about? Also think GW will have to to work a way around it as there is no button on GW card.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be a clone but what about that button to switch rom everybody is talking about? Also think GW will have to to work a way around it as there is no button on GW card.

I'm not banking much into that, and I'm gonna look out for some actual English reviews. :D

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I noticed that one of the pros listed for the MT-Card is that it has a CPU which the charts on the wiki and the original post seem to suggest is an exclusive feature of the MT-Card.

I've looked at images of both the MT-Card and Gateway Carts and can't seem to identify this MT-Card CPU that people are talking about.

I realize that the MT-Card team claims that they have a CPU in the Cart, but looking at the two images side by side, I can't seem to locate any component which can possibly be a CPU on the the MT-Card which has no similar counterpart on the Gateway.

Here are the two internals side by side, for easier comparison.

MT-Card

[snip]

Gateway

[snip]

The backs of both card just have the Actel ProASIC3 FPGA.

If anyone can point out which component on the MT-Card the exclusive CPU is, please enlighten me.

Some are saying that the CPU that the MT-Card team is referring to is actually the Actel ProASIC3 FPGA. This chip, however, is present on all the 3DS Carts listed on both the Wiki and on the Original Post. If this is actually the case, I believe that listing a CPU on the cart as a Pro solely on the MT-Cart is more than a bit misleading. This is only made worse by the chart which lists the built-in CPU as a feature of MT-Cart but not of any of the other carts.

If the FPGA is indeed the built-in CPU that the MT-Card team is referring to, then all the Carts should be listed as having a CPU as not to mislead people into thinking that the MT-Card has a central component in it that the other Carts lack.

That 48 qfp chip smack in the middle of the MT seems kinda suspicious compared to the 24 pin qfp on the right of the Gateway.

Although I was able to make out the markings of the MT one, some googling didn't turn up anything tangible (no wonder if it's some cloned chip), but I suppose it's a microcontroller and not a cpu.

"But bkifft, it has more pins than the one on the Gateway, so it has to be better!"

No, not necessarily. More pins just mean more interfaces, and one would have to spend some quality time with a logic analyzer to figure out for what they utilize it (although I'd wager they use it for the led, the switch and the usb port).

El_tiburon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Looking at both cards all I can say GW looks a lot better done than the MT, On components and soldering. Guess will have to wait, I will try to seek on the web some more info.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Looking at both cards all I can say GW looks a lot better done than the MT, On components and soldering. Guess will have to wait, I will try to seek on the web some more info.

Yeah, the MT looks custom made underneath, and that can be taken as an insult or a compliment. They are preview cards though, so we'll see in the future if they can handle it a bit better.

kimdoocheol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm debating on whether or not to get the R4IS or the Gateway3ds. I've read up on it quite a bit, but am still a bit confused.

So far it sounds like R4IS main advantage is a higher fw of woods, which has better 2ds game compatibility? And it's main downfall is the fact that it doesn't have a springloaded microsd card, so after time, the gold pins might rub off. As far as updates though, they seem quite regular and more often than Gateway 3ds?

As far as the gateway 3ds goes, it has a hacked version of 1.56 woods, and can only run hacked versions. Is there a chance that we could get an updated hacked woods fw, or is just getting an update completely out of the question? This card is more appealing for aesthetic and the spring loaded micro sd.

I'm a bit confused on what one to get... Price isn't really a factor, but it seems like the R4I has more advantages over the gateway for compatability alone. I tried searching online for the difference between 1.56 to 1.64 and I couldn't really find anything.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm debating on whether or not to get the R4IS or the Gateway3ds. I've read up on it quite a bit, but am still a bit confused.

So far it sounds like R4IS main advantage is a higher fw of woods, which has better 2ds game compatibility? And it's main downfall is the fact that it doesn't have a springloaded microsd card, so after time, the gold pins might rub off. As far as updates though, they seem quite regular and more often than Gateway 3ds?

As far as the gateway 3ds goes, it has a hacked version of 1.56 woods, and can only run hacked versions. Is there a chance that we could get an updated hacked woods fw, or is just getting an update completely out of the question? This card is more appealing for aesthetic and the spring loaded micro sd.

I'm a bit confused on what one to get... Price isn't really a factor, but it seems like the R4I has more advantages over the gateway for compatability alone. I tried searching online for the difference between 1.56 to 1.64 and I couldn't really find anything.
3DS Mode flashcards only work for the firmwares between 4.1 and 4.5. Both, the GW and the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe from R4ids.cn come with both, a DS mode card and a 3DS mode card. The DS mode card that comes with the R4i is better but the support for 3DS mode GW card is better.

Here is a link to a hacked wood 1.62 Version for the Gateway.

kimdoocheol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS Mode flashcards only work for the firmwares between 4.1 and 4.5. Both, the GW and the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe from R4ids.cn come with both, a DS mode card and a 3DS mode card. The DS mode card that comes with the R4i is better but the support for 3DS mode GW card is better.

Here is a link to a hacked wood 1.62 Version for the Gateway.

Yeah, thanks, I understand how the FW and the cards work, I was just wondering from a compatibility and aesthetic standpoint. I mean, if a hacked woods 1.62 is available, what games does 1.64 play over 1.62? I'm just talking about straight 2ds games, as I know their compatibility is almost identical with 3ds games.

It seems like Gateway with the springloaded micro sd would be useful, so I could just pop out the sd and replace it without removing the card each time. However, as far as updates go... it seems like R4i has updates on a more regular basis.

I think what I'm asking for is if price wasn't a factor, would more people get the Gateway 3ds or R4i. I just keep thinking of having better compatibility with 2ds games as a bigger benefit, but then again, if they keep releasing hacked versions of woods then yeah... it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I am pretty sure i'm going with the Gateway 3ds. just buying these carts is always iffy, cause the moment you buy one the other one might have a feature or update that is more valuable.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, thanks, I understand how the FW and the cards work, I was just wondering from a compatibility and aesthetic standpoint. I mean, if a hacked woods 1.62 is available, what games does 1.64 play over 1.62? I'm just talking about straight 2ds games, as I know their compatibility is almost identical with 3ds games.

It seems like Gateway with the springloaded micro sd would be useful, so I could just pop out the sd and replace it without removing the card each time. However, as far as updates go... it seems like R4i has updates on a more regular basis.

I think what I'm asking for is if price wasn't a factor, would more people get the Gateway 3ds or R4i. I just keep thinking of having better compatibility with 2ds games as a bigger benefit, but then again, if they keep releasing hacked versions of woods then yeah... it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I am pretty sure i'm going with the Gateway 3ds. just buying these carts is always iffy, cause the moment you buy one the other one might have a feature or update that is more valuable.
Both 3DS mode cards don't work with the 2DS. 1.64 only has a "GW_INSTALLER.NDS" included into the Firmware.
GW has no official updates for the DS mode flashcard but you can use the hacked version or the Ace3DS+ AOS. The R4i has official Wood support. GW's DS mode flashcard works only until the 3DS firmware 6.1.X but the R4i Gold works with 7.1.X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1