Hacking comex's brawl haxx

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
syst3merror said:
not to sound TOO ignorant, but this is basically a new version of the Twilight Princess hack right? Sorry to sound n00bish, but I just wanted to ask.

Basically. But this one can't be blocked as easily since it doesn't have to pass through the System Menu to get loaded into the Wii.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they can still block this all they have to do is make an update that deletes the hbc itself and any other custom chans. this hack might actually make nintendo to start getting serious.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
they can still block this all they have to do is make an update that deletes the hbc itself and any other custom chans. this hack might actually make nintendo to start getting serious.

True but, this allows us to run unsigned code. Being able to run unsigned code is all we need. i.e. - running code to install older ios, cios, anything to allow us to install hbc.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's true. Even if they delete the HBC or cIOS or whatever, this will allow it to be reinstalled in an altered form unless they somehow manage to permanently defeat the HackMii installer.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you say copy over the file... where do you copy it? if it's something you copy to the Wii like game save data then Nintendo can easily stop it just by checking for it at the time you copy it over. They already did that on sm4.0 with the twilight hack.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You put it on your SD card in the same directory where you put custom stages for Barlw. The reason they were able to block the TP Hack is because the System Menu is what's in charge of savegames and they can update that to block stuff.

This exploit, however, depends entirely on code that runs from the game disc and that can only be updated by Nintendo sending out armies of ninjas to steal your Brawl and replace it with a bugfixed version.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
You put it on your SD card in the same directory where you put custom stages for Barlw. The reason they were able to block the TP Hack is because the System Menu is what's in charge of savegames and they can update that to block stuff.

This exploit, however, depends entirely on code that runs from the game disc and that can only be updated by Nintendo sending out armies of ninjas to steal your Brawl and replace it with a bugfixed version.
Another plus of this is that even if they DO have the System Menu delete the hack from your SD card, it's certainly possible for you to simply put it back on the card once Brawl is running since it supports hot swapping cards.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this going to work on all system menus i'm guessing yes and i'm also guessing this is going to work on all wii's also even the new ones.

this is cool because if i ever get a second wii i can use comex's brawl haxx.hopefully no offense to nintendo but i hope no matter what system menu the wii gets before the next gen i hope there will always be a way to softmod.

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work dude
smile.gif

Will help many people!

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This baby will be hard to break. And in the event where nintendo updates and fails in destroying it we probably won't even have to update it due to it not using system menu. They probably can't fix it easily because of the non system menu usage.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
fst312 said:
is this going to work on all system menus i'm guessing yes and i'm also guessing this is going to work on all wii's also even the new ones.

this is cool because if i ever get a second wii i can use comex's brawl haxx.hopefully no offense to nintendo but i hope no matter what system menu the wii gets before the next gen i hope there will always be a way to softmod.
Well, this is, as mentioned before, more or less unpatchable. They can of course fix the bug and issue a SSBB v1.1 set of discs, but since the game's been out for quite a while, and have sold really good, they can't ever fix all broken discs in circulation.

With regard to the earlier post about how Twilight Hack got busted, and about Nintendo making System Menu autodelete HBC and so on. It won't work anyway.

Twilight Hack got busted because you had to use the by Nintendo patchable System Menu to actually transfer the exploit to the Wii. In the same way can bannerbomb be b0rked by an upcoming System Menu update. This however could not be patched without disabling SD-loading all together, since the exploitable code is hard-coded on DVD (or WOD .. sorry), and no possibility of real time patching exists on the Wii. This is however not feasible, since it would break a large portion of SSBB:s intended functionality.
QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Jun 5 2009, 04:09 AM) they can still block this all they have to do is make an update that deletes the hbc itself and any other custom chans. this hack might actually make nintendo to start getting serious.
If they were to issue some sort of auto-deletion measure, Team Twiizers can always just fiddle around with title-ID and the tickets and such to fool the detection of what is HBC, and what is legit. In the worst case scenario, you might as well just spoof the ticket of Photo Channel or whichever---who uses it anyway? Since Nintendo wouldn't dare making an unspecific patch which was to start fucking up stuff it shouldn't do---lawsuit anyone?---this won't happen.

This would also only affect installed content, and we would always have the entry point for running unsigned code left intact. So as soon as a new exploit in any IOS is found---and there are presumably quite a few---WHAM! Nintendo got pwned again.

So summing it up, this is excellent news!!!

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's what blew them up +1