Hardware Combo Thread: Should I get 3DS, DSiXL, or 3DSXL? What flashcart to get for system?

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to know whether you guys think I should get a 3DS, 3DSXL, or DSiXL.

Also, I already own an AK2i but if I get a 3DS I won't be able to play it.
I know I could simply not update but at some point I would want to play New Super Mario Bros. 2 which if I'm not mistaken, needs 4.3.0-10 right?
Please tell me whether to get SuperCard DSTWO or R4i Gold 3DS.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point, it seems silly not to get a 3DS if you want something to remain viable going forward. At the least, the 3DS can play pretty much any of the DS and DSi games on top of games made for the 3DS.

The bigger screens on the 3DS XL are nice, but even then you're only getting slightly better battery life than the standard 3DS when referring to strictly the stock batteries in both. But right now from what I've seen, there are yet to be any extended batteries available for the XL, but there are a fair few for the standard 3DS.

Given the R4 series' reputation, and how many of the over 9000 clones have been abandoned as soon as a new update comes out here or there, the DStwo seems to be much more the "buy it once and be done" kind of card, and easily the most feature-rich DS mode flash cart out there. Many props to the supercard team for supporting this fine piece of cart.

Reactions: boombox

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah like I don't really care about the battery life because I'm going to buy the Nyko Power Grip with it.
The only thing that kinda worries me is the bottom screen scratching the top screen.
Also, does playing DS games on the 3DS look as horrible as people make it out to be?
Another thing, can I still play ds download play with other regular DS's?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, it did look pretty bad, but several system updates were done since then to address it. If you're a 'purist', you could have the 3DS render the game(s) in their original resolution, but I'm fine with the rescaling that the 3DS does to those games. :)

the 3DS still supports download play. I know it's there, but I've just simply never had to use it.

The 3DS XL's larger screens are nice admittedly, but there's no Circle Pad accessory or extended battery for it.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 DSi's (black and white) and a DSi XL for those games and I got a 3ds upon relase day ambassador. Honestly, when comparring side by side the two (3ds Xl & DS Xl, I'm hard pressed to spot any real noticable difference in graphics. I will say, regarding battery life, I wish I had kept my 3ds (reg) with the nyko bricks, I never had it on charger, or ever ran out... (Also, I am simple not that much more impressed with the real estate on the 3ds XL, buyers remorse...)Yes 3ds takes DSi (XL) download games the same as any DSi would... You just hit the download button on the main screen, after initiating on the DSi as normal.y, it's a orange icon.

To solve the color shortage issue for the 3ds (in the US), Ebay makes some real nice hard covers for 3ds XL that are wafer thin and really light being made of teflon painted Aluminum(felt lined) which hides the original colors almost totally, stays on firmly, and is available in everything EXCEPT white ,<GRrrr>. These covers look like there are no covers on at all. Oh, also they are designed very well, without hinges so none to break... FYI, they match the actual system colors extremely well too, but arger variety.. I got black making my 3ds Xl appear totally black, without hte weight addition.

annnnd that's my 2 cents...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3DSXL & DSTWO - nothing else needs to be said really! The 2nd circle pad is coming, but since you've only mentioned NSMB2 there's no need for it for you....
If you can afford it and still want to give your acekard a bit of love, then grab a DSiXL 2nd hand or something, but once you pick up the DSTWO there's no need to do so.. I've got both 3DS & XL, and have honestly never touched the former after buying the latter....

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. After a bit of research I have decided. I am going with the original 3DS! What I'm going to do is buy a used 3DS off amazon along with a pack of styli, the nyko power grip, and a pack of screen protectors. If its not updated to 4.3.0-10, I'll continue to use my AK2i. Then later, I'll buy an R4i Gold. The end total with out the R4 is $153.61

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had absolutely NO clue what you want to buy so you open a new thread. Then you come back after doing some "research", and you take nearly NONE of the advice given to you in the thread? (except buying a 3DS rather than a DSi)

What the hell was your decision based on?

Also it's hard to be cheap when you're buying a 3DS. Since you won't be able to play any of the games (retail or downloadable) without actually buying them, you're gonna want to be buying games unless you're happy finishing off the DS library (that should take you awhile.) Seriously, I was smart enough to wait on the Wii, DS, and PSP to get hacked before buying them, but not the 3DS, and I've poured over $400-500 into it that could have gone toward a nice high-end desktop PC.

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had absolutely NO clue what you want to buy so you open a new thread. Then you come back after doing some "research", and you take nearly NONE of the advice given to you in the thread? (except buying a 3DS rather than a DSi)

What the hell was your decision based on?

Also it's hard to be cheap when you're buying a 3DS. Since you won't be able to play any of the games (retail or downloadable) without actually buying them, you're gonna want to be buying games unless you're happy finishing off the DS library (that should take you awhile.) Seriously, I was smart enough to wait on the Wii, DS, and PSP to get hacked before buying them, but not the 3DS, and I've poured over $400-500 into it that could have gone toward a nice high-end desktop PC.
Calm down bro.
I did take their advice. I decided to go with Devin's 3DS. I will probably be getting a DSTwo to go with it like someone mentioned.
And whats the use of making a smart remark if this thread is pretty much over.

(Can an admin please delete this thread? Thank you! -XPro)

LeomelsonBato

Trophies
XP
Country
I too troubled on what to pick if the 3DS or 3DS XL... because they said that the 3DS XL has a lot of improvements like the Screen/Graphics/3D Effect/Battery but its hard to find and expensive.... and for the 3DS they say that the screen scratches each other but the 3DS looks pretty nice,cheap and easy to find.... cant pick.. :whip:

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too troubled on what to pick if the 3DS or 3DS XL... because they said that the 3DS XL has a lot of improvements like the Screen/Graphics/3D Effect/Battery but its hard to find and expensive.... and for the 3DS they say that the screen scratches each other but the 3DS looks pretty nice,cheap and easy to find.... cant pick.. :whip:
Well I am going with the 3DS because it has extended batteries and more accessories.
Plus it will fit in my pockets. :)
Considering you were asking for advice on what to spend your money on, he was pointing out that it's in your favor to actually listen to advice, rather than ignore it all and do what you want anyways.
Oh. I see. Well I guess it makes sense.
I'm such an idiot. Oh, by the way Rydian, that profile picture is creepy. But cool.

LeomelsonBato

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I am going with the 3DS because it has extended batteries and more accessories.
Plus it will fit in my pockets. :)

Oh. I see. Well I guess it makes sense.
I'm such an idiot. Oh, by the way Rydian, that profile picture is creepy. But cool.

im still thinking of the bigger screen though... oh well next week is the time to buy a 3DS i still got a week to decide...

LeomelsonBato

Trophies
XP
Country
guys what do you think are better for showing off? 3DS or 3DS XL
because 3DS has a cool Case and Design and 3DS XL doesnt have that cool of a design but it has
a cooler and bigger screen for showing off my games....

LeomelsonBato

Trophies
XP
Country
The XL series of the DS was made to allow other people to watch the player.

good point.. but i think im gonna go to the original 3DS because of its design and just like as i say the 3DS is easier to find here... but if i find a cheap 3DS XL here i will buy it..

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calm down bro.
I did take their advice. I decided to go with Devin's 3DS. I will probably be getting a DSTwo to go with it like someone mentioned.
And whats the use of making a smart remark if this thread is pretty much over.

(Can an admin please delete this thread? Thank you! -XPro)

I was just pointing out that you opened a thread that was fairly pointless, and on top of that you barely listened to ANYBODY. I just don't see the point.

I felt that I was calm with that reply. Calmer than you are...

(and don't think I'm overreacting with that statement. it was simply a Big Lebowski reference... ;)

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just pointing out that you opened a thread that was fairly pointless, and on top of that you barely listened to ANYBODY. I just don't see the point.

I felt that I was calm with that reply. Calmer than you are...

(and don't think I'm overreacting with that statement. it was simply a Big Lebowski reference... ;)
I can see where you're coming from, but still...

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a chance to play the 3DS XL and I didn't really like it. A little too big (especially the screen sizes.) I find that the regular 3DS is perfectly fine if you hold it without a couple feet of your face. Although it does have the problem with the top screen having two lines on the side caused by the bottom screen's "surrounding area." That drove me nuts, and I SHOULD have sent it in before my warranty ran out but it's just too damn hard to part with that thing for however long they take. It's pretty much the only system I play (including DS games via flashcart.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc