Gaming Codename S.T.E.A.M. update for N3DS solution request

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I don't often talk to much about games on site but need some advice for a specific workaround

The game Codename S.T.E.A.M. (steam) has a recent update version 1.20

I noticed after adding the update to the game in emuNAND on my N3DS (9.5 of course) that the game now sits on a looping 3ds logo when you try to launch the game

At first i thought it may be a bad dump, or some corruption etc... but after re installation the same results were replicated

I had a friend try the exact same thing on his N3DS with the same results

Then a second friend using an O3DS it works just fine for him, so the conclusion is obvioulsy that the update has a higher FW requirement built into it

My question, is there a work around for this on updates ? I am aware of the process with normal game titles (crypto-fix) but this is the first time I have come across this with a game update

Just to add all 3 consoles are EUR using rxTools, the 2 on N3DS 9.5 no go, the 1 O3DS on the higher FW works fine

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted-236924

Update downloaded directly from the eShop?
You may have to find a cryptofixed .cia of the update online, because anything on the eShop that requries 9.6 or higher won't be able to run on a 9.5 emunand even if you have eShop access and you can download everything just fine.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Update downloaded directly from the eShop?
You may have to find a cryptofixed .cia of the update online, because anything on the eShop that requries 9.6 or higher won't be able to run on a 9.5 emunand even if you have eShop access and you can download everything just fine.

Hi and thank you for the speedy reply

It was from a cia source, I kind of already figured it need 9.6+ FW but have never seen a crypto-fixed update release before and if it can even be done ?

D

Deleted-236924

Well I looked into it and I think you may be right that game updates aren't crypto-fixed but I think they may still need firmware spoofing.
More info that I found here, it looks pretty complicated. There might be fw-spoofed versions of that update available online for downloading but if there isn't, either you'd have to figure out how to unpack the update cia on your own to edit what you have to edit, or someone could do it and make a patch for the regular cia (in xdelta format or whatever.)

D

Deleted-236924

If freemultipatcher works then it's probably a better solution, imo.
Then you can be sure everything is really working.

D

Deleted-236924

Solution was experimental so we kept it to PMs but if someone's interested...
This tutorial as linked by peter above shows you how to decrypt the update .cia and unpack it.

Then you open exheader in a hex editor and change 0x39c and 0x79c to "21 02" as instructed in this post.

Wasn't sure how to repack it into a .cia, this post has instructions on doing it except it wasn't able to re-encrypt the .cia and I have no idea how to do that. It installs fine and apparently works fine, though, but for some reason it more than halves the file size.

Experimental solution because I'm not quite sure why file size ended up so small compared to the original, I'm not sure why it appears to work without being encrypted, but until we notice problems it seems to be working as intended.

Anyway if you don't want to do this all by yourself you can get Lunar IPS and this patch file to patch the Code Name S.T.E.A.M. 1.2.0 update .cia (if patching does not work or the resulting .cia does not work then you may not have the same update .cia we had, should be fine though.)

I definitely recommend trying out freemultipatcher first, I never have to use it so the thought never crossed my mind, but if it works it's probably a better solution because you know your updates are 100% working, as opposed to an experimental fix.

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was using that method, same as triforce heroes. Figured out that my rsf file was not well edited (don't know why), now it works. For the record, I used the values "2E02" (for fw 9.0-9.2) instead of "2102" (fw 4.0 if I remember correctly). The difference in size for triforce heroes was due to the manual included or not, so I guess could be the same in this case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.