ROM Hack Club Penguin (music files help)

Raulix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I recently found out that the CP:EPF music files (sound effects too) are just binary files (.bin) I tried to extract the files with DSLazy, DSI SLR, VGMToolbox, Tinke, UltraISO and DS Sound Extractor. But, I didn't get something. Does anyone know how to edit/extract these kind of files? Thanks.

-R

Music Files

Attachments

• sound.rar
    3.2 MB · Views: 594

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen that format before and I do make a habit of pulling apart the odd ones ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ ).

If you just want to trip them then emulators are probably your better bet. If there are no quiet points in the game then you might be able to remove the sfx or vice versa if you want to rip those.

Taking a look at the stuff provided.

They compress fairly well there it seems which is sort of odd as most will toss in at least a basic compression but OK.
I might have to take a look at the whole ROM to make sure there are no helper files to go with those.
Anyway no apparent names in the file.

I did a raw data import in audacity using PCM and ADPCM. Sounded at points like I was in a modern film trailer ("BWAHHH") but comparing to

some of the things I heard matched a bit and while I don't know if it was emulation quality or youtube quality it matches what most devs of such games did with the DS hardware.

Anyway 2.1 megs is not an awful lot for a game's worth of music in raw formats so they might have done a sequenced track (like midi except no indicators that this is midi like some other games we saw) and what I was hearing was the instruments for it. That is rare as most devs did not make their own formats.

Trying the sfx instead got me somewhere. Importing in audacity as raw audio and selecting ADPCM (the DS supports it in hardware after all) at 22050Hz (this might vary a bit so try in audacity as it will tell you the sample rate being used at any given time in its audio window) got me a long list of sound effects like in the video and what I generally hear in games.

The start of the files if you set the width of the hex editor to C per line has what looks like a setup/header section. The sfx one has a lot more entries as one would expect, the music one has far fewer before we see lots of 00s again as one might expect ( https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ds/950911-club-penguin-elite-penguin-force/cheats says 13 missions in the game, add on some for the menus, credits and such and that is about right ).

The sfx one has a lot of the same value in the header ( 22 56 02 00 ) which makes me wonder if it is a volume/sample rate type indicator. This should be easy enough to test as fiddling with the number should then change the volumes or playback speed.
The very start of both files is 0101 in hex which is OK. After that in SFX is AF00 which if you divide the length of the section (837 hex) by C you get AF (things on the DS tend to flip due to endianness). It is 4A in music.bin which is smaller as befits the smaller section, though causes some problems as it does not match a lot of what I am seeing right now (if it is is midi that might be a different matter).
The sfx stuff appears to start at 0A00, lo and behold the next part of the header section for SFX is 000A
Carrying on in SFX the next two values when flipped say 1000 and 2400, you will never guess where the following two sections start. The following sections appear to be increasing in number in that position

00 3E 26 00 ( is the last entry and that matches what I am seeing as the last sound effect in the file.

If the start identical sections are volume or something we then have a third "column" to look at. It is somewhat random compared to the others.
Size of section is usually a good start here but where I am seeing a big number in said column I am not seeing a correspondingly large jump in location. Could still be (might be that the upper bits are used for something else) but who knows.

Back to music.
This seems less obvious.
The numbers seem to be increasing for the most part*. The last entry (6C 31 20 00) when flipped gives 0020316C which does appear to be right before the end of the file and what could be the start of something.
*there appear to be 3 entries at the start but the third one is odd. Bonus here is 1B which is earlier in the header is 27 in decimal and there are 27 entries after that odd one.
This one might take a little longer and it appears to be 4am here so I will leave that one for now.
Header section from the music.bin file split into columns
Code:
01 01 4A 1B
----
54 E1 1D 00 
D0 E1 1D 00 
24 67 01 00 
F4 48 1F 00 
48 51 1F 00 
9C 59 1F 00 
F0 61 1F 00 
58 6B 1F 00 
C0 77 1F 00 
04 7D 1F 00 
68 87 1F 00 
80 8E 1F 00 
D8 97 1F 00 
F0 9E 1F 00 
58 A8 1F 00 
B8 B1 1F 00 
8C B8 1F 00 
A4 BF 1F 00 
F8 C7 1F 00 
6C D6 1F 00 
D4 E1 1F 00 
48 F0 1F 00 
80 F3 1F 00 
D0 FB 1F 00 
AC 03 20 00 
08 0E 20 00 
48 12 20 00 
9C 19 20 00 
0C 27 20 00 
6C 31 20 00

noddy360

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guatemala
Ok so someone made a tool to uncompress the game's arc and bin files.
The audio files are stored in a .voxadpcm format and I don't know how to open them. Does anyone know how to open these files?

raiho

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so someone made a tool to uncompress the game's arc and bin files.
The audio files are stored in a .voxadpcm format and I don't know how to open them. Does anyone know how to open these files?

Can I ask what tool that was? And did you have any luck opening the audio files?

winonamac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW is DeSmuME helpful. By using one of its tools (Sound view) I found out that it uses the format IMA-ADPCM. By Using SoX and the info that we already had, I was able to get better results than the options Audacity had.
The sfx one has a lot of the same value in the header ( 22 56 02 00 ) which makes me wonder if it is a volume/sample rate type indicator.
while in the sound viewer I noticed that "504 Bias" was 0200. TBH idk what 504 Bias is but you guys might know. I attached the converted music.bin file and a screenshot of the Sound Viewer while I was in the town center. There are still some parts of the file that seem like they use a different audio format or that they need to be set at a different volume so I'm going to mess around with the audio settings for a bit

Address 02000000 or 00000200?

Attachments

• music.rar
    1.4 MB · Views: 260
  • SoundView.PNG
    SoundView.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited by winonamac,
Reactions: Stealphie

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dssoundcontrolregisters

Most DS hardware control and status indicated are located in the
4000000 region of memory

504, or indeed 4000504h if looking at the memory as a whole is the bias register. The link above explaining what it does (computers use 1 and 0, don't know what + and - is aka what sign it is, unless you define a situation with it, converting from signed to unsigned then being something you might want to do if computers again don't know what signed is and prefer to operate with unsigned). It mostly being a way to convert data from one form to another to use in the hardware.

winonamac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCM8?!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most DS hardware control and status indicated are located in the
4000000 region of memory

504, or indeed 4000504h if looking at the memory as a whole is the bias register. The link above explaining what it does (computers use 1 and 0, don't know what + and - is aka what sign it is, unless you define a situation with it, converting from signed to unsigned then being something you might want to do if computers again don't know what signed is and prefer to operate with unsigned). It mostly being a way to convert data from one form to another to use in the hardware.
Oh Ok Thanks!

Attachments

• SoundView.PNG
    SoundView.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 254

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PCM = pulse code modulation but that is just trivia. It is a way, indeed the main way most of computing and electrical hardware, stores and plays back audio taken from the real world (think microphone) if it is not compressed into MP3 or something.

The DS supports 3 main formats of PCM.
16 bit
8 bit, this presumably being what the 8 stands for here.
AD-PCM. A compressed format that should be a bit smaller to store (PCM is nice and all but storing 16 bits 44 thousand times (when it says 44 kilohertz it means it) a second does add up quickly, especially when your whole device only has just over 4 megabytes of memory) but still be reasonably fast for basic hardware to play back whilst retaining the perks of simple PCM.

16 bit vs 8 bit.
If you imagine quiet as 0 (despite what we covered earlier with signing as most will have a positive and a negative because physics really) and max volume that can be played from the speaker as say 100 then you have 100 possible volumes.
8 bit is 2 to the power 8 or 256 possible volumes.
16 bit is 2 to the power 16 or 65536 possible volumes.
Most audio does not go between full and silence from one sample to the next so 8 bit tends to even things out a bit more and might sound a bit duller, not as crisp or be harder to distinguish between two instruments on a track if they are similar volume. It is however perfectly suitable for a lot of purposes (saying playing a single tone, like you might do in sequenced music (think giant piano roll) for simply storing voice so you can understand what is being played back, even if it is not going to be a good recreation of a song, all while not burning money on storage and complicated hardware to handle it all.
The would be ROM hacker/audio ripper is usually more interested in knowing what it is to either rip it or replace it with something else than what the basis for it, though some hackers might seek to improve quality (flash carts and emulators don't care if your ROM takes up an extra 10 megabytes) or possibly decrease it (sometimes they do actually care about space and sacrificing some audio quality might gain you the space needed to fit in a translation/audio dub/assets from another game that used another format).

Audio engineering gets massively more complicated from here if you want it to (I did not even mention loudness wars which feeds directly from this and impacts music to this day) but that is the basis for it.

winonamac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PCM = pulse code modulation but that is just trivia. It is a way, indeed the main way most of computing and electrical hardware, stores and plays back audio taken from the real world (think microphone) if it is not compressed into MP3 or something.

The DS supports 3 main formats of PCM.
16 bit
8 bit, this presumably being what the 8 stands for here.
AD-PCM. A compressed format that should be a bit smaller to store (PCM is nice and all but storing 16 bits 44 thousand times (when it says 44 kilohertz it means it) a second does add up quickly, especially when your whole device only has just over 4 megabytes of memory) but still be reasonably fast for basic hardware to play back whilst retaining the perks of simple PCM.

16 bit vs 8 bit.
If you imagine quiet as 0 (despite what we covered earlier with signing as most will have a positive and a negative because physics really) and max volume that can be played from the speaker as say 100 then you have 100 possible volumes.
8 bit is 2 to the power 8 or 256 possible volumes.
16 bit is 2 to the power 16 or 65536 possible volumes.
Most audio does not go between full and silence from one sample to the next so 8 bit tends to even things out a bit more and might sound a bit duller, not as crisp or be harder to distinguish between two instruments on a track if they are similar volume. It is however perfectly suitable for a lot of purposes (saying playing a single tone, like you might do in sequenced music (think giant piano roll) for simply storing voice so you can understand what is being played back, even if it is not going to be a good recreation of a song, all while not burning money on storage and complicated hardware to handle it all.
The would be ROM hacker/audio ripper is usually more interested in knowing what it is to either rip it or replace it with something else than what the basis for it, though some hackers might seek to improve quality (flash carts and emulators don't care if your ROM takes up an extra 10 megabytes) or possibly decrease it (sometimes they do actually care about space and sacrificing some audio quality might gain you the space needed to fit in a translation/audio dub/assets from another game that used another format).

Audio engineering gets massively more complicated from here if you want it to (I did not even mention loudness wars which feeds directly from this and impacts music to this day) but that is the basis for it.
Oh sorry if I made you think I didn't know what PCM was. I do know what it is, I just didn't realize PCM8 was PCM 8-Bit

winonamac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great News! I was able to track down noddy360/dekutonii and was able to find the program he was talking about! The program is called EPFExplorer made by Olivercomet from the Club Penguin Speedrunning Discord. Thanks, noddy360/dekutonii for helping me find this program. I uploaded the program in case the hyperlinks don't work

now to find a way to listen to the .xm files...
^
4/22/2021- Edit: Ignore this. the newer versions of EPFExplorer export the xm files correctly now

Edit: Updated the link to EPFExplorer5

Attachments

• EPFExplorer4.zip
    212.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by winonamac,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma. +1