Cloud gaming: are you interested?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Costello, Oct 9, 2018.

?
  1. I think it's great and it's probably the future of gaming

64 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I like the idea, but I doubt it will ever become mainstream

127 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. I don't like the idea, but I guess it can be useful for a few people

274 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. I completely reject the idea and I'm sure it won't last

158 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    With the recent announcements of Google, Microsoft, and with Sony's PSNow service, cloud gaming is a bit of a hot topic lately, to say the least.

What is your opinion on the concept of cloud gaming? Vote now.

2. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Not really one of them. I just voted the 3th one.
    I don't like it, and I won't use it, but I know it's the future of gaming. I know it'll be usefull for people that can't afford a new console or a gaming PC (everyone that want any of this already have internet conection, and this will get better with time. Saying "in some countries internet is too slow" is not the point. 3 years ago I had 10Mb, now I have 300. This things only need time, but they do need it), but it's not my case. If I wanna play, I'll use my console or my PC to use it, and not a streaming service.

3. Sephrien

Sephrien Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Poland
    They talk about bilions of people being able to use these services. I wonder how many of them will have suitable network bandwidth. 10 % sounds optimistic

Orangy57 and Costello like this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I definitely like the idea, and I've used it a bit myself, but there are still huge issues with latency. For many games, that doesn't really affect gameplay, but it still keeps them from being as enjoyable as they would otherwise be.
    You need a really low ping for cloud gaming to be indistinguishable from running a game locally, and that's difficult to accomplish, or even impossible/not viable with current technology.
    Even if they solve that, there's still something to be said for having a game stored locally and being able to play it online or offline, on a laptop when you're on the go, or doing LAN gaming.
    I don't think cloud gaming is a viable alternative given its current limitations, but I think it could become viable in the future. I don't think it'll ever replace running a game locally though.

Plus, people don't just buy/build gaming PCs because they have to to run the games they want to play, there's a whole culture around PC building for the sake of PC building and everyone likes to brag about their flashy gaming PC with nice specs. That's a sort of appeal that cloud gaming just lacks.

But, can it become mainstream? Potentially, it could live alongside regular gaming happily, but as said I doubt it'll replace it. But, for the same reason buying phones on a contract is so popular, cloud gaming could easily become mainstream when it works well enough. But, "future of gaming" is a bit much I think.

So, in short, you should add an option for "I think it might become mainstream but wouldn't say it's the future of gaming" as none of the options really seem to fit my opinion.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 9, 2018
    B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N and Costello like this.
  5. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    1) As long as it stays an option, I don't care.
    2) I would hate it, if it replaces digital and physical games.
    3) I like the idea of streaming games that I already and actually own.

6. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    It's gone from downloading games and then losing the ability to redownload if and when a server being turned off to being losing the ability to even play a game when the server gets turned off.

Don't even get me started on the lack of infrastructure to do this reliably.

I'll stick to physical games until I can't anymore

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I doubt anybody actually asks this but although you've proposed the question what are your views on the subject?

7. GomenaSAIKE

GomenaSAIKE Newbie

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United States
    We keep getting more and more closer to anti-consumer practices... I can hear you say "How? How did you get that from cloud gaming?"
    Easy gaming is slowly but surely getting further from playing under your own terms and more to big companies. Cloud gaming = always online, always online = no offline gaming + potentially locking out due to service having a "$ubscription fee".
    If you are still saying no way, remember that we used to have things better some examples are region free consoles/media, free online play, no nickle and dime dlc/microtransactions. Now? Now those are main stays and NO ONE bats an eye, again BETTER but not perfect.

8. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I make up my mind after getting facts and reading opinions, for now my opinion is on par with the majority of people on this community :)

9. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    PvP or anything that involves other players? I'm afraid we run into a big big issue
    L A T E N C Y

I'm with you there. I dont use Spotify or straming music sites as my main source of music for one solid reason. When its gone, its gone. If that service, whatever it might be, doesn't have the album or song on file, that's it. I would rather rely on my own physical media or storage devices to keep ahold of my own personal collection. There are many many other points i could come up with here, but you hit on a few of the really big ones.

10. PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun The Uninspired Artist

GBAtemp Patron
    PanTheFaun is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    I prefer to just play regularly on a console but there have been times where I have streamed games from my Nvidia Shield TV and it was really nice. I voted for the 3rd option.

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Marina is best waifu

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I hate the idea and I refuse to use it. It's too easy for things to go wrong, too easy to lose everything if the service goes down, and there's simply no guarantee for the long term future.

Mylink5 and Costello like this.
  12. PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun The Uninspired Artist

GBAtemp Patron
    PanTheFaun is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    I see it only as an alternative to people who may not be able to purchase pricey gaming consoles. I much prefer the actual console and hope I never see the day that streaming is the main way to game.

13. sks316

sks316 Bowsette is cute.

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    I think it's an interesting venture, but I honestly don't see this ever becoming a mainstream thing. Downloading games and playing them later is so much faster, at least for me and others that have a terrible internet connection.

14. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    As a PC gamer, I'm entirely against it. Having a game streamed defeats the whole point of having a PC, the game won't be customizable, moddable, tweakable, moddable...

we wouldn't be able to fix completely broken-ass games on launch either....

however for those that don't have a gaming PC yet have good internet speeds, yeah I guess... but at that point you're paying so much for a good speed you're probably not far off from building a good PC

but personally, I'll be avoiding it unless it's in-home streaming from my own device to my own device

Mylink5 and Costello like this.
  15. shaunj66

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    As an anal retentive who obsesses over things such as input lag and picture clarity etc. it's a no-go for me - at least for most games.

Even local gamestreaming over a personal network such as Geforce Gamestream etc. introduces too much delay for me. I suppose that for slower paced games streaming may work, but the majority of games I've tried just don't.

I will always prefer a pure native experience when playing games whenever possible and the knowledge that I can play the game where and whenever I want without having to rely on an internet connection and DRM telling me what I can and can't do.

However I do see streaming becoming more common place and for some it may be fine. The appeal is there - a low cost piece of hardware capable of streaming and a subscription may win over some, compared to having to fork out £500 for a new console and £50 for each game.

I think there's a place for it as an option for those that can live with it, but it's not for me.

Costello likes this.
  16. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Sounds a lot like Nvidia ‘s “geo now force” (or whatever it’s called). I’m sure new cloud gaming will be just as forgotten. Not everyone has internet or want to game online because of latency. For example, any FPS game, how would the experience really be if some users have fiber and some have dsl. Now the game will “optimize” your network. I know I wouldn’t want to be held back due to my teammates (or opposing teams) internet connection.

17. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    Not interested.
    Current netcode for online games struggles to come close to lag free - cloudplay will likely never get close to what we have with current hardware-to-hardware netcode.
    If cloud gaming becomes the norm, you can kiss goodbye to competitive gaming.

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    My choice isn't there, but since it's an ambiguous one I would've settled for an "other, namely...". Instead I voted for "I don't like the idea, but I guess it can be useful for a few people".

To be honest: I do like the idea. Rather than the "you don't buy the games! You rent them!!!!" that gets thrown around as criticism, I choose to embrace that as a feature. Meaning: I don't see anything wrong with renting games. And I'm old enough to remember the initial reaction to steam in it's first few years. "Online games only? That will NEVER work!!!". I foresee this going the same way: as the technology advances, renting and streaming games will become the new normal, slowly but steadily suppressing the old way (how many video game stores are left nowadays? Their amount keeps shrinking while the gaming economy booms like never before).

...it's just that I don't like it for myself (yet). My gaming habit slowly shifts towards mobile, and aside the technological barriers and not-yet-really-affordable rates for always-online internet in these parts, I simply don't like my mobile devices being online all the time. I never bought the full game of Super Mario Run...not because it was "too much" (hint: it was one fifth of a NSMB version, cheapskates!), but because it required you to be online. And I just don't want to put my personal contacts more into potential jeopardy than they already are (for the record: I don't use facebook or whatsapp on mobile either).

Memoir likes this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Factually, there's something huge that is missing to make this a viable option for everyone. That would be a consistent and fast enough connection around the globe to allow at least constant 720p/60fps, without jitter/stutter or buffering, and allow a low ping to other players in multiplayer games. It's a great concept, but I don't like paying for a service where I'm pretty much the test subject.

OnLive tanked for a variety of reasons and was subsequently bought out by Sony which pumped out PSNow. A service that was and still is for a rather niche audience. Nvidia offers a free and I believe a paid service for cloud gaming. One to connect to your home PC and one to connect to a dedicated "cloud PC" respectively. Again, great concept, but the technology isn't there yet to consider this practical for everyday gaming.. I can't get behind them making a big push for this right now for this very reason.

Last edited by Memoir, Oct 9, 2018
  20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Lag wise unless it is going to be installed in the local exchange or possibly cabinet level for the bigger cabinets I see latency being an issue for games requiring reaction speed. In my case my normal home internet is ADSL and shared between a few people so no go there. I would probably be the exception though so I can ignore that.

Graphics wise and processing wise I am expecting a bit of a plateau for the time being and for prices for local processing to more or less match that of a streaming box/card and similarly prices for graphics making to exceed returns (I don't know if we have quite reached gaming saturation but growth rates are going to be rather low for the foreseeable future so I am not sure we are going to reach the point where we can sustain 4 cloud artists for a game).

That pretty much leaves them using a local high performance computer to instead some really swish AI. Show me something and we can talk there. Maybe we would be able to get thousands of players multiplayer going on which could be interesting but again show me first.

Practically speaking I have seen companies take the piss far too many times this last few decades. Such a service would probably mean no second hand, no modding, a monthly bill (something I avoid wherever possible) and all the other things people have mentioned thus far and we have seen with similar services.