Project Stream by Google announced, allows video game streaming

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 1, 2018.

Front-page
    project stream.PNG

Earlier this year there were rumors about a certain project codenamed Yeti by Google that aimed to be a video game streaming service. It seems like there were actually some truth behind those rumors as today Google announced Project Stream.

While still a test, the service does not seem to be restricted to video game streaming as the project is advertised as "a test of Google’s streaming technologies in the US". However to kickstart things, Google has opted for streaming a video game and has partnered with Ubisoft to test the streaming capabilities of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

"We’re inspired by the game creators who spend years crafting these amazing worlds, adventures and experiences, and we’re building technology that we hope will support and empower that creativity," says Product Manager Catherine Hsiao.

A video boasting a 1080p, 60 fps stream of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey from Project Stream has even been released to show off what the platform is capable of.

Should you be interested, Google is currently looking for people to test its new platform and further makes note that "Project Stream is geared toward home internet connections capable of 25 megabits per second, and you must be 17 years or older and live in the U.S. to participate".

What do you think of Google's venture into the gaming world? Do you think that the future of gaming lies in streaming? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

Discussion (66 replies)
  1. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    No, I like to have my games on my hard drives so publishers can't dictate to me when or where I can play my games. Games should be goods, not services.

KingVamp, Titanica, DarthDub and 42 others like this.
  2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    1080P is not that great seeing i mostly game in 4k on pc but atleast they do a better job at it than PSNOW wich only streams in 720p max and sometimes doesn't even hit

DuoForce likes this.
  3. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Nice for those living in developed areas of developed countries.

If the industry ends up pushing hard for this, and they might, the end result will be games walled off behind servers with no real preservability (other than Google's "trust us we are indexing the world" approach) that will privilege a small fraction of gamers. Worse, the enormous demand for bandwidth will stoke the telecom industry much further and we'll be driven into Net Neutrality 2.0... sigh.

All of this when piracy is at an all-time low because some companies like Steam and GOG have fairer pricing structures and sales, allowing more people to game legally.

yoyoyo69 likes this.
  4. d4mation

d4mation GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    United States
    This will be cool for a year or two, before Google cancels the project. Or builds a competing service and pushes that one instead and leaves this to rot before cancelling it much later.

5. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    newest info says only couple procents of steam users actually play in 4k. It's really taxing on hardware, but I like play older titles with superb resolution

Maximilious likes this.
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Meh. Quite frankly I think this will go the way all other PC game streaming services have: Absolutely nowhere. Especially so considering the US's internet infrastructure is still fucking retarded.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's a hard pass for me, not only because I don't support the game streaming model in general, but also because it's a Google product. No thanks, Google - you already have my search history, the contents of my mailbox and my download history, you don't need to know my gaming habits as well. Google is hard to avoid with Android being the only reasonable alternative to iOS and YouTube being the de facto video streaming site for most content - I can't help the latter and I do my best to diminish the latter with a wall of adblocking software. If I can bypass the Google machine, I try to.

DarthDub, Empu1, DuoForce and 5 others like this.
  8. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    yeah a small minority do but i always play with the latest TI card and instead of upgrading this time to a 2080Ti i bought myself another Ti. I know most people don't upgrade that often but yeah i can be a graphics fps whore

9. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Lmao I am very happy if my internet is faster than 2 mbps. The Internet in Germany is awful and super expensive. Dont see a use for this at all.

bixxewoscht likes this.
  10. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Really ? You would think a neighbouring country would have the same internet speed. Belgium Telenet, Orange, Proximus fiberwirem dommel and some others all have a minimum of 100mbps

11. Perfect One

Perfect One GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2017
    Brazil
    No and no.

Simple as that.

shaunj66 likes this.
  12. Justinde75

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    I pay around 25 euro for a 3-4 mbps connection. I dont know if its better around the bigger areas, but its horribe and expensive here. Also I have to pay 15 euro monthly to not get a 250 gig limit, which is extremly low. We are 5 people in out house and we all use internet services. There was a time where we only had 200 kbps connections for months. It was absolutely dreadful.

Its not like I have interest in those streaming things anyways. The maket is way too oversatured right now.

Last edited by Justinde75, Oct 1, 2018
  13. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Well i pay 94 euro and get digital tv, 10Gigs 4g and can call free of charge over the whole of europe with my smartphone and text freely plus get unlimited internet around 100mbps. Also they're expanding it now to 5g

Last edited by kumikochan, Oct 1, 2018
  14. JellyPerson

JellyPerson https://discord.gg/BMVma8j

Banned
    Jul 26, 2017
    Korea, North
    Pyongyang
    Wow, that's harsh. I live in America and can get 50mbps for $25 USD

15. Justinde75

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    The problem is just that Germany has alot of old internet lines. Most of them are easily 10 years old. So something like this is absolutely useless to me and would be more useful as a doorstopper. Who would like to stream games so they have worse quality, input lag and they dont even own the games?

Last edited by Justinde75, Oct 1, 2018
    justmiiplaynwii likes this.
  16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But then why does youtube gaming exist if (Google the owner of youtube) they will just do this? How is this much different? :wtf:

Unless we can stream those games twitch ban like Yandere simulator or what not, it may seem hard to convince anyone of using it if they already have something established. (Maybe is for newcomers) :ninja:

17. grey72

grey72 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2018
    Antarctica
    About Here-ish
    This is cool and all, but project stream? There's generic and then there's something like project frickin stream

18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It's not a live streaming service, it's a game streaming service. Google streams a game to your PC over the internet for you to play. Like PS Now or GeForce Now

19. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Like it or not, this is where the industry is going.
    Let's see what happends, and if Google can get the best of it. I wish some luck for them.