Hacking Class 2 Memory cards are too slow?

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone notices any difference in game play/video playback when using a Class 2 SDHC memory card compared to a Class 4+ SDHC Memory card. Like lag for example.
Thanks.

Also, does anyone notice any difference in playback between using a 8GB sdhc and a 16GB sdhc with the same class?

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1Player said:
nope, I'm using a 16gb class 2, and a 8gb class 6
and there's no difference when they're in the dstwo
Is that for games AND videos?

And thanks for the feedback. Some more would be appreciated xD

I just ordered the DSTwo and I was seeing if the price range between Class 2 and 4 is worth it.

1Player

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ceapy said:
1Player said:
nope, I'm using a 16gb class 2, and a 8gb class 6
and there's no difference when they're in the dstwo
Is that for games AND videos?

And thanks for the feedback. Some more would be appreciated xD

I just ordered the DSTwo and I was seeing if the price range between Class 2 and 4 is worth it.

I have 2 dstwo
one is for me, I'm using the 8gb class 6 for RPG games only
my kid is using the other DSTWO with the 16gb class 2, and it's full of NDS games, DPG movies, sega genesis emulator/games, GBA games, etc.
they both run fine, the class 6 will always be better, but the DSTWO does a pretty good job of running slow memory cards..so I didn't see much of a difference

the 16gb class 2 sandisk, I bought it from amazon for about $29
and the 8gb class 6 sandisk, I also bought it from amazon for about $20

I'll probably buy another 16gb class 2 for my RPG games

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I have 2 SDHCs, one is a class 4 4gb and the other is a class 2 8gb. I usually use the 8gb on my Acekard 2i, and haven't had any kind of lag in game or video. I use the 4gb on my TTDS, but decided to use my 8gb on the TTDS and really, it took like 2 or 3 minutes to load a game, but after the game starts there's no lag.

In my DSTWO none of them have lag, only the Rune Factory 2 game has lag when so many sprites are in the same map, but that's normal.

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, Thanks! I Just ordered an 8GB and 16GB Class 2 memory card xD If what everyone says is true, I won't have any problems with lag.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find anything other than a class 2, as I don't have any means of shopping online, but I have yet to have a problem in the months that I've been using it.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the class of the card that matters in this case. It's the card's random access speed (or rate) that matters. Classes are for their max transfer speed. NOT their random access speed.

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OrGoN3 said:
It's not the class of the card that matters in this case. It's the card's random access speed (or rate) that matters. Classes are for their max transfer speed. NOT their random access speed.
Then are you saying that all memory cards have the same random access speed?
And I thought the class represented the Minimum transfer speed.

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
It is Minimum, assuming your machine can handle it.

Also I would think the DSTwo's in built Processor would help with the Speed issues of Class 2's.
Personally I'da got a Class 6 as I hate waiting for files to transfer
tongue.gif

Oh and Class 6 is soooo much faster than Class 4 when saving games
wink.gif

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EJames2100 said:
It is Minimum, assuming your machine can handle it.

Also I would think the DSTwo's in built Processor would help with the Speed issues of Class 2's.
Personally I'da got a Class 6 as I hate waiting for files to transfer
tongue.gif

Oh and Class 6 is soooo much faster than Class 4 when saving games
wink.gif
=P Alright thanks. The built in processor should help. And the save time on Class 4 is like 1-5 seconds depending on the game. (RTS is usually 5 seconds)

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ceapy said:
OrGoN3 said:

Different brand memory cards have ALL different speeds. The "class" represents a guaranteed sustained write speed to the SD; Class 2 means a sustained write speed of 2MB per second, Class 4 is 4MB...and so on.

Read speed is not rated, but is ALWAYS faster than the write speed. For instance, my Sandisk Class 2 16gig writes at 3.8megs (just missing a class 4 rating), but reads at 18megs per second.

Random Access Speed is the SD's response time to any request made to it. The closer you can get to an "instant" response, the better. The problem is, it's usually not an advertised specification. So it's tough to determine what you will get when choosing an SD card to buy. This where where the brand-name SD cards usually shine. For instance, a Sandisk SD card will almost always have quick response time, regardless of its Class rating. There are other SD brands that are good...Toshiba is one, but I generally just stick to Sandisk these days, so I don't really know what-all SD brands are considered good anymore. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Random Access Speed seems to only be important to "some" DS flashcarts. Otherwise, for other devices such as cell phones, mp3 players, cameras, etc. it's not a vital specification for the device to work. That's probably why most companies never bother to mention the response time specification.

Most newer flashcarts have workarounds in place to fix problems between slow SD cards and demanding games. It's generally not a problem anymore....unless you have a REALLY crappy (and/or failing/defective) SD card.....or a really old flashcart that isn't "officially" supported anymore.

ceapy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rayder said:
ceapy said:
OrGoN3 said:

Different brand memory cards have ALL different speeds. The "class" represents a guaranteed sustained write speed to the SD; Class 2 means a sustained write speed of 2MB per second, Class 4 is 4MB...and so on.

Read speed is not rated, but is ALWAYS faster than the write speed. For instance, my Sandisk Class 2 16gig writes at 3.8megs (just missing a class 4 rating), but reads at 18megs per second.

Random Access Speed is the SD's response time to any request made to it. The closer you can get to an "instant" response, the better. The problem is, it's usually not an advertised specification. So it's tough to determine what you will get when choosing an SD card to buy. This where where the brand-name SD cards usually shine. For instance, a Sandisk SD card will almost always have quick response time, regardless of its Class rating. There are other SD brands that are good...Toshiba is one, but I generally just stick to Sandisk these days, so I don't really know what-all SD brands are considered good anymore. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Random Access Speed seems to only be important to "some" DS flashcarts. Otherwise, for other devices such as cell phones, mp3 players, cameras, etc. it's not a vital specification for the device to work. That's probably why most companies never bother to mention the response time specification.

Most newer flashcarts have workarounds in place to fix problems between slow SD cards and demanding games. It's generally not a problem anymore....unless you have a REALLY crappy (and/or failing/defective) SD card.....or a really old flashcart that isn't "officially" supported anymore.
Alright thanks! Just one more question. Would Kingston and Sandisk be on par with eachother in terms of Random Access Speed?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare