Question Citra switch port?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by MonMonz, Oct 9, 2018.

1. MonMonz
    OP

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    Just saw a port of citra for android..and its kinda stable
    Is there anyway we will get this on switch?
    Whats your thoughts about this?

2. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    Xandrid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    My thought is nope or at least not for a looooooooooong while

3. MonMonz
    OP

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    But why tho..its already kinda stable on ARM devices such as android phones and tablets!!

4. Silent_Gunner
    This message by Silent_Gunner has been removed from public view by Chary, Oct 9, 2018, Reason: Not an imageboard.
    Oct 9, 2018
  5. MonMonz
    OP

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    Did you follow the latest progress..it boots pokemon on android phone already!! So why not on switch?

Last edited by MonMonz, Oct 9, 2018
  6. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Except that the Switch Is A64, not ARM(32).

7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It's not that farfetch'd of an idea to be honest.
    I mean, it already has an Android build, which means it compiles for ARM devices, and from the looks of it I want to say it's ARM64 as well, so perhaps a port to the Switch is just some libraries away for it to compile on it.

That's not to say, however, that it will run anything near a playable state, I am betting 5fps tops.
    But still, it would be a neat thing to just screw with and see what can be done with it.

Although, I would suggest to wait it out a bit, I heard the Android build uses an old version of Citra, better wait until it gets up-to-date in its source code to attempt porting it to the Switch.

MonMonz likes this.
  8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    ^This guy explains why it wouldn't be practical, as if everything else that's on the console wasn't going to be a pain to emulate (gyroscopes, that camera, the 3D, and any other piece of hardware on the damn thing!)

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Capture1.PNG

Last edited by Silent_Gunner, Oct 9, 2018
  9. MonMonz
    OP

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    there is 64 build "CitraAndroid-arm64-v8a.apk"

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

then how do you explain that dragon quest 7 is working around 30fps on android already?!!

Last edited by MonMonz, Oct 9, 2018
  10. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    They still have to adapt it to everything on the Switch, and like @ShadowOne333 said, it wouldn't be very practical to run. Personally, if you already have a New 3DS, I don't see the point of the emulator to begin with. The DS line of hardware, with its touchscreen and very specific stylus, it's one of those systems where it's better to honestly use the original hardware. Believe me, doing those magic seal things in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is much easier on an actual DS system than on Windows!

11. MonMonz
    OP

MonMonz GBAtemp Fan

Nov 7, 2014
    Egypt
    am not saying emulating is better then the actual system.what am saying is having to carry a one device that contain all of your games feels like haven ! :D

DSwizzy, Pandaxclone2 and Csmrcc like this.
  12. chaos_jockey

chaos_jockey Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2016
    United States
    To revive a dead thread, is citra conceivable with L4T?

Last edited by chaos_jockey, Jun 26, 2019
  13. sluggo

sluggo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2019
    Ireland
    just tried today and it has a weird arch so it wont boot

14. Csmrcc

Csmrcc GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2018
    Spain
    and maybe now with android on switch, would citra work by any chance?
    :D

15. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't be playable speed if it did run.

16. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Nintendo should be porting 3ds games to Switch like crazy if they were smart. It's taken over as their primary handheld. It would be easy money porting games like Link Between Worlds, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon etc..

17. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Citra as of now on android actually does boot up quite a few games at "acceptable" but not desirable speeds. I do think it's safe to say within a year or so Citra will run fairly well on android. So just like drastic using "switchroot" 3ds will be at a playable state sometime in the future.(And hopefully switchroot itself at that time is in a much better state as well)

But as for a native citra or any other 3ds emulator. I highly doubt there will ever be one that runs at playable speeds. But i would love to be proven wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationO..._sun_running_on_unofficial_citra_for_android/

Last edited by phillyrider807, Oct 3, 2019
    Csmrcc likes this.
  18. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    I tried the switchroot version of citra and it runs like absolute garbage. Even the latest snapdragon wont run 50% of the library at full speed. In its current state no way the switch will have any playable games.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted