Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
NeoGamma R9 beta49 is out:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test
Mostly only the cIOS identification and base IOS58 support.
Ok, I can confirm that base 58 is now supported properly.
However IOS reload block doesn't work with that base, but maybe it's a cios issue.
unsure.gif

BTW, I've noticed you enabled by default the ios reload block.
smile.gif

QUOTE(WiiPower @ May 28 2011, 12:59 PM) @Davebaol:
About your HDD problem with the ios reload block. Is your fix executed everytime the cIOS is started, or only if ios reload blocking is enabled? When i start games with base IOS58, the HDD seems to be slower than usual, causing stutter in videos.
Yes, that code is executed each time the cIOS is started but the emulation device (usb/sd) is initialized only when a config file has been found, so only after the ios has been reloaded by a game running on usb/sd.

And base 58 provides better usb compatibility but it's much slower than the usual ehci module. That's why you get choppy videos.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
And you checked if all modules are patched correctly with base IOS58. The problem was that it returned that my HDD had a capacity of 1 sector and i accepted anything >= 0. Oh and it returned that the sector size is 0. Now that's an error to me, and it tries again. Ususually it works after 7 tries, which is when NeoGamma panics and does an IOS Reload for each try.

Omega191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So am I getting the source (to the current/latest release) anytime soon davebaol? You haven't replied, but you have made many other posts in this thread after mine.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
WiiPower said:

@XFlak:
I hope the cIOS identification works as it should, i did only 1 short test.
I just released ModMii v4.5.6 and it will sign all the d2x cIOSs. So using ModMii v4.5.6+ to install d2x cIOSs and NeoGamma R9 beta49+ should allow people to test if cIOS identification is working as expected

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
XFlak said:
WiiPower said:

@XFlak:
I hope the cIOS identification works as it should, i did only 1 short test.
I just released ModMii v4.5.6 and it will sign all the d2x cIOSs. So using ModMii v4.5.6+ to install d2x cIOSs and NeoGamma R9 beta49+ should allow people to test if cIOS identification is working as expected

"cIOS249[56]-v21d2x5-alpha5-alpha5-alpha1.wad"

+ a bunch of error messages. But other than that, it works as expected "d2x56v5alpha1 (249)" is what NeoGamma says it is.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Those weird name (cIOS249[56]-v21d2x5-alpha5-alpha5-alpha1.wad) is cuz the d2x-beta.bat you're using is outdated, the batch file has been modified to work with v4.5.6, I've sent davebaol a new template for ModMii v4.5.6 and above.

And the error's you're getting are because the wad's md5 hashes have changed since now the cIOSs are signed

I'm putting together a d2x v5 alpha 1 package for ModMii v4.5.6+ and will upload it here shortly

edit:
here's the new download bundle
d2x v5 alpha1 for ModMii v4.5.6+

pplucky

Trophies
XP
Country
Omega191 said:
So am I getting the source (to the current/latest release) anytime soon davebaol? You haven't replied, but you have made many other posts in this thread after mine.
Most of your posts are only trying to instigate anger in people...so what would you expect? Better not to answer...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@Davebaol:
Any chance that an IOS Reload could break the media type detection? Do the offsets of the read function relate to the absolute dvd offset or to the offset in the partition? Could the media type be stored on nand as well? To make sure it's the same it was, as directly after loading the cIOS and reading the disc id early in the loading process?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Attention all WiiFlow Users!
Do you want to use the latest and greatest d2x v4 cIOS but don't want to lose the ability to download cover art (until WiiFlow is updated)?
Then look no further!

Using ModMii and the following "d2x-beta" folder you can construct the d2x v4 cIOSs using the d2x v3 EHCI module (allowing WiiFlow to download cover art). Just save the "d2x-beta" folder to wherever ModMii.exe is saved inside the "modules" folder, then use ModMii to download the cIOS from Download Page 4.

Note that with since base 58 cIOSs don't use the EHCI module, this set up will construct the standard d2x v4 files for base 58 cIOSs

Here's the download link:
d2x-beta(v4-v3EHCI) for ModMii v4.5.6+.zip

Note: the only difference between the bundle in this post and the one found here is that this bundle will not give invalid errors when used in ModMii v4.5.6+ because it expects ModMii to sign the cIOSs (so loaders can detect what cIOS is installed). Also note that the opposite is true, if you use this bundle with ModMii v4.5.5 or less it will give u errors. But either way the errors can likely be disregarded.

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
so basically this is the most updated cios ever? also are custom ios's never going to update again. sine the wii 2 will come out soon and it looks like Nintendo gave up on giving us system menu 4.4.
and game compatibilty is basically perfect besides some games like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

would this be considered better than the official ciosrev21.
should i install even if i dont have the controller lag?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
XFlak said:
Attention all WiiFlow Users!
Do you want to use the latest and greatest d2x v4 cIOS but don't want to lose the ability to download cover art (until WiiFlow is updated)?
Then look no further!

Using ModMii and the following "d2x-beta" folder you can construct the d2x v4 cIOSs using the d2x v3 EHCI module (allowing WiiFlow to download cover art). Just save the "d2x-beta" folder to wherever ModMii.exe is saved inside the "modules" folder, then use ModMii to download the cIOS from Download Page 4.

Note that with since base 58 cIOSs don't use the EHCI module, this set up will construct the standard d2x v4 files for base 58 cIOSs

Here's the download link:
d2x-beta(v4-v3EHCI) for ModMii v4.5.6+.zip

Note: the only difference between the bundle in this post and the one found here is that this bundle will not give invalid errors when used in ModMii v4.5.6+ because it expects ModMii to sign the cIOSs (so loaders can detect what cIOS is installed). Also note that the opposite is true, if you use this bundle with ModMii v4.5.5 or less it will give u errors. But either way the errors can likely be disregarded.
To avoid confusion like this...
QUOTE(icebrg5 @ May 29 2011, 05:55 AM) It is showing as version 4.5.5

Also when adding the d2x-beta(v4-v3EHCI) for ModMii v4.5.6+.zip folder to the proper folder i still get errors when trying to download the v4 versions with v3 ehci modules.

I quickly threw together a 3rd bundle, this one will operate properly (ie. no false errors) on versions of ModMii v4.5.6+ AND ModMii v4.5.5 and below

d2x beta(v4 v3EHCI) v4.5.6 compatible.zip

norbyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
norbyte said:
Everything seems to work, but I have an issue with "We Sing Robbie Williams". I installed d2x v4 base 56 in slot 249. There are no other cios installed. The game works and recognizes the logitec mics as well as the original usb hub. The hub is connected to USB1. Plugging and unplugging a mic works in game. But unplugging the hub OR a mic from USB1 does not work. I re-plugged in the mic in game but the game does not recognize them. Restarting the game will solve it.

I don't know if this is a support thread, but no answer for a serious post is not what I hoped for. As a quote to myself I tested a bit more:
1. Started "Karaoke Revolution" as another karaoke game. Same problem here. If the mic is plugged in BEFORE starting the game everything works. Then I unplugged the mic, the game shows a message to plug-in a mic. Did that, but the game does not recognize the mic. So an issue of the game is excluded.
2. I then installed another cIOS with base 38 into slot 222. I used this cIOS before. Then I started "We Sing Robbie Williams" again, unplugged the mic and re-plugged in it. The game recognized it! Sothis must be a cIOS problem of d2x.
3. To be sure, I installed d2x with base 38 into slot 250 and started the game again. The same procedure as described above. And nope, again the mic is not recognized after re-plugging the mic.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
kirbymaster101 said:
so basically this is the most updated cios ever? also are custom ios's never going to update again. sine the wii 2 will come out soon and it looks like Nintendo gave up on giving us system menu 4.4.
and game compatibilty is basically perfect besides some games like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

would this be considered better than the official ciosrev21.
should i install even if i dont have the controller lag?

Metroid Prime Triology works fine now from wbfs, i think you missed the most recent development. Davebaol, Oggzee and i are currently trying to fix all cIOS bugs we know of and which we are able to fix. IOS Reload block for FAT and NTFS is one of the next things on the TODO list.

If somebody knows any advantage the official cIOS rev21 has over the latest d2x, i would like to know it. Some goes for Hermes cIOS. As long as it's not multi wbfs partition support, or support for the other usb port.

norbyte said:
QUOTE(norbyte @ May 28 2011, 11:53 AM) Everything seems to work, but I have an issue with "We Sing Robbie Williams". I installed d2x v4 base 56 in slot 249. There are no other cios installed. The game works and recognizes the logitec mics as well as the original usb hub. The hub is connected to USB1. Plugging and unplugging a mic works in game. But unplugging the hub OR a mic from USB1 does not work. I re-plugged in the mic in game but the game does not recognize them. Restarting the game will solve it.

I don't know if this is a support thread, but no answer for a serious post is not what I hoped for. As a quote to myself I tested a bit more:
1. Started "Karaoke Revolution" as another karaoke game. Same problem here. If the mic is plugged in BEFORE starting the game everything works. Then I unplugged the mic, the game shows a message to plug-in a mic. Did that, but the game does not recognize the mic. So an issue of the game is excluded.
2. I then installed another cIOS with base 38 into slot 222. I used this cIOS before. Then I started "We Sing Robbie Williams" again, unplugged the mic and re-plugged in it. The game recognized it! Sothis must be a cIOS problem of d2x.
3. To be sure, I installed d2x with base 38 into slot 250 and started the game again. The same procedure as described above. And nope, again the mic is not recognized after re-plugging the mic.

Ok, looks like a valid issue to me then.

@Davebaol:
How about a known issues list in the 1st post? With a comment which priority it has and what the fixing status is?

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Omega191
I replied already:
davebaol said:
According to me this workaround is good enough for the upcoming v5beta1 (source included
rolleyes.gif
).
Bug closed!!!
biggrin.gif

norbyte said:
norbyte said:
Everything seems to work, but I have an issue with "We Sing Robbie Williams". I installed d2x v4 base 56 in slot 249. There are no other cios installed. The game works and recognizes the logitec mics as well as the original usb hub. The hub is connected to USB1. Plugging and unplugging a mic works in game. But unplugging the hub OR a mic from USB1 does not work. I re-plugged in the mic in game but the game does not recognize them. Restarting the game will solve it.

Sorry for being late, I'm really busy these days.
Unlike Hermes cios, Waninkoko's cios and d2x cios don't support hot usb unplug-replug.
This is a missing feature and I'd call it an enhancement rather then a bug.

QUOTE(WiiPower @ May 29 2011, 10:18 AM) @Davebaol:
How about a known issues list in the 1st post? With a comment which priority it has and what the fixing status is?
I already have one but I can't get the time to translate it in english.
Problemi noti

Segue un elenco dei problemi noti e non ancora risolti dal cios d2x v3.
Questa lista serve principalmente come promemoria per eventuali fix nelle future release del d2x.
Se avete altre segnalazioni di malfunzionamenti, possibilmente riproducibili, comunicatemeli e verrando aggiunti in lista.
  • Con la base 58 l'emulazione della nand funziona su scheda SD, ma non su usb.
    In particolare la os_open del device /dev/usb/ven, fatta in fase di inizializzazione dal modulo usb usato con la base 58, fallisce ritornando -101.
    Tuttavia la stessa chiamata da usbloader funziona senza problemi, ma a differenza di Migthy Channels gli usbloader effettuano delle operazioni preliminari di inizializzazione sui dispositivi usb che probabilmente consentono l'apertura del dispositivo /dev/usb/ven.
  • U-Sing 2, che come CODBO funziona solo su base 57, scatta in continuazione durante le canzoni, tuttavia col cios di Hermes 224[57] funziona bene.
    Il problema si presenta sistematicamente ed è facile da riprodurre.
    Da quanto ho potuto osservare il lag appare in tutti questi casi:
    • con le rev19, rev20, rev21 e tutti i d2x (non è possibile testare rev inferiori poichè il gioco funziona solo su base 57)
    • solo via usb (da dvd e sd il problema non si presenta)
    • con qualunque hard disk o chiavetta usb
    • anche se il watchdog è disattivo
    La mia impressione è che il lag appaia solo in U-Sing 2 perchè questo gioco legge continuamente dati durante i brani, infatti il led dell'HDD continua a lampeggiare.
    Non ne sono sicuro ma sembrerebbe proprio un problema inerente il modulo EHCI.
  • Nel caricamento da DVD la funzione IOS reload block permette di avviare giochi come COD3 e Metroid Prime Trilogy senza dover patchare la iso per usare l'ios 249.
    Tuttavia l'ios reload block non implementa il fix dell'errore 002, quindi i giochi come Metroid Prime Trilogy danno errore 002 se avviati da DVD.
    Per ulteriori informazioni fare riferimento a questi topic:Questo bug è stato fixato nelle ultime beta del cios d2x v4.
  • Gli hard disk superiori a 1TB non funzionano con Mighty Channels perchè non sono direttamente supportati da tutti i cios di Waninkoko e anche dal cios d2x fino alla v3.
    Tuttavia questi hard disk funzionano correttamente con tutti gli usbloader più diffusi, perchè questi effettuano delle operazioni preliminari di inizializzazione.
    Questo bug è stato fixato nelle ultime beta del cios d2x v4.
  • Gli hard disk superiori a 2TB, quindi con una sector size superiore a 512 byte, non sono supportati dal modulo FAT del cios.
    Questa funzionalità è stata implementata nelle ultime beta del cios d2x v4.
  • L'emulazione della nand dà errore quando si accede alla Nintendo Wifi connection.
    Il problema persiste anche se si utilizza la nand reale e riguarda tutti i cios di Waninkoko e i d2x.
  • Il gioco VirtualConsole "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" funziona con nand emulata su rev17 ma su rev21 e d2x si schianta dopo il logo con la N che ruota.
  • I WiiWare "LostWinds" e "LostWinds: The Winter of the Melodies" vanno in crash poco prima di prendere il controllo sul personaggio.
    Il crash si verifica indifferentemente con le rev17, rev21 e i d2x. Anche ULoader presenta lo stesso problema. Solo Sneek è in grado di emulare correttamente la nand per questi tioli.
    Tuttavia talvolta si presentano ancora dei crash random durante il gioco. La mia impressione è che il salvataggio venga corrotto causando il crash. Inoltre il gioco funziona correttamente da Mighty Channels su nand reale.
  • Tutti gli episodi dei WiiWare della serie "Strong Bad" vanno in crash all'avvio su rev 17, rev21 e d2x. Tuttavia sono perfettamente giocabili con ULoader e Sneek.
  • Il WiiWare "Swords and Soldiers" funziona su alcune console, su altre il caricamento iniziale è molto lento (anche 20-30 secondi) e su altre ancora invece non va oltre il logo iniziale. Questo col d2x v3, perchè con le rev 17 e 21 sembra non funzioni mai. Con ULoader e Sneek invece non ci sono problemi.
  • WiiPower riferisce che ES_Identify/ES_DiVerify non possono essere usate con la base IOS56. Questo rende impossibile caricare dvd non criptati quando si usa questa base. Si tratta di un bug minore visto che nessuno più usa dischi non criptati. Si veda: http://gbatemp.net/t277659-ciosx-rev21d2x-...t&p=3669154

dtheo

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi,
UsbLoaderGX does not find the disk after updating ciosx21 (d2x v4 with base 58 or 56, wad got with modmii 4.5.7)
After restoring to d2x v3 (base 58) works again.

I had similar trouble with the d2xv4 for modmii 4.5.5 but then disk was not seen by any application (wiixplorer now see the usb)

I guess that there is some usbloadergx setting that is in conflict with d2xv4.
Thx

oggzee

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
First sorry if I'm trashing the thread again, i haven't read it before so the reply is a bit late.
Omega191 said:
That "three months" rule is something you made up.
That is something that is in the license ...
QUOTE said:
(section 8 - Termination)
However, if you cease all violation of this License, then your license from a particular copyright holder is reinstated (a) provisionally, unless and until the copyright holder explicitly and finally terminates your license, and (b) permanently, if the copyright holder fails to notify you of the violation by some reasonable means prior to 60 days after the cessation.
Moreover, your license from a particular copyright holder is reinstated permanently if the copyright holder notifies you of the violation by some reasonable means, this is the first time you have received notice of violation of this License (for any work) from that copyright holder, and you cure the violation prior to 30 days after your receipt of the notice.
Although you are right, it's not a permission to delay the source code release but it's a period in which you need to comply with the license or face termination to use it. I read that a long time ago so I didn't even remember the exact wording and meaning. Anyway this is something that corporations like Apple and Google abuse all the time. So in the end the effect is the same, you can release the source in a month and you're fine.

Omega191 said:
I do see harm in not releasing alpha sources, people don't get to study and modify it. Do you see any harm in releasing the sources? (watch this question get avoided when someone replies)
not really.

Omega191 said:
QUOTE( @ May 24 2011, 04:15 AM)
Uff... I'll release the source with the next beta1.
This isn't going to cut it this time, I want the source to this alpha and all subsequent releases. I'm tired of this attitude of yours where you base your work on the work of others and don't even try to give anything back, you only do it when you are obligated and even then you take more than a months time.
I think you can't really demand anything. The only people that can demand something are the copyright holders that is the authors of the work and I don't think you are among them. The cios is the work of waninkoko, wiigator, hermes and maybe someone else I missed.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html
If you think you see a violation of the GNU GPL, ..... collect details .... (snip) ....
Once you have collected the details, you should send a precise report to the copyright holder of the packages that are being misused. The copyright holder is the one who is legally authorized to take action to enforce the license.

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wii power said:
Metroid Prime Triology works fine now from wbfs, i think you missed the most recent development. Davebaol, Oggzee and i are currently trying to fix all cIOS bugs we know of and which we are able to fix. IOS Reload block for FAT and NTFS is one of the next things on the TODO list.

If somebody knows any advantage the official cIOS rev21 has over the latest d2x, i would like to know it. Some goes for Hermes cIOS. As long as it's not multi wbfs partition support, or support for the other usb port.
whoa whoa since when did Metroid Prime Trilogy worked? somebody should update that on the usb game compatibilty list.
does it work on usbloader gx 2.0 without alt.dols.
also anyone know how to downlaod the highest beta dol of usblaoder gx.

anyone have an idea when will usblaoder gx 3.0 comes out?

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@kirbymaster:
Please read, Metroid Prime Trilogy and all other IOS-Reloading games with USB only work when you use WBFS (FAT and NTFS are being worked on) and currently only Neogamma and USBLoader CFG can use it. (d2xv5beta1)

ApolloCheese

the shy guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
WiiPower said:
Davebaol, Oggzee and i are currently trying to fix all cIOS bugs we know of and which we are able to fix.
Are you also working on the wiiconnect24 issue? This was fixed in cios rev14 (if i remember right), but not in any cios revision after that. In some games that use wiiconnect24 you get error codes. For example in mario kart, when you try to download the latest data. I also had this issue with conduit 2, where i couldn't see the friend requests from wii friends.
thanks for all the great work!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!