Hacking cIOSX rev21: controller lag [FIXED!]

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
xabby666 said:
Ok, dave. I think this kinds of bugs must be fixed in next official release by waninkoko. Someone can report him this problem?
Try here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/foro/topic93752.html#p805857
wink2.gif

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XICO2KX said:
xabby666 said:
Ok, dave. I think this kinds of bugs must be fixed in next official release by waninkoko. Someone can report him this problem?
Try here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/foro/topic93752.html#p805857
wink2.gif

He may also respond to this information on twitter. But unfortunately, there is a long history of people informing waninkoko of bugs, and then he forgets to fix them and they persist in subsequent revisions of his cIOS.

coreduo0099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x4mer said:
I'll try rev 17 if I can find it, but the problem is that ciosx < rev20 & all Hermes are undesirable since they don't support base 56. The only way to make use of RB3's SDHC support is through using base 56, as the only other IOS that supports mic (37) doesn't support SDHC.
I used the hermes v5 homebrew app to build 223[60] and the SDHC card and mic are working in RB3
this cIOS also seems to be working with Boogie, Disney Sing It, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution series microphone based games.

Guitar Hero/Band Hero series don't work with it but seem to work ok with the 249[56] v21 dx
Grease seems to only work with 250[57] v21 dx

I have not checked for the jitter/pauses though. If it plays clean, this might be the ideal hermes build, and perhaps why hermes put a base 60 option in there in the first place???

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
coreduo0099 said:
x4mer said:
I'll try rev 17 if I can find it, but the problem is that ciosx < rev20 & all Hermes are undesirable since they don't support base 56. The only way to make use of RB3's SDHC support is through using base 56, as the only other IOS that supports mic (37) doesn't support SDHC.
I used the hermes v5 homebrew app to build 223[60] and the SDHC card and mic are working in RB3
this cIOS also seems to be working with Boogie, Disney Sing It, RockBand, Karaoke Revolution series microphone based games.

Guitar Hero/Band Hero series don't work with it but seem to work ok with the 249[56] v21 dx
Grease seems to only work with 250[57] v21 dx

I have not checked for the jitter/pauses though. If it plays clean, this might be the ideal hermes build, and perhaps why hermes put a base 60 option in there in the first place???
Never used 223[60] but I'm absolutely sure Grease works with d2x on base 56 too.

EDIT:
Ok, now I see what you mean.
If you launch Grease with base 56 the game works but you can select the mic because it's disabled: Select Story -> 2 players -> randomize -> accept
If you launch the game with base 57 the mic becomes selectable.
However this in not a cios issue.
Grease, CODBO, DJ Hero 2, and Truth or Lies require base 57 to work properly.
This game list on HackWii reports the ios required by many games and also a Windows tool to analyze the iso so to retrieve that info by yourself.
The ios used by the original game is a good indicator for the base to use when you launch that game through a loader.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@davebaol, do you also know if there is a list of games that require a certain adjustment like the games you mentioned?

I am also looking for a list of games that need alt.dols/wdm to work.

note: see here what i mean with this list if it is not clear.
(I try to keep this page updated)

Maybe somebody else knows a recent list.
I get the impression that every list i find is outdated or to long/difficult to read.

hong0098

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
netspy said:
The issue

netspy said:
I read (and wrote) on several topics that the controllers are lagging when using IOS56 as a base for cIOSX rev20 :
- Configurable USB Loader
- Monster Hunter Tri and instrument games
- Wii #2275 - Rock Band 3 (Europe)

It's too bad because I believe that the IOS56-based cIOSX rev20 is the best combination available today (most games run fine with it, SDHC compatible, USB mic compatible, etc...).
It seems to me that the problem is not always present, but I don't understand what makes the difference. Some people report they don't have any problem with CFG USB Loader v60 and cIOSX 56 Rev20, but that's also the configuration I'm using, so I don't think the loader is the key.
I'm quite convinced it's a cIOS-related problem (I have the original games discs, and there is no lag when using games from disc channel).

Any advice/tip to try to solve this issue is heavily welcome. Or maybe we just have to wait for a future revision ?
Thanks in advance.
The problem is still there with cIOSX rev21.

Cause of the issue

To sum up ...
The controller lag issue is caused by the HDD you use (if you want more details, see the great posts by BBogey in the cIOSX Rev21 thread, as well as posts by xxbeanxx and Lacius). The issue exists with rev20 and rev21, but not with rev19 - as Lacius said before, no matter the base IOS you use (the title of this topic is a bit incorrect but I can't modify it).

Here's a quick way to check if your drive has the controller lag issue :
- load "Wario Land: Shake It!" using cIOSX rev20 or rev21 and stay on the screen where you choose a save file.
- if you can see a message saying the wiimote is disconnected (approximately every 8 seconds), too bad, your HDD has the controller lag issue.
There are of course many other ways to check, since other games have the same issue : Twilight Princess, Rock Band 3, Guitar Hero WoR, Wii Sports Resort, Cooking Mama, Animal Crossing: City Folk...

HDD with controller lag issue with cIOSX Rev20+
- Lacie Rikiki 500GB USB 3.0
- Packard Bell Silver 640GB
- Seagate Expansion 250GB / 320GB / 500GB
- Western Digital My Passport 250GB
- Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0
- Western Digital My Passport Essential 320GB / 500GB / 1TB
- Western Digital Elements 500GB / 1TB / 2TB
- Western Digital Elements SE 2,5" 1TB
- Western Digital My Book 2TB USB 3.0

HDD without controller lag issue with cIOSX Rev20+
- Hitachi XL Desktopdrive 2TB
- I-O Data HDL-GS 620GB
- IProDrive 1.0TB 3.5" External Hard Drive (HDE11TB)
- Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB (not sure!)
- Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500 GB USB 2.0 Desktop (model with the green button).
- Western Digital My Book Premium ES Edition 500GB

Reported as 'working' or 'not working' according to different people (I would'nt buy these drives if I were you)
- Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB
- Western Digital My Book 1TB

If you encounter this lag issue with other HDD or are SURE your HDD does not have the issue (please do the 'Warioland : Shake It" test, loading the game with cIOSX rev20 or rev21), just reply here and I'll add it to the list.

The fix ... at last

XFlak had the great idea to replace the EHCI module from rev21 with the one from rev19 (the last version known no to have the controller lag), and the lag disappeared.
Then, davebaol and xabby666 managed to modify the EHCI module from rev21 to fix the issue. They modified the code handling the watchdog preventing the hard drive to spin down (if you want more technical details, just look a bit further in this topic).

You can now easily build WADs for these modified cIOSes (v21d2x, for v21 davebaol/xabby666/XFlak), thanks to XFlak's ModMii 4.4.7.

XFlak said:
4.4.7 Changelog
[*]Added cIOS249[XX]-v21d2x for IOSs with bases 37/38/56/57. cIOS249[56]-v21d2x
and cIOS250[57]-v21d2x are the new ModMii recommended cIOS 249 and 250.
Thanks to davebaol and xabby666 for working with me to create these cIOSs.

If you still encounter freezes ...
XFlak said:
(especially with Guitar Hero : Warriors of Rock)

If you look carefully at this video (gh6_lag.mpg), the picture seems to be shortly freezing at 0'10 (focus on the grey background, it's easier to see it this way).
No matter the version of cIOSX rev21 you are using, here is the fix :
QUOTE(sock99 @ Jan 29 2011, 05:42 PM)
when I came to GH6 & played Burn it stuttered every 30 secs or so. However, I unplugged my Wi-fi & restarted the Wii and played the same track with no problems. So can you try with disconnecting your wi-fi & see if it's any better?

Thanks!

I'd like to thank davebaol, xabby666 and XFlak (of course!), but also Lacius, BBogey, oggzee, sock99 and every people here that have done some tests and reports, they were really helpful on the way to find the solution. Thanks a lot !
have cIOS250[58]-v21d2x?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
cIOSrev21 with base 58 is unique from other bases as it doesn't use an EHCI module, instead it uses a USBS module (and AFAIK wanin still hasn't released the source to this). Since cIOSv21 with base 58 doesn't have an ehci module to begin with we can't replace it with our fixed EHCI module. We could attempt to modify wanin's USBS module, but we'd need the source before even being able to attempt something like that.

So I would NOT expect to see cIOS249[58]-v21d2x anytime soon.

edit: davebaol beat me to it!
biggrin.gif

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
davebaol said:
@Etheboss
Add to your list Sam & Max Season 1 and Season 2. Both require wmd to play each chapter.

And maybe this list can help you
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Game_Compatibility_Table
Thanx for the info, i will add S&M S1 & S2.

I already knew about that list, but that list is pretty long, it is a pain to go trough..and i think that list is outdated too.

For example: Shaun White Skateboarding Not Working PAL SHNP41 2.67GB screen goes black. 0 04Nov2010

I am playing it right now, it is working a 100% (offcourse with ciosx rev21d2x)

LOL, maybe i'll go out on a limb here and try to test and update this list too with the new rev.
unsure.gif

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In RB3 I noticed some funky stuff going on while using the keyboard. It would play fine, then every so often it would just stop registering button presses altogether. The keyboard has a receiver that plugs into the usb port, that connects wireless via bluetooth (correct me if i'm wrong). Guitars seemed to play smoothly, didn't test drums but I'm sure they are fine. The mic seemed to work ok for me, but i'm not sure if its just me or is there a little more delay in the mic audio coming out? (I'm plugged in through the keyboard 2 port hub). I'll run through some other stuff when I get a chance.

All this is running with 249(56)d2x, on a 1tb WD passport drive.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's another normal RB3 bug, the USB ports occasionally go dead killing the keyboard/drums receiver and the ethernet adapter if you're using one. Harmonix admitted they knew about it before release but their excuse for letting it slide was that they were unable to reliably reproduce it.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would I need this new cIOS?
The ones I have already seem to be doing fine, but if there is a reason I should upgrade I certainly don't want to miss out. So, what are the reasons?

kamiro04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
davebaol said:
This game list on HackWii reports the ios required by many games and also a Windows tool to analyze the iso so to retrieve that info by yourself.
The ios used by the original game is a good indicator for the base to use when you launch that game through a loader.
I was looking for that kind of app a long ago, thanks davebaol!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only games I tried that doesn't seem to work with base 56, are the 57 ones, so... a 56+57 merge would be like "the ultimate cIOS"?

EDIT: sorry, mistyped your nick.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I doubt we'll see another merged cIOS. Hermes stopped supporting merged base IOSs effective in his v5 cIOS installer. I believe it had something to do with the stability of the cIOS being compromised when it's based on two different IOSs. Despite this fact, cIOS223v4[37+38] is a great cIOS and still recommended today.

kamiro04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
XFlak said:
I doubt we'll see another merged cIOS. Hermes stopped supporting merged base IOSs effective in his v5 cIOS installer. I believe it had something to do with the stability of the cIOS being compromised when it's based on two different IOSs. Despite this fact, cIOS223v4[37+38] is a great cIOS and still recommended today.
Thanks for your answer, I didn't know the reason behind that change. And, as you said, the 37+38-v4 is a workhorse - I never had a problem with it - I'm using 56 for its speed. So far so good!

bseos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@bseos
HAWX2 runs on IOS56, this info is in the tmd inside the game partition.
And AFAIK it works with cios based on 56 too.

@killplaystation
Read the 1st post

kamiro04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Etheboss said:
@davebaol, do you also know if there is a list of games that require a certain adjustment like the games you mentioned?

I am also looking for a list of games that need alt.dols/wdm to work.

note: see here what i mean with this list if it is not clear.
(I try to keep this page updated)

Maybe somebody else knows a recent list.
I get the impression that every list i find is outdated or to long/difficult to read.
I'm testing Movie Studios Party with both 249[56] and 250[57] v21d2x and it works perfect (WiiFlow 2.2rc1/CFG-Loader v65).
As I was saying to davebaol, so far this 249[56] gave me the same (excelent) results as 222[37+38]-v4, and faster!
The only games I need to change the cIOS are the ones that run on base 57.
I'll try to test more problematic games I found on the lists and notify you.

T

TheRealVisitor

Wanin uses for his v21 IOS56v5661 and IOS57v5918 as base.

Wouldn't it be better to use the more up to date versions IOS56v5662 and IOS57v5919 (maybe in ModMii)? Is there something new in the newer revs?

Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Sports Mix, Metroid Prime: Other M for example are using IOS56v5662 by default on an unmodded Wii.

I know the games ran fine on cIOSx bases IOS56v5661 and IOS57v5918, just wondering. What do you think?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TheRealVisitor said:
Wouldn't it be better to use the more up to date versions IOS56v5662 and IOS57v5919 (maybe in ModMii)? Is there something new in the newer revs?
I heard there is nothing new in these revs, only the version number is updated. I will check it now, but I don't think there is something new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back