Hacking cIOS rev14 bug list

Harlay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
Freezed after "new game" of the Monster Hunter 3 with USB Loader.
Couldn't reset the games with USB Loader.
When you in the games, press Home button and click reset, but the game is not reset instead the Wii hard resets.
But all of the games manufactured by Nintendo are worked fine with the reset function.

OOPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OOPMan said:
Yet another SSBB error:

My specs:
BootMii Beta2, HBC 1.03, System Menu 3.1E, PAL, DVD9 SSBB, NeoGamma R6, CIOS rev14.

Error occurs:
As soon as I exit the first door on the first Kid Icarus level (Ie. The first level you go to after finishing the initial stadium levels at the beginning of story mode). Presents the same "An error has occurred, remove disc and restart Wii" others have reported.

I think that this is definitely a video-related issue.

I'm going to regression test on my Wii with CIOS 13b, 13 and 12 and see if I have any luck.

Right, this morning I tested SSBB with NeoGamma R7 and CIOS rev14. The error still occurs.

Afterwards, I reverted my CIOS to rev13b and tested with both NeoGamma R6 and R7. The error does not occur.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TeenTin said:
ajoesmith said:
I have a 3.3E wii with Wiikey 2, HBC and Usb loader GX and cIOS rev 14 installed.

Tried to play SSBB tonight for the first time from an external HDD using usb loader GX and i can play the game but after i beat someone it comes up on the screen an error message and to remove disc....

I played using my full SSBB rip, dual layer (DVD 9), i have a mod chip so no need for a back loader and it plays fine, i created a new save point and then tried to load the save point via the HDD image and usb loader gx of SSBB and the same error pops up immediately i load a save game Error... please remove disc and power off Wii'

not sure hwy this is happening.

I have tried all cIOS versions 14, 13b, 13 etc, none work for SSBB for me

Its only this game though, so i can play if off the disc but would be nice to have a solution

Try configurable USB Loader.

This is a known issue and is said in multiple threads here that you must wait for rev15 for the fix. No loader will fix it for him.

brand0dotcom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
TeenTin said:
ajoesmith said:
I have a 3.3E wii with Wiikey 2, HBC and Usb loader GX and cIOS rev 14 installed.

Tried to play SSBB tonight for the first time from an external HDD using usb loader GX and i can play the game but after i beat someone it comes up on the screen an error message and to remove disc....

I played using my full SSBB rip, dual layer (DVD 9), i have a mod chip so no need for a back loader and it plays fine, i created a new save point and then tried to load the save point via the HDD image and usb loader gx of SSBB and the same error pops up immediately i load a save game Error... please remove disc and power off Wii'

not sure hwy this is happening.

I have tried all cIOS versions 14, 13b, 13 etc, none work for SSBB for me

Its only this game though, so i can play if off the disc but would be nice to have a solution

Try configurable USB Loader.

This is a known issue and is said in multiple threads here that you must wait for rev15 for the fix. No loader will fix it for him.

just use use usb loader cfg and change IOS to 222-mload it'll eliminate the errors in ssbb

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I see on the wish list IOS37 as base for RB instruments, but why not asking for multi installation option, like IOS38 patched as IOS249 and IOS37 patched as IOS250 or viceversa or better yet, I don't own the RB intruments so I would like to have cIOS_10 in slot 249 an the latest in slot 250...!!
smile.gif

mamozkay

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
AdamBrunt said:
r3dcat said:
I was having a lot of problems trying to get my USB microphones to work my Wii USB Loader ... I was using cIOS36 rev10 and Configurable USB Loader v37

AFAIK the mics won't work if you're using rev10 as rev10 blocks all usb ports apart from the USB HDD. You need rev12 (or newer) to get the mics working

actually i got same problem. my system is 4.0U and using neogamma r7 to load american idol, but my usb mic is not detected. when i use disc channel to load my original boogie, the mic works just fine. i'm using cios 36 rev 10 and when i use neogamma r7, it recommend me to upgrade my cios to newer version.

QUOTE(r3dcat @ Jul 30 2009, 06:47 AM)
I have just installed cIOS38 rev14 (no additional updates/patches - I do not have Hermes 222/223 mload installed) and it looks like it has resolved the issue at least partially for me! ... I say partially because I have dual mics with a usb adapter but at the moment it only functions as a single mic ... both mics are not detected
frown.gif

i only have a single mic though. but i wil try the solution to upgrade my cios to rev 14, so i hope this will work when i use backup loader to load my karaoke game

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
simple block for IOS reloading doesn't give any meningful advantage.

if loader will block reloading, then game will hang later. After reloading IOS, game simple calls IOS init function. If IOS really reloaded then this function will be executed fine. If IOS haven't been reloaded then call for this function will hang wii because there are some handles haven't been closed (while IOS reload, it initializes all subsystems and all opened handles are just ignored) which makes IOS Init function to hang. System can not continue until all handles will be closed properly before IOS init call. And no, you can not just skip IOS init. Without IOS init code will not work.

So, instead of block IOS reloading, cIOS should have some trick code which will save current selected USB/SD device and disk ID and then will reload itself (instead requested IOS) normally and then reopen USB/SD and DiskID as it has been saved before.
In this case all games reloading IOS will work fine.

Unfortunately, waninkoko is not capable to write such code. He is capable to gather code from different sources in one package but when it comes to writting some completely new code, he can't. If you will analyse what he done, then u will see that everything is not from him, but from others.
At the same time he doesn't want to open the source code for his cIOS to let code improvements by others. I could try implement cIOS reloading if i could have source code. But i have no wish and no time to create my own cIOS from ground.
Actually, i don't care that cIOS is closed source. Probably i would contribute code for cIOS reloading (as i did for DVD cover check. It's easy to implement but it was not easy to find), but in this particular case, i need to access to source code to be able to check and implement my ideas.

p.s: may be i should try to exchange" DVD check feature to him with aquiring source code
wink.gif

may be now we wouldn't stick to alternative dol loading.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
Unfortunately, waninkoko is not capable to write such code. He is capable to gather code from different sources in one package but when it comes to writting some completely new code, he can't. If you will analyse what he done, then u will see that everything is not from him, but from others.
At the same time he doesn't want to open the source code for his cIOS to let code improvements by others. I could try implement cIOS reloading if i could have source code. But i have no wish and no time to create my own cIOS from ground.
Could you perhaps try to get in touch with Hermes? He might be more receptive to having someone work on his IOS than Waninkoko.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sorgelig said:
p.s: may be i should try to exchange" DVD check feature to him with aquiring source code
wink.gif

may be now we wouldn't stick to alternative dol loading.

What DVD check do you mean? cIOSrev14 finally has proper ioctls to tell the game that a disc is inserted. Anyways, i want the source to be open too, did you try to contact Waninkoko directly at #cIOS @freenode on irc?

Dr. Clipper said:
QUOTE(sorgelig @ Sep 7 2009, 06:20 PM) Unfortunately, waninkoko is not capable to write such code. He is capable to gather code from different sources in one package but when it comes to writting some completely new code, he can't. If you will analyse what he done, then u will see that everything is not from him, but from others.
Could you perhaps try to get in touch with Hermes? He might be more receptive to having someone work on his IOS than Waninkoko.

How to contact him? In english.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
How to contact him? In english.
He seems to read/write English well enough given the readmesin his releases and the cIOS Installer text. Just PM him at Elotrolado, I guess. Sign up for their site is easy and can be done in Engish even.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
What DVD check do you mean?
i mean DVD check in such games like Metroid Prime 3. It was incorporated in cIOS 13.

QUOTE said:
did you try to contact Waninkoko directly at #cIOS @freenode on irc?
yes. that's how i gave him DVD check fix. Later i've asked if he's doing something to fix IOS reloading problem - he just said that it's impossible to fix. Later i tried to explain him my idea for IOS reloading but i looked like he doesn't understand how to make it. I've asked for source code (to experiment by myself) - he refused. So, i didn't bothered him from that time.

Could you perhaps try to get in touch with Hermes?
Yeah, i've also though about it after some time.
Unfortunately, i'm not familiar with his cIOS. Although UniiLoader supports this cIOS, i need more time to understand its logic. I remember something didn't work good with his cIOS (at least in UniiLoader). That "plugin" feature doesn't look convenient for me.

P.S.: I'm not so young already, and thus coding for Wii is not my first and even 10th priority. Sometimes i have mood to write something and at that time i can spend a lot of time.
So, i'm not always available for wii. But Metroid Prime is the game i like. It reminds me Unreal PC game which is the best (From my point of view) adventure game. That's why DVD check fix has been caused by Metroid Prime 3
smile.gif

And this hassle with MP Trilogy bothering me too...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
There is one more thing interesting me with the whole MPT thing. It's to do with the fact that it works with alternative .dol, but doesn't receive any of the configuration info (which save slot, 480i/p, difficulty). That info almost certainly has to be in a static location in the memory or simply within the stack frame, right?

Is it possible to find where that information is being stored and duplicate it within a loader before running the alternative .dol to achieve the same effect as loading it normally within the game? Of course, fixing IOS reload would make this obsolete, but it might be easier to do right now.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
simple block for IOS reloading doesn't give any meningful advantage.

if loader will block reloading, then game will hang later. After reloading IOS, game simple calls IOS init function. If IOS really reloaded then this function will be executed fine. If IOS haven't been reloaded then call for this function will hang wii because there are some handles haven't been closed (while IOS reload, it initializes all subsystems and all opened handles are just ignored) which makes IOS Init function to hang. System can not continue until all handles will be closed properly before IOS init call. And no, you can not just skip IOS init. Without IOS init code will not work.

All handles or just the official ones? I mean would it not be possible to get IOS reload to just shut down the offical subsystems and the IOS init code to not touch anything to do with the dip module?

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dr. Clipper said:
There is one more thing interesting me with the whole MPT thing. It's to do with the fact that it works with alternative .dol, but doesn't receive any of the configuration info (which save slot, 480i/p, difficulty). That info almost certainly has to be in a static location in the memory or simply within the stack frame, right?

Is it possible to find where that information is being stored and duplicate it within a loader before running the alternative .dol to achieve the same effect as loading it normally within the game? Of course, fixing IOS reload would make this obsolete, but it might be easier to do right now.

Slot 1, verteran difficulty is the default, other settings are either done via something at a fixed memory address or a parameter for the .dol. It could be something simple as start MP2 .dol with parameters "2 1" for 3rd slot, normal difficulty. But i'm not interested in that, if anyone is, FTPii and one of my forwarders has parameter support when launching .dols.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
All handles or just the official ones? I mean would it not be possible to get IOS reload to just shut down the offical subsystems and the IOS init code to not touch anything to do with the dip module?
to load second dol, multidol game does:
1) loads some part of apploader into himem
2) apploader loads some other part of applader into lowmem
3) apploader in lowmem loads another apploader part into himem
4) apploader in himem loads target dol and run it.
5) loaded dol reinit whole system (IOS reload, IOS init)

I'm not sure why need so many reloads of apploader, but the game i've tried (Mortal Kombat, because its first dol is very simple to analyze) did this.
I think IOS init function doesn't provide full reinitializaiton and probably it can be called only ONCE, stright after IOS loading. Since second dol doesn't know anything about first one, it's impossible to re-use memory from first dol. So, all buffers and handles should be reinited.
I'm not sure if it's possible to full reinit in cIOS without reloading. Probably, no. Because IOS designed for "short" lifetime. System loads IOS with every new dol. Next dol can load the same IOS or another. So, IOS doesn't need to re-use itself. I will be not surprised if IOS removes some its code from memory after load (just to free more memory for application) and thus simple unable to do full reinitialization without reloading.

So, most correct way is to let cIOS reload itself and then re-open selected earlier ISO.
I think, cIOS can find several bytes (8-12 bytes are enough) in memory which is not touched by IOS loading procedure and any (ok, "any of multidol" is enough) game, put gameID and USB/SD flag there along with checksumm. After that reloads itself. In IOS init (or more suitable) function add code which will check this memory against checksumm and if it ok, grab gameID and USB/SD flag and then re-open selected game.
That's my idea. It's simple and should work in theory at 100%.
Implementation probably will not be so easy, but i'm sure it's possible.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The disc id should always be at 0x80000000, so you only need 1 byte for sd/usb and which partition. But in order to make this work, all the wbfs code would have to run on the cIOS. If the cIOS would do all the wbfs init stuff, it could do that on IOS init or whatever. Right now you need lots of code in a loader to make a disc loader an usb loader. If you want your method of IOS Reload surviving, you need to write one ioctl, you add to a disc loader to make it an usb loader.

markedmanner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having no issues with SSBB or Mario Kart. I am using cIOS rev14 with USB Loader GX rev 721. I have system menu 4.1 installed I can play both SSBB and Mario Kart online and the regular modes without any freezing or skipping of the music. I am using NTSC games on a NTSC wii. The Conduit online multiplayer also works without any glitches I have never had it freeze or run slow.

Also I am able to watch the entire intro video on SSBB without it giving the insert disc message.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol