Hacking cIOS 249 patching issue in USB loaders

Davedom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just throwing out an idea and seeing as their are WAY too many cluttered threads, it would be nice to have threads for individual loader issues

This one being that games like medal of honor hereos 2 that worked when patched to 249 in backup loader no longer works in USB loaders even if patched

My thinking is that it is because the games are in WBFS and the sizes are A LOT smaller possible removing the patched part of the game because the wii doesn't need that part any more.
This is the best i could think of, any other ideas??

To solve this i think someone
sorry i am no coder, only suggesting
would have to hard code the "option" in a loader for the game to use 249. I have no idea how this would be done but i think if you were able to understand the patcher code it could be done?
Is this possible? anybody up to it?

estebanchaidez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or someting like preloader where you get to choose the IOS, but for USB Launcher ISO's before you load the game. Does USB Launcher have an "Advanced Options" menu? Like the one for Backup Launcher that someone patched it so that you would have to hold "1" in order to use it's option menu when loading.

Davedom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently options are different for each version but i would think you could just have a "toggle" button if any of this is possible

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Speaking of too many threads...

All the games that required IOS Version patching for Gamma and SoftChip don't work with the usbloader. And it's not a size issue, the problem is the ios reload of the games.

Davedom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by too many threads i meant to many with 50+ pages...impossible to navigate all issues

and i know that its not a size issue, i am saying that the size change could be removing the patched part of the iso because the wii no longer needs it as it is WBFS..therefore it doesn't load the 249 IOS

At least thats what i think is happening, correct me if i am wrong.

Davedom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because that is the patched IOS that the loaders(backup and USB use) so you have to patch them to make sure they actually use it

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes but why did these particular games need patching? because not all needed patching for the backup loader did they? e.g. metroid 1 wii needed it, but mario galaxy didn't? or am i confusing things

Davedom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure but i doubt it seeing as such games as MOHH2 doesn't work
most games probably default to 249

I would like the loader to auto patch though but don't know how to, which is why i posted the thread

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Davedom said:
because that is the patched IOS that the loaders(backup and USB use) so you have to patch them to make sure they actually use it

Exactly, for most games that's not necessary, but for some.

The IOS Version patched patches the information which IOS is used by the game inside the tmd, i really doubt Waninkoko managed that this file got lost. I'm sure he knows about the issue of the not working games. If it would be that easy, he would have fixed it before the very first release.

The problem is the ios reload. After an ios reload in homebrew you need to reinit the filesystem, but i can imagine that it's 1000 times more complicated to do that inside the dip. And that not just because nobody tells the dip that there was an ios reload.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What about games that didn't actually need ios patching to 249 ??
They won't work either ?
Back in my noob days (still a bit a noob I guess
smile.gif
) I used to patch all
my iso's to 249.

I have saved all those iso's to my harddrive, and would like to use them in the
usb loader when I get my external harddrive.

And if they don't work, could I just patch them back to their original IOS number ??

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tested a patched game. It's original IOS is 30 (or 33?) and I patched it to 249. No problem at all, runs patched and unpatched. So I don't think u'll have problems with that, except for the games, that really needed the patch before (like MOHH2).

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
Speaking of too many threads...

All the games that required IOS Version patching for Gamma and SoftChip don't work with the usbloader. And it's not a size issue, the problem is the ios reload of the games.

Well... Wouldn't cIOSCORP do the job then?
As far as i know, cIOSCORP would patch all IOS to include the CIOS features...
...so that it isn't necessary which IOS a specific game is using.
So, an updated CIOSCORP(with USB + WBFS) would be "the deal".

Am i wrong?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No. Why do i have to explain this 10 times? The games that need the patching need it, because they load their IOS themselves. If you patch the game to IOS249, it loads IOS249 itself, YES it does that too when loaded by the usb loader. But the ios reload kills the storage device, and if there was an easy solution for that Waninkoko would have released that info in the very first release.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
No. Why do i have to explain this 10 times? The games that need the patching need it, because they load their IOS themselves. If you patch the game to IOS249, it loads IOS249 itself, YES it does that too when loaded by the usb loader. But the ios reload kills the storage device, and if there was an easy solution for that Waninkoko would have released that info in the very first release.

oh, this does explain a lot. Did not know that. THX for the info!
So we would need some kind of intelligent CIOS, aren't we?
One with a memory which would survive a reload of itself...
A external memory like a INI maybe... ?

ppmeis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I talk with waninkoko about ios_reload issue. When I talked to him about excite truck issues (SD access issue), he talked to me for help with his releases for testing. The first title I installed on my HDD was Red Steel (my first game on Wii =)), and didn't run on USBL 1.2 :S. Firstly after lot of tries we supossed the issue was because of my HDD is >512GB, then Waninkoko found the error on source code and fixed it. I tried again, now the loader installed the game faster and smoother, but still didn't run. So I saw on other forum that Preloader resolves ios_reload problems with backup loader (softmods).

I informed to Waninkoko, and he talk to me that:

IOS_Reload function is based on System Menu, for this reason preloader patch function runs on Backup Launcher.
When a Game call to IOS_Reload function, The IOS restart, and turn off usb devices. That's why doesn't run on USBLoader.

fix? maybe patch "on the fly" calls searching IOS_Reload made by the game. But first we must search inside Red Steel for this part of code that tries to reload...

Another solution (maybe not) is patch previously that code on Red Steel.

It's only my opinion...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr