Chrono Trigger PC port gets final major content update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 3, 2018.

Front-page
    f7c9bd54836999bd1e1dd2416e4a9cff17cd2e07.

When one of the most beloved classic RPGs, Chrono Trigger, was announced to be receiving a PC version, many were excited. That excitement quickly turned into disappointment when fans realized that Square Enix had merely given the mobile version a direct port to Steam. Since the initial controversial release back in March, Square Enix has been issuing updates to the game, and patching it to fix problems, such as changing the clunky mobile UI, adding keyboard and mouse support, and more. On August 3rd, Patch #5 was released, which will be the final major content update for the game.

The latest update allows for players to rebind keys on both keyboard and controller, resolves an issue the game had with crashing on certain GPUs, and also adds the "extras" menu from the PS1 and DS version of the game. this unlocks when you complete the game at least one time, and lets you see all cutscenes, illustrations, sample the soundtrack, and view every ending you've unlocked.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (20 replies)
  1. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I'm better than you I think

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    At least SE is working on improving the game, though you'd think they'd give what is widely regarded to be one of their greatest games a bit more care and attention.

You'd still probably be better served playing this on another system.

Last edited by B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N, Aug 3, 2018
  2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Months to patch a 16bit game. Well, crap.

RedBlueGreen, MarkDarkness and Zense like this.
  3. Priestiality

Priestiality GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    United States
    The DS version, preferably.

drgnslayers, BORTZ, lincruste and 6 others like this.
  4. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Eh, with as big as they are as a gaming company? You'd think they wouldn't skimp on major ports like this. I could understand a few minor bugs, but the port was lazy.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Or least did the same thing for Romancing SaGa 2.

Seriously as much as people complained about this game and they did something about it, I had figured the same treatment for that one would also been enforced. I know people probably care more about this game than Romancing SaGa, but that game should have more focus. This is the first time the game has been available to a wide audience since 1993 JAPAN ONLY SNES release, and all they do is slap the android version on to consoles. It's a new game to many of us compared to chrono trigger.

I'm not saying that either one is more important than the other, or that either of them are bad as a game, just that I wish the same attention to a Fan Favorite game was given to a more obscure game.:blink:

Juggalo Debo and MarkDarkness like this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight
    This message by Sonic Angel Knight has been removed from public view by Chary, Aug 3, 2018, Reason: Duplicate post.
    Aug 3, 2018
  7. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I'd just hate for them to see the back-lash, or lack of sales because of their lack of effort/affection, as folks not wanting any more chrono content. I still want my chrono break and/or chrono cross remake, dangit.

Xzi, codezer0 and Pandaxclone2 like this.
  8. julianuf

julianuf Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    United States
    Now if only they would go back and give ff5 and 6 this attention... :(

ShonenJump likes this.
  9. XDel
    This message by XDel has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Aug 4, 2018, Reason: One-word post.
    Aug 3, 2018
  10. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    It's funny how they fucked up a 20+ year old game port so bad. All they had to do was just copy and paste the DS version to the PC, and add a few keyboard controls, a few graphic resolution settings to it. Bam, people would have been happy.

leafeon34, SS4 and MarkDarkness like this.
  11. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Is the disappearing cat bug finally fixed?

EDIT: Yes, it finally is.

Now if we could only get officially implemented filtering options (like bi-linear) or different dialogue box colors that'd be great.

Last edited by supermist, Aug 3, 2018
  12. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    They might as well port this to the Switch now.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  13. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Nice, but still not going to buy this meh port. You're better off just playing the DS version than this thing.

Dunno if this update will fix it, but I can never seem to get the game to actually control properly for some reason on my laptop because of the shitty mobile touchscreen controls they kept with this port. It would always act like I'm moving the "virtual touch" analog stick up, even when trying to play with a gamepad/keyboard >.<

SS4 and MarkDarkness like this.
  14. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    The lack of care given by S-E to their PC ports is a mix of amusing and downright pathetic. As a poster said above, the way they handled bringing SaGa for the first time to English-speakers was nothing short of atrocious, on a game that by its very nature is already NES-hard, what with random skill learning and such.

That Chrono commands such power as to force them to implement fixes is something that sincerely makes me proud to still hold this game in my Top 5 since I was pretty much a child.

15. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Did anyone even complain about Romancing Saga 2 when it became available? I just checked steam and the reviews for chrono trigger is 7X more than Romancing Saga 2. Just shows how something more popular gets more attention than something that could have been better presented to westerners especially for the ones who never had a chance to play this game.

Beside the obvious mobile port of the game, they didn't even bother to include a manual for a unconventional game which is my real gripe with it, despite having far simpler games having them like Sonic Mania.:blink:

16. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Canada
    In front of my Computer
    Your best bet for those are the GBA version with the SNES sound patch.

And as for my thoughts in regards to CT to add to this thread, forget this updated PC version get the DS version like everyone said or even the SNES version.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Whew, glad I never spent money on this port.

Those sound restoration hacks are a godsend. GBA Snes ports sound like garbage.

18. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    They pretty much set it up for failure. It was a quick and dirty port job and that's that. I mean, if the mechanics they employ in these games of changing characters around all the time, random skills, unscaled difficulty and etc. were common it would be one thing... but it's literally the opposite. Better luck in 10 years or so when they remake it in 3D, I guess.

19. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But then it will be like Secret of Mana :blink:

Kinda wish they considered using graphical art style that Arc system works did with Dragon Ball Fighters Z to make a Chrono trigger HD or something with voiced characters and cutscenes. But no body but me wants that. :ninja:

MarkDarkness likes this.
  20. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Naw, i mean it's okay, but the original woolsey translation is better than the ds one. reallyt just the psx version with badly pressed discs making load times a bitch should be avoided of the older ports. and if you have a way to play psx backups, just copying that to CDR should work better in that regard, it did when I burned a copy.

21. Medveitsi

Medveitsi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2016
    Finland
    i think PC is now the best version of the game

22. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    I guess I could buy this game now. My first jrpg ever finally eternalized on the pc. I hope there will be mods

23. JazzCat.CL

JazzCat.CL GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Chile
    port to vita pls