When one of the most beloved classic RPGs, Chrono Trigger, was announced to be receiving a PC version, many were excited. That excitement quickly turned into disappointment when fans realized that Square Enix had merely given the mobile version a direct port to Steam. Since the initial controversial release back in March, Square Enix has been issuing updates to the game, and patching it to fix problems, such as changing the clunky mobile UI, adding keyboard and mouse support, and more. On August 3rd, Patch #5 was released, which will be the final major content update for the game.
The latest update allows for players to rebind keys on both keyboard and controller, resolves an issue the game had with crashing on certain GPUs, and also adds the "extras" menu from the PS1 and DS version of the game. this unlocks when you complete the game at least one time, and lets you see all cutscenes, illustrations, sample the soundtrack, and view every ending you've unlocked.
- Key binding function implemented
Key binding functionality for game pad, keyboard and mouse controls has been implemented to improve the game controls.
- When using a game pad, you can now change some of the button settings from the game menu or title menu by going to settings -> controller settings -> game pad settings.
- When using a keyboard, you can now change the various key settings from the game menu or title menu by going to settings -> controller settings -> keyboard settings.
- When using a mouse, you can now click the right mouse button to cancel. You can confirm using a left click, and move characters and cursors by dragging the mouse. Changes to the mouse settings in the operating system will also be reflected in-game.
- An extras section has been added!
This has been added to the title menu. After completing the game, the following sections will be unlocked:
*Only endings that have been unlocked/viewed already will be viewable in the “Endings” option. All other content is unlocked at once.
View all movie scenes from the game
View various illustrations from CHRONO TRIGGER
Listen to the BGM from the game
Can view any endings that have been unlocked
*Please be aware that the game completion status prior to the update being applied will not be reflected. In order to unlock the extras and endings, you will need to view the game ending again after the latest update has been installed.
- Adjustments to various features
- The item selection window has been changed to adapt its size to the actual number of items in the player’s possession. Due to this, it is now no longer possible to leave gaps between items in the list.
- Movement settings have been re-implemented on the config. Screen. When set to “dash” the default movement speed will be running, and holding down the cancel button while moving will make characters walk. The “walk” setting is the opposite configuration.
- A confirmation dialogue is now shown when selecting “return to default” from the config screen.
- It is now possible to use direct keyboard input when entering names.
- A confirmation dialogue is now displayed when confirming entered names. If characters unable to be displayed in-game are used when entering a name, this can be checked when the dialogue is shown.
- The Simplified Chinese font used has been changed from the devices standard font, to one that better fits the aesthetic of the game.
- Bug fixes
- Issues where the game would sometimes not boot correctly on PCs with specific graphics cards installed has been fixed.
- Issues where some graphics and effects would not display correctly at specific screen sizes has been fixed.
- Several minor bugs have been fixed.