Chrono Trigger PC port gets final major content update

f7c9bd54836999bd1e1dd2416e4a9cff17cd2e07.png

When one of the most beloved classic RPGs, Chrono Trigger, was announced to be receiving a PC version, many were excited. That excitement quickly turned into disappointment when fans realized that Square Enix had merely given the mobile version a direct port to Steam. Since the initial controversial release back in March, Square Enix has been issuing updates to the game, and patching it to fix problems, such as changing the clunky mobile UI, adding keyboard and mouse support, and more. On August 3rd, Patch #5 was released, which will be the final major content update for the game.

The latest update allows for players to rebind keys on both keyboard and controller, resolves an issue the game had with crashing on certain GPUs, and also adds the "extras" menu from the PS1 and DS version of the game. this unlocks when you complete the game at least one time, and lets you see all cutscenes, illustrations, sample the soundtrack, and view every ending you've unlocked.

1. Key binding function implemented
    Key binding functionality for game pad, keyboard and mouse controls has been implemented to improve the game controls.
    • When using a game pad, you can now change some of the button settings from the game menu or title menu by going to settings -> controller settings -> game pad settings.
    • When using a keyboard, you can now change the various key settings from the game menu or title menu by going to settings -> controller settings -> keyboard settings.
    • When using a mouse, you can now click the right mouse button to cancel. You can confirm using a left click, and move characters and cursors by dragging the mouse. Changes to the mouse settings in the operating system will also be reflected in-game.

2. An extras section has been added!
    This has been added to the title menu. After completing the game, the following sections will be unlocked:
    • Movies
      View all movie scenes from the game
    • Illustrations
      View various illustrations from CHRONO TRIGGER
    • Sound
      Listen to the BGM from the game
    • Endings
      Can view any endings that have been unlocked
    *Only endings that have been unlocked/viewed already will be viewable in the “Endings” option. All other content is unlocked at once.
    *Please be aware that the game completion status prior to the update being applied will not be reflected. In order to unlock the extras and endings, you will need to view the game ending again after the latest update has been installed.

3. Adjustments to various features
    • The item selection window has been changed to adapt its size to the actual number of items in the player’s possession. Due to this, it is now no longer possible to leave gaps between items in the list.
    • Movement settings have been re-implemented on the config. Screen. When set to “dash” the default movement speed will be running, and holding down the cancel button while moving will make characters walk. The “walk” setting is the opposite configuration.
    • A confirmation dialogue is now shown when selecting “return to default” from the config screen.
    • It is now possible to use direct keyboard input when entering names.
    • A confirmation dialogue is now displayed when confirming entered names. If characters unable to be displayed in-game are used when entering a name, this can be checked when the dialogue is shown.
    • The Simplified Chinese font used has been changed from the devices standard font, to one that better fits the aesthetic of the game.

4. Bug fixes
    • Issues where the game would sometimes not boot correctly on PCs with specific graphics cards installed has been fixed.
    • Issues where some graphics and effects would not display correctly at specific screen sizes has been fixed.
    • Several minor bugs have been fixed.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
At least SE is working on improving the game, though you'd think they'd give what is widely regarded to be one of their greatest games a bit more care an attention.

You'd still probably be better served playing this on another system.
Eh, with as big as they are as a gaming company? You'd think they wouldn't skimp on major ports like this. I could understand a few minor bugs, but the port was lazy.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least SE is working on improving the game, though you'd think they'd give what is widely regarded to be one of their greatest games a bit more care an attention.
Or least did the same thing for Romancing SaGa 2.

Seriously as much as people complained about this game and they did something about it, I had figured the same treatment for that one would also been enforced. I know people probably care more about this game than Romancing SaGa, but that game should have more focus. This is the first time the game has been available to a wide audience since 1993 JAPAN ONLY SNES release, and all they do is slap the android version on to consoles. It's a new game to many of us compared to chrono trigger.

I'm not saying that either one is more important than the other, or that either of them are bad as a game, just that I wish the same attention to a Fan Favorite game was given to a more obscure game.:blink:

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the disappearing cat bug finally fixed?

EDIT: Yes, it finally is.

Now if we could only get officially implemented filtering options (like bi-linear) or different dialogue box colors that'd be great.

Last edited by supermist,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Nice, but still not going to buy this meh port. You're better off just playing the DS version than this thing.

Dunno if this update will fix it, but I can never seem to get the game to actually control properly for some reason on my laptop because of the shitty mobile touchscreen controls they kept with this port. It would always act like I'm moving the "virtual touch" analog stick up, even when trying to play with a gamepad/keyboard >.<

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The lack of care given by S-E to their PC ports is a mix of amusing and downright pathetic. As a poster said above, the way they handled bringing SaGa for the first time to English-speakers was nothing short of atrocious, on a game that by its very nature is already NES-hard, what with random skill learning and such.

That Chrono commands such power as to force them to implement fixes is something that sincerely makes me proud to still hold this game in my Top 5 since I was pretty much a child.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of care given by S-E to their PC ports is a mix of amusing and downright pathetic. As a poster said above, the way they handled bringing SaGa for the first time to English-speakers was nothing short of atrocious, on a game that by its very nature is already NES-hard, what with random skill learning and such.
Did anyone even complain about Romancing Saga 2 when it became available? I just checked steam and the reviews for chrono trigger is 7X more than Romancing Saga 2. Just shows how something more popular gets more attention than something that could have been better presented to westerners especially for the ones who never had a chance to play this game.

Beside the obvious mobile port of the game, they didn't even bother to include a manual for a unconventional game which is my real gripe with it, despite having far simpler games having them like Sonic Mania.:blink:

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Now if only they would go back and give ff5 and 6 this attention... :(
Your best bet for those are the GBA version with the SNES sound patch.

And as for my thoughts in regards to CT to add to this thread, forget this updated PC version get the DS version like everyone said or even the SNES version.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whew, glad I never spent money on this port.

Your best bet for those are the GBA version with the SNES sound patch.

And as for my thoughts in regards to CT to add to this thread, forget this updated PC version get the DS version like everyone said or even the SNES version.

Those sound restoration hacks are a godsend. GBA Snes ports sound like garbage.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did anyone even complain about Romancing Saga 2 when it became available? I just checked steam and the reviews for chrono trigger is 7X more than Romancing Saga 2. Just shows how something more popular gets more attention than something that could have been better presented to westerners especially for the ones who never had a chance to play this game.

Beside the obvious mobile port of the game, they didn't even bother to include a manual for a unconventional game which is my real gripe with it, despite having far simpler games having them like Sonic Mania.:blink:
They pretty much set it up for failure. It was a quick and dirty port job and that's that. I mean, if the mechanics they employ in these games of changing characters around all the time, random skills, unscaled difficulty and etc. were common it would be one thing... but it's literally the opposite. Better luck in 10 years or so when they remake it in 3D, I guess.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better luck in 10 years or so when they remake it in 3D, I guess.
But then it will be like Secret of Mana :blink:

Kinda wish they considered using graphical art style that Arc system works did with Dragon Ball Fighters Z to make a Chrono trigger HD or something with voiced characters and cutscenes. But no body but me wants that. :ninja:

Reactions: MarkDarkness

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS version, preferably.

Naw, i mean it's okay, but the original woolsey translation is better than the ds one. reallyt just the psx version with badly pressed discs making load times a bitch should be avoided of the older ports. and if you have a way to play psx backups, just copying that to CDR should work better in that regard, it did when I burned a copy.

Medveitsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
At least SE is working on improving the game, though you'd think they'd give what is widely regarded to be one of their greatest games a bit more care and attention.

You'd still probably be better served playing this on another system.
i think PC is now the best version of the game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday! +1