Hardware Choose a Modchip is a pain in the ass?

Narfsort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi guys,

now i searched around 2-3 hours in the www for "the best" modchip... i found alot and drilt down my list to around 5... from this point i cant decide which has the best price / performance and hope you guys could give me asome hints

first of all my favorit list:

- Wasabi DX
- FlatMii
- SunDrive
- WiiKey Fusion
- Wode JukeBox

importend points for me are:

- compatible with the newest wii-drive + newest wii firmware
- can start/play ALL games out there (from backup disc OR hdd/usb/sd)
- future save concept (easy update and so on)
- price

currently i like the wode idea but also the sunDrive sounds not bad as some kind of "new modchip concepts" problem here is the price... dunno if the others solutions are simliar from features / future save
and would cost only 50%...

thx to all that can help

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Narfsort said:
hi guys,

now i searched around 2-3 hours in the www for "the best" modchip... i found alot and drilt down my list to around 5... from this point i cant decide which has the best price / performance and hope you guys could give me asome hints

first of all my favorit list:

- Wasabi DX (Don't got it so I don't comment)
- FlatMii (Don't got it so I don't comment)
- SunDrive (It's onboard flash support is not what you expect)
- WiiKey Fusion (Missing a few features that it said it could do)
- Wode JukeBox (Does what it says it does but becomes a permanent part of the wii)

importend points for me are:

- compatible with the newest wii-drive + newest wii firmware (Never a guarantee period, expecting it to be so is UNREALISTIC.)
- can start/play ALL games out there (from backup disc OR hdd/usb/sd) (hardmodding, your only guarenteed only existing titles and future tiles with same protection)
- future save concept (easy update and so on) (It is different for each, normally if it has external media support you flash that way.)
- price (the more features it going to have, of course it is going to get more expensive)

currently i like the wode idea but also the sunDrive sounds not bad as some kind of "new modchip concepts" problem here is the price... dunno if the others solutions are simliar from features / future save
and would cost only 50%...

thx to all that can help

There isn't a best modchip answer, that type of question only draws fanboy type answers. ALWAYS write down what you want a modchip to do and compare it to what modchips have what, the more that match your wanted feature list will be higher on your list of modchips to get. Then come back and ask the question of how does it currently compare to the list of features from other users to get an idea if it is what what you should get or not.

Notice how the ones I got are those with affordable and large storage systems.

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive got 2 wii's, ones chipped(drivekey) and ones brewed.......they both do the same thing except the chipped one was more of a pain because of having to open it up.

my opinion, unless you want gamecube usb loading I wouldnt waste the money, use it for a HDD.
just my 2 cents..

Narfsort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi,

thx for your comments!

i read only a long time ago about "wii hacking" and now i also found the "softmodes" some years ago there was no possibility to play backups without a mod chip so i thought i need one to play backups...

so what i read so far the softmod hack sounds like the best choise if you want max. feature for lowest money...

my main need is to simple get the current newst wii with the newest firmware to play max. number of games from backup...

so my first try will be the softmod... thx!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The best modchip would have the following features:
- Proper 001 solution: No 001 error on ANY game, not even when using a newer cIOS(rev19 for example)
- Integrated BCA solution, plays New Super Mario Bros without messing with system menu or its IOS(=maybe need to patch the BCA data into the disc before burning, but nothing trucha bug or IOS related)
- Proper gamecube audio streaming support

And then there's chips that read DVD-Rs and there's chips that read from usb, network or whatever. As far as i know the WODE does NOT have gamecube audio streaming support. And i'm not sure if the new drives are moddable, but until now all Wiis allow using all drives, so you can install an old drive in a new Wii.

Is there a chip that fullfils these 3 requirements? If not, then using a chip has no advantage over software only solutions. I'm not counting 6x speed on discs, because of the 10+ speed on usb.

WODElover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WODE allows USB on all wiis, even the brand new ones.
If the drive is d3-2 or D4, then backups via DVD wont work, but who cares, USB is the reason you get the WODE

A lot of people aren't interested in GC backups, and even if they are for a couple of games, not all games have Audio Streaming.

WODE is king in terms of modchips....
If Nintendo does an overhall of the system menu after e3, all softmodders are F**d
There ARE big advantages in not touching the Wii Nand!

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
GC from USB is the only advantage WODE has over Softmods.
So imho its understandable that people complain about the missing audio fix

WODElover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PsyBlade said:
GC from USB is the only advantage WODE has over Softmods.

You can read multiple HDDs at once, and the HDDS can be HPFS+, fat32, ntfs, ext3 or wbfs. wifi loading is coming to

but the biggest advantage is thet you don't need to softmod your console...which means you are safe to update etc.
and the game compatiblity is 100%, no tweaking like softmods.
Very lucky that SMG2 didnt have some new protection, maybe Nintendo has given up

Sooner or later firmware 5.0 will come out - and you will see gbaTemp go into a brick frenzy, then you will see the true power of the WODE

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WODElover said:
Sooner or later firmware 5.0 will come out - and you will see gbaTemp go into a brick frenzy, then you will see the true power of the WODE
I have yet to hear of one single User who bricked because of a simple Softmod.
Simple = bootmii, hbc ,ciso in slot 200+, some loader

only unnecessary or stupid things cause bricks or other problems
bad = downgrade sm, delete sm, delete sm iso, cios in solt 1-100 ...

ps if find that wifi part of wode quite ironic
-adapter sticking out of already unnecessary big & empty box
-only 1 type of wifi dongle supported
-release tba
running on an os exclusively designed to run on all kinds of WIFI-Routers

Narfsort

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hey guys want only to inform you that im really fine with the softmods...

got the modding done in 2 hours and all is running well... got only one problem with su access problems on deleting stub iso and couldnt transfere SSBB in the 8Gb version to my wbsf partion... DVD5 version works now...

so atm i dont see any reason to buy a mod chip... only for the next guy searching one
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E