Hacking Chipping a softmodded wii

ekipstonmai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I've had a softmodded wii for a couple of years now, it had the cioscorp on it and was loading backups from the game channel like an original game.
I tried to update the shopping and internet channel and everything went great, except that backup games no longer load from the game channel, I have to use the gamma channel.

I'm not too bothered about re softmodding it and messing about with updates, so my question is;

Can I remove my softmod (do I need to? and how) and fit a chip instead. Would that let games be loaded from the game channel again?

The wii is mostly played by my kids and the dont get on with the homebrew channel or gamma too well, they like to stick a game in and play.

TL;DR
Softmodded wii no longer plays backups from game channel, want to chip it instead.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
probably cIOSCorp got wiped out,try reinstalling 3.6 again,there's no point in chipping it,and if you were to,you don't need to get rid of the softmod

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How exactly did you "update the shop and internet channel"?
Whatever you did, it seems to have removed cIOSCORP somehow. Maybe you didn't have the newest version and it has simply overwritten it.

Just re-install it if you can.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the biggest misconceptions in the modding world is that 'chips are easier and less of a hassle than softmodding' this is plain & utter BS!!!!! Mod chips are only for the most advanced of users, and are DEFINITELY not for people who 'can't be bothered with updates' Modchips are updated far less frequently than the softmod firmware, resulting in low compatibility rate, and many require installing an entirely new chip just to update it to play the new games. Modchips only offer about 10% of the features softmod users have available to them, and anything you do with homebrew software requires your wii to be softmodded anyway. Simply put if you do anything that is not literally related to loading a backup disk through the disk channel with a modchip will require your wii to be softmodded. Also, the biggest deciding factor for me: softmod is free, where modchips are not.

ekipstonmai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lightyear said:
One of the biggest misconceptions in the modding world is that 'chips are easier and less of a hassle than softmodding' this is plain & utter BS!!!!! Mod chips are only for the most advanced of users, and are DEFINITELY not for people who 'can't be bothered with updates' Modchips are updated far less frequently than the softmod firmware, resulting in low compatibility rate, and many require installing an entirely new chip just to update it to play the new games. Modchips only offer about 10% of the features softmod users have available to them, and anything you do with homebrew software requires your wii to be softmodded anyway. Simply put if you do anything that is not literally related to loading a backup disk through the disk channel with a modchip will require your wii to be softmodded. Also, the biggest deciding factor for me: softmod is free, where modchips are not.

Hi, thanks for the quick replies.

Maybe I worded my original post a little off, I didnt say I cant be bothered with updates, I said I'm not too bothered with updates, I've had my softmodded wii for a few years now and kept it up to date with most of the latest softmods going, hence the updating of the shopping channel, what I meant was I'm not fussed with messing with it anymore, its been relegated to the family room and its really only the kids that play on it now, so if a chip would be a quick fix the disc channel loading problem great, if not I'll re softmod it, if anyone could help me out with the re-softmod all the better.

tj_cool said:
How exactly did you "update the shop and internet channel"?
Whatever you did, it seems to have removed cIOSCORP somehow. Maybe you didn't have the newest version and it has simply overwritten it.

Just re-install it if you can.

I used the update wad file, I think from this site, but not 100%

QUOTE(lolzed @ Feb 8 2010, 10:00 AM)
probably cIOSCorp got wiped out,try reinstalling 3.6 again,there's no point in chipping it,and if you were to,you don't need to get rid of the softmod

Tried doing that, and no joy, I was on 3.5 so I uninstalled that and installed 3.6

I'm using cIOS 38 rev17
and
cIOSCORP v3.6

If you need anymore info just say.

Dispel

Trophies
XP
Country
if you have a properly installed cIOSCORP 3.6 there's no reason for it not load via disc channel .. maybe compatibility in cIOSCORP is a little worse then neogamma/USB loaders, but it should still load the majority

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you're one 4.2?If you just updated the shop channel you could install the SM(4.1 or 4.2 pick) and IOS 70(or 60 for 4.1) and try again

ekipstonmai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lolzed said:
you're one 4.2?If you just updated the shop channel you could install the SM(4.1 or 4.2 pick) and IOS 70(or 60 for 4.1) and try again

I think I installed ios 60 (is that the one that says do not uninstall ever?)

So it looks like I'm re-softmodding then?

What's the best route to take? wipe everything and start again or check what versions are on there and update / add to?

Really appreciating the help, especially as the kids break up from school next week and will be pestering for NSMB
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.