Chipping a softmodded wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ekipstonmai, Feb 8, 2010.

Feb 8, 2010

Chipping a softmodded wii by ekipstonmai at 9:59 AM (1,061 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ekipstonmai
    OP

Newcomer ekipstonmai Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, I've had a softmodded wii for a couple of years now, it had the cioscorp on it and was loading backups from the game channel like an original game.
    I tried to update the shopping and internet channel and everything went great, except that backup games no longer load from the game channel, I have to use the gamma channel.

I'm not too bothered about re softmodding it and messing about with updates, so my question is;

Can I remove my softmod (do I need to? and how) and fit a chip instead. Would that let games be loaded from the game channel again?

The wii is mostly played by my kids and the dont get on with the homebrew channel or gamma too well, they like to stick a game in and play.

TL;DR
    Softmodded wii no longer plays backups from game channel, want to chip it instead.

2. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    probably cIOSCorp got wiped out,try reinstalling 3.6 again,there's no point in chipping it,and if you were to,you don't need to get rid of the softmod

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    How exactly did you "update the shop and internet channel"?
    Whatever you did, it seems to have removed cIOSCORP somehow. Maybe you didn't have the newest version and it has simply overwritten it.

Just re-install it if you can.

4. lightyear

Member lightyear GBAtemp Regular

United States
    One of the biggest misconceptions in the modding world is that 'chips are easier and less of a hassle than softmodding' this is plain & utter BS!!!!! Mod chips are only for the most advanced of users, and are DEFINITELY not for people who 'can't be bothered with updates' Modchips are updated far less frequently than the softmod firmware, resulting in low compatibility rate, and many require installing an entirely new chip just to update it to play the new games. Modchips only offer about 10% of the features softmod users have available to them, and anything you do with homebrew software requires your wii to be softmodded anyway. Simply put if you do anything that is not literally related to loading a backup disk through the disk channel with a modchip will require your wii to be softmodded. Also, the biggest deciding factor for me: softmod is free, where modchips are not.

5. ekipstonmai
    OP

United Kingdom
    Tried doing that, and no joy, I was on 3.5 so I uninstalled that and installed 3.6

I'm using cIOS 38 rev17
    and
    cIOSCORP v3.6

If you need anymore info just say.

6. ekipstonmai
    OP

United Kingdom
    Just a little bump

7. Dispel

Member Dispel GBAtemp Regular

Latvia
    if you have a properly installed cIOSCORP 3.6 there's no reason for it not load via disc channel .. maybe compatibility in cIOSCORP is a little worse then neogamma/USB loaders, but it should still load the majority

8. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    you're one 4.2?If you just updated the shop channel you could install the SM(4.1 or 4.2 pick) and IOS 70(or 60 for 4.1) and try again

9. ekipstonmai
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think I installed ios 60 (is that the one that says do not uninstall ever?)

So it looks like I'm re-softmodding then?

What's the best route to take? wipe everything and start again or check what versions are on there and update / add to?

Really appreciating the help, especially as the kids break up from school next week and will be pestering for NSMB [​IMG]