Charging Myths

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Talaria, Feb 13, 2008.

Feb 13, 2008

Charging Myths by Talaria at 2:22 AM (765 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Talaria
    OP

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    I am about to buy a new cellphone and have heard numerous myths about how to charge it so you get the maximum battery life for your phone. So Im abit perplexed to whether there is any basis behind them. The most common one I hear is;

Charge the battery for about 24hrs for the first time and then let the battery go completely dead and then recharge it over the course of the first few weeks of using the new phone to get the optimum battery life.

I asked the store where I'm getting it from for a reasonable price but they don't know jack what there talking about, suggestions?

2. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

most cellphone batts are lithium-ion-polymer.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    That statement is false, unless you're talking stone age Lithiums. Today, Lithiums have voltage meters that cut off attempts to overcharge.

Also, letting the battery drop dead does nothing significant anymore. That would be called a deep-discharge cycle, but again, technology in the battery prevents you from doing a deep discharge.

However, keeping it at full charge all the time isn't good for the battery. Just use it, and recharge as needed. Its a cellphone, you could always get a new battery if you absolutely have to. I've never needed to replace a cellphone battery.

4. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    ah, oh well [​IMG]

my bad. but still, i experienced that if i leave my cellphone charging too long it gets warm and i dont think thats a good sign.