• Views 2,633
  • Replies 26

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I too am using Linux Mint.

I like Ubuntu but Ubuntu like to experiment with things too much imo with things.

Linux is always the same style (UI) but improving with every release, with the feel of Windows 7.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux is always the same style (UI) but improving with every release, with the feel of Windows 7.

Not true, there are multiple different desktop environments available. One of the best things about Linux is how you can customize the look and feel of it. On an Xbox I used to use XFCE, on another computer I used to use KDE and it was quite similar to Windows, and on my development box right now I use Gnome in combination with Cairo-Dock. My desktop environment is kinda similar to a Mac now. And Ubuntu used to have their Unity environment, which was totally different.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1. Linux Mint
2. Manjaro
3. Pop! OS

Linux Mint is great for beginners. Has a decent community and is simple to learn. Updates are safe.

Manjaro is my personal favorite. It's Arch Linux, but simpler. It's still rolling release or bleeding edge. So, updates have the potential (very, very slim) to ruin something, somewhere. I'm more a fan of the Arch system than Debian.

Pop! OS is based on Ubuntu, has all the drivers you need, and is safe and sleek. The community is growing, but pretty healthy as is.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not true, there are multiple different desktop environments available. One of the best things about Linux is how you can customize the look and feel of it. On an Xbox I used to use XFCE, on another computer I used to use KDE and it was quite similar to Windows, and on my development box right now I use Gnome in combination with Cairo-Dock. My desktop environment is kinda similar to a Mac now. And Ubuntu used to have their Unity environment, which was totally different.
Gnome is also a favorite of mine. Doesn't feel as crowded as KDE. XFCE is a great, lightweight DE that works well enough.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

i was thinking about linux mint cinnamon. the one i use, and the one i think many people use.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to remember is that different distros can have different compatibility.

Linux Mint is my go to along side CentOS (with the Cinnamon UI) because Linux Mint has a good ootb experience but also has given me problems in the past e.g. Oracle and compiling some C samples.

For me, Linux on a desktop is not ‘better’ but I have it as a backup and for the odd tasks I can’t do on windows e.g. when I was rooting some Fire 7s it had to be in Linux.

Really, pick your OS based on your needs and preferences.

My server however does run the Linux based UnRAID which was previously running Windows Server as I preferred UnRAID’s parity compared to the more limited Windows storage spaces.

Reactions: Flame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8