Change Coming to Super Smash Bros. Wii U, 3DS

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Apr 26, 2012.

Apr 26, 2012
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. series has grown astronomically since it first debuted over a decade ago. Now considered one of the publisher's flagship franchises, the manic fighting series has more than quadrupled its playable roster, introduced characters from third party companies, featured a stage editor and even a robust, story-driven single-player campaign. Its latest installment, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is figuratively bursting at the seams with content. What, then, could franchise creator Masahiro Sakurai possibly do with the Wii U and 3DS versions?

"As you noted, there is a certain dead end we come to if we just expand the volume of the game," Sakurai told me in a recent e-mail interview, clearly recognizing that simply adding more characters, items and stages wouldn't be enough. The Smash Bros. franchise, though repeatedly earning high praise from critics over its three entries, has effectively followed the same formula since its inception, evolving its style of play without shaking things up too much. So if merely expanding the idea isn't the only thing on Sakurai's mind... what is?
    "I intend to change direction a little as we go," Sakurai said, indicating his desire to possbily find a new mechanic or idea to drive two new entries in the series. "The key to that's going to be its dual support for 3DS/Wii U."

Sakurai, as well as Nintendo global president Satoru Iwata, had previously acknowledged his interest in linking the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, which were announced simultaneously at E3 2011. "I'm really just getting started on this so it's going to take time, but I'll come up with something that uses that link as the game's central axis, so I hope you're looking forward to it."

http://uk.ds.ign.com.../1223789p1.html

2. X_XSlashX_X

Member X_XSlashX_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wonder what they could do to change the gameplay of the next Smash Bros. I can't see them adding any kind of deep combo system or anything. Though the linking between the 2 sounds promising.

3. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Hum... Chances can either be extremely good, or just bad... I hope it's the first tho. =3

4. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I spent 100 dollars on Brawl and it's the only game I didn't mind that had the shitty Australian Price Tag. I honestly think they can only go up from Brawl.

5. PyroSpark

Member PyroSpark GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As long as they don't take away characters. >_>

2 people like this.
  6. X_XSlashX_X

United States
    I don't know if Brawl was worth 100 dollars. But hey if your happy then there's no problems (:

7. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    tag team action?

you pick 2 chars. and can switch on the fly (but they share the % you get)

tag team super move
    the right team, can use a tag team super smash

1 person likes this.
  8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    That's exactly how at least MvC3 works.

It was, Brawl rocked. Whether it was worth me buying the console though, I may still regret that.

I bought a Wii for Brawl but I doubt I'll be making the same mistake. Hell I doubt I'll be buying another Nintendo home console. I may buy the 3DS eventually but that's only when I can get it for like under $100.

9. Fyrus

Member Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

France
    I wonder if they're gonna add more planes to fight, or switch to 3D entirely...

10. X_XSlashX_X

United States
    I can't see them doing that. The charm of Super Smash Bros is it's 2.5D style. Now maybe fighting in perhaps the background that could shake things up a bit like they did in DKCR with the whole interactive backgrounds and stuff.

11. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    But everything in Australia is 100 dollars.

12. KinGamer7

Member KinGamer7 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I loved Brawl, but the fact that Sakurai actively discouraged competitive play through deliberate mechanical changes was disheartening. Hopefully he can work his way up from Melee's gameplay instead; after playing Kid Icarus Uprising, I have faith in whatever ideas he has to implement.

13. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Agreed, Kid Icarus doesn't let up by allowing players to suddenly trip or something, even players who may be at a slight weapons disadvantage are less of a burden when defeated in Light vs Dark.
    He will probably continue to investigate a theme of Risk and Reward as he often does, but any changes to the gameplay I imagine, wouldn't be much different from including Smash Balls and Final Smashes.

14. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    It sounds like he wants you to buy a Wii U...

Oh wait, he does.

15. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it aint broke don't fix it

16. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    They could just add a separate line of fighting like Bleach: Dark Souls had.

17. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I thought that Smash Bros. 3DS was cancelled.

I always wanted a portable Smash Bros, but the 3DS is not the right platform. Smash Bros requires an actual analog stick.

18. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Well, you still have Wii U version for better controls and what's wrong with having portable version? What good use is an analog stick over circle pad on smash bros? Wii U doesn't support analog sticks either, suppose that makes it a bad platform too.

Ah, where do you hear such stuff? Nothing's ever suggested it to be canned.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I REALLY would like to see the next smash bros have a full 3D plane of movement as a option. I mean, look at KI or Dysidia. Destructive environments, amazing movement tactics, dynamic dodging. Now, I wouldn't say theu should scrap the 2.5D method either. Maybe put 2.5D on the 3DS and Full 3D on the WiiU? Or just put the option for either in both modes. You would also be able to use every character, item and move in both. They would just act differently. Something like that would be awesome.

20. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    looks like nobody understood the article.

Sakurai wants the game to be cross-platform between the WiiU and the 3DS. however, how he intends to do that is beyond me. i hope it's not like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles where the Wii version was practically just an upgraded DS game. it even had dual screens.

i won't be surprised though if Sakurai decides to go birds-eye view on WiiU and third-person (like Kid Icarus) on the 3DS. hell, it's even possible that they'll make it so that when a WiiU hosts locally, 3DS players can join in using their 3DS as a wireless controller/viewport. Birds-eye view certainly means full 3D arenas, and that should be fun.

EDIT: also, the 3DS' circle pad works perfectly well enough. i don't see how a stick would make any difference in input versus a sliding pad, only in feedback (and probably resistance).

1 person likes this.