Hacking Homebrew CFW 3DS is no longer powering on

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 10.3 the last time it was working.
Then you're on b9s (not a9lh). Also, the updating of b9s that you were doing won't help in your situation.
You can't access either Luma3DS menu (holding select on boot), or GodMode9 (holding start) i take it?

DocOmiely

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then you're on b9s (not a9lh). Also, the updating of b9s that you were doing won't help in your situation.
You can't access either Luma3DS menu (holding select on boot), or GodMode9 (holding start) i take it?
no, the blue light just turns on and fades out every time. I also tried safe mode to no avail.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Something new came up. I followed the steps to install B9S which went well up until the end where the 3ds now does this.
So… SafeB9SInstaller as boot file got accepted. That's strange! Having now latest B9S, the color of the notification LED will allow further narrowing down the issue.
See here for the colors: https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/releases/tag/1.4

I used a program to read both sd cards and make absolutely sure that nothing was wrong and they both ended up being fine. I am using an sd card reader since my pc case doesnt come with a slot. That couldnt be the issue could it?
Unlikely the PC hardware is to blame.

DocOmiely

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems like both sd firm and ctrnand are both corrupt. What would you recommend?
Try a different FIRM. Rename GodMode9.firm to boot.firm and try booting it. After all SafeB9SInstaller got loaded as well.
I don't understand this. Really strange.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really cant explain it, but its now unbricked. Thanks alot for the help
Wait a moment, please.
Something seems to be fishy there 🐟.

Some FIRM getting accepted and another not isn't normal. There might be an issue with the console SD reader after all, like contact problems. That could also explain the frequent crashes as well. Replacing the reader might become necessary.

Reactions: CoolMe

DocOmiely

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a moment, please.

Some FIRM getting accepted and another not isn't normal. There might be an issue with the console SD reader after all, like contact problems. That could also explain the frequent crashes as well. Replacing the reader might become necessary.
Ah, that doesnt sound good. So how would I go about replacing it?

Last edited by DocOmiely,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a moment, please.

Indeed, the fading blue light is most of the time an indication of a failing sd card reader, along with the iffy boot chances..
Ah, that doesnt sound good. So how would I go about replacing it?
Read my first reply and click on the link if you have an old 3ds. Also make sure to get one (sd card reader replacement) that is designed for your system. Though first you can just try and unplug/plug it again and see if it makes any difference, otherwise you need to get a new one.

Reactions: DocOmiely

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used sthetix's video to install cfw.

I used a program to read both sd cards and make absolutely sure that nothing was wrong and they both ended up being fine. I am using an sd card reader since my pc case doesnt come with a slot. That couldnt be the issue could it?
Post automatically merged:

Something new came up. I followed the steps to install B9S which went well up until the end where the 3ds now does this.
Just for future reference. Never follow video guides. They tend to be incorrect and become outdated within days. For 3ds info I suggest 3ds.hacks.guide

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fwiw this exact kind of behavior also occurs when the FCRAM is bad since b9s uses FCRAM as buffer to store the FIRM file. This usually causes some FIRMs to work (usually smaller ones) but not others.
That sounds really bad. Where did you get this from? I've never heard of this before.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is what I feared. The omnipresent Discord-:shit: that isn't publicly visible on the internet.
How were I supposed to know this when it is hidden behind some proprietary garbage platform that requires signing up for just reading?

Something like this always ends with "go to the Blablabla-Discord!" How about "No!"?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E