1. SaulFabre

SaulFabre Wii scene/hacking & Wii VC well-known guy

Ecuador
    Oh OK, maybe for a next PC i will choose a AMD Ryzen processor (or a Intel Core i7 if i can't find an AMD), a NVIDIA Ultra HD Graphics card (maybe a GeForce GTX or RTX), 16 or 32 GB of RAM, Windows 10 OS of x64 bits and 1 TB of storage... :)

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  2. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Fan

France
    I feel like Vulkan is just superior tbh, even if I have an nvidia card. Everytime I have the opportunity to chose Vulkan over anything else, I do and it works very well. iirc it also allows for games to run on Linux or it is something else ?

Sophie-bear and Silent_Gunner like this.
  3. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Vulkan is OS agnostic yes. Said graphics driver/hardware compatibility just has to be able to interpret Vulkan on whatever target device it is.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    My Intel CPU runs perfectly fine and never had it get hot, so...

5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    So basically OPENGL is good for both AMD and NVIDIA hardware, D3D9 is good for NVIDIA hardware and VULKAN is good for AMD hardware? :unsure:

Even though NVIDIA can use Vulkan and AMD can use D3D9, it won't be as good because it wasn't initially designed for it?

Just curious, which ones do you use for your emulators? :ninja:

6. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    Yep! Thanks to DXVK being used in Lutris and I think Steam Proton, you can use play more games you normally couldn't by using a method that takes DirectX code and converts it to Vulkan in real time as far as my understanding's concerned.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ah, OGL doesn't get as good support from AMD video cards as it does Nvidia. Case in point: PCSX2 OGL on an Nvidia card vs. an AMD card.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  7. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I personally like using Vulkan when given the option, but its not available on all platforms sometimes, or is not as stable on some platforms. On a PC, id pick vulkan regardless.

I don't want to get into specifics about graphics API because what's faster depends on the task at hand. For instance with older API's (openGL, DX9, early DX11 titles) Nvidia runs better because its software based scheduler allows it to thread better thus extracting more performance. AMD cards are designed in particular for newer APIs, so it tends to do better when running DX12/Vulkan and such. AMD's openGL implementation specifically sucks in windows (but is better in linux). Nvidia cards start to fall off when running newer API's and the CPU is loaded heavily, because it has no hardware based scheduler, so at times there is a performance loss when switching to Nvidia when you pair it with a reletively speaking slower CPU.

just to be clear, this is a windows only situation. AMD open source mesa driver's OpenGL performance in linux is way better. Basically if you are running any other OS for gaming thats not windows, AMD is more prefered (as hackintoches have AMD drivers, and open source mesa drivers have way better support than the closed source linux drivers)

Last edited by GBADWB, Apr 14, 2021
    Silent_Gunner likes this.
  8. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Crazy Cool Cyclops

United States
    How are the open source drivers for AMD's video cards in general on Linux vs. Nvidia's closed source drivers for their video cards? Because it isn't exactly a secret that people have been trying to write open source software to interface with Nvidia's graphics cards, and with Nvidia being so uncooperative in that regard that the open source driver's performance is dwarfed by Nvidia's official drivers for Linux, and with Linus Torvalds literally giving them the finger at a convention years ago! XD

9. kisamesama

kisamesama GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I remember too... the dev said there won't be any gain implementing vulkan...At that time I had an AMD GPU... I since switched to nvidia and bought a nintendo switch and wii u....

mrcroket likes this.
  10. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu DS Pokémon Fan

Australia
    Fixed your post for ya, mate; figured that was a typo.

11. Badda

Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    I always wondered why they don't just use DirectX. Version 12 has a huge performance benefit vs. Vulcan (up to 12% on Nvidia) and portability is not an issue either because Cemu is only available for Windows anyways ...

12. MuperMumpjanSario

MuperMumpjanSario Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    [citation needed]

13. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.

United Kingdom
    Both Vulkan and Opengl are graphics api's. Programmers use these apis to tell the gpu how to do graphics. Without apis you'd have to program graphics for every single different gpu. Vulkan is more modern and performs better than Opengl (mainly on amd which the driver (the driver helps the gpu understand api calls) wasn't very good at Opengl.

14. Badda

Badda Nu Member

Tokelau
    Google "directx vs vulkan"

15. tfocosta

tfocosta GBAtemp Z-Warrior

Canada
    Cool! This is a great update! :D

16. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    generally less fussy to deal with. unrelated to gaming though, if you try to use nvidias cards for programming work, depending on the dependencies, the driver can get very fussy with the installation about which driver you use with what kind of programming environment. I've had witness myself borked linux installs because the drivers at times can be a nightmare for development work. Performance wise, nvidia cards can still be good, but if there's something that can get fixed, the open source nature of the MESA drivers gets it done in a timely matter.

Scott_pilgrim and Silent_Gunner like this.
  17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina

18. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    Nice to see some progress but my PC is heavily bottlenecked now that I have a new GPU in it lol.
    It's a PC with a Intel i5 4460 CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GTX 1660 Super.
    Only my GPU is good and I used to run a GTX 750Ti in it.

Also I'm far from a tech guy but I'm glad it fucking works for my needs haha.

19. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu DS Pokémon Fan

Australia
    Who'd wanna play that disappointing, lacklustre departure from the norm? Nah, Twilight Princess HD and The Wind Waker HD are where it's at, for the Wii U.

20. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I prefer the originals. Twilight Princess HD has the same problems that the crappy Wii port and Wind Waker only looks okay for me at least, in CRT TVs.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - emulator, publicly, released