.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
k, anyone who knows indie games knows Cave Story, being as its pretty much the pinacle of indie gaming atleast when it comes to platformers/adventures.

well, a big fan and great coder started to remake it on GBA a while ago, the creator of the original Cave Story - "Pixel" noticed his work and was impressed, and gave him the source code so he could stop guessing on how things worked, and after the GBA restricting him from doing a few things he's moved it to the DS (fuck yeah)

he's already released two DS demos, both are .nds's and work fine with the R4 (all I have
tongue.gif
)

~​

map test with a couple areas, lots of the music (L and R to scroll through) and select switches the palette to better suit users who still have regular DS's

~​

graveyard area test with some enemies hopping around, lots of the music (L and R to scroll through) and select switches the palette to better suit users who still have regular DS's

~​

you can find the demos and older GBA demos here

~​

and stay tuned to the Cave Story LJ Community for future progress, Ive talked to the dude making them and hes a pretty cool guy, I really cant wait till he finishes it, or even for the next demo, coz cave story is one of the greatest games ever, I played through it about 20 times, and I really want to again- but I think I'll hold off and let my excitement build up for the DS version

however, if you haven't played the original, there's no excuse, if you call yourself a gamer you have to play it
http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If the guy finish it (unlike all the indie projects , this one doesn't have a lot or maybe even no copyright protection) this port would be awsome, can't wait for the full version , the Pc version kick serious ass , anyone who like games like recent castlevania or metroids , they need to give the game a try.

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
ah Im sure he'll finish it, he did a hell of a lot without the source code on the GBA which wouldve been very limiting and frustrating

now he's doing it on DS it will be a cakewalk

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
never hear dof it, thanks taka ill check it out now, the DS version should be good then, this should make the Homebrew section when it's done so i dont miss out.
biggrin.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I haven't got the patience to play this game on the PC but maybe I'll be able to get into it on the DS.
smile.gif
I say make it high quality and burn it on a few hundred unlicensed cards to sell it online!
cool.gif

.TakaM

.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
CS:DS, now with NPCs(a.k.a. "Quote Visits The Petting Zoo" ;P)

Enjoy! Very sorry it took so long to get this far, but actually between this demo and the last one I completely rewrote the entire graphics engine from scratch; the whole damn thing runs on the 3D hardware now. (Except the far backgrounds, anyway.) But it should look the same; this way just lets me use way more of Pixel's original DirectX code without needing to adapt anything for the DS's 2D core.

Anyway, major things we're still missing: HP, guns, SFX, and scripts! I was tempted to add guns, but rather than open that can of worms I just released it as-is, they'll be in the next one ;P Event scripts are a biggie, of course. Everything else is pretty minor and just needs to be implemented...

Anyway, enjoy!
smile.gif
Lemme know if there are problems.. (If anyone can put their finger on why my .NDS icons work on some hardware but not others, please do..)

Oh, and if this demo seems to run slower than previous ones -- you're right, because the old ones were running too fast
wink.gif
gigahedgehog caught that... turns out Cave Story runs (graphics AND logic!) 50 times per second, not 60. Feel a little embarrassed that I didn't catch that myself, but hey, that's what you guys are here for ;D

So yes!
smile.gif
Enjoy
smile.gif

edit: Now edited with screenshotty goodness!
cs_cemet_1.gif
cs_eggs_1.gif
cs_grass_1.gif

cs_oside_1.gif
cs_plantation_1.gif
I apologize for the tearing in some of them, that's an emulator bug still. But it's a lot closer to playable in an emulator, so yaaaay.
smile.gif
grog.gif

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Eswar21297 said:
I hope this get's finished soon, then everyone without a DSi can play Cave Story!

Yaaaaaay!

Also I hope this ain't cancelled.

It IS canceled since a while (2007).

If you really want to play this game on ds you can:

1-If you own a DSi, buy the DSiWare version.
2-hope for a DS port of NXEngine which is an open source cave story engine.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone wanting to play this on a handheld should grab either a Wiz or Caanoo (or Pandora), as the officially-sanctioned-by-pixel GP2X port runs fine on those machines. Playing it on the Pandora's controls is just heavenly.

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu +1