Cat Lovers Deserve To Die. According to....

yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Picture-315.png

Yes, this is real.

Holy shit what an awful ad campaign. I saw this shocking ad on a bus stop on a busy street. Can you imagine how many people see this ad driving by without any context ? Driving by you can clearly read the offensive part and see a woman, but the blurb of text is obviously unreadable going 30-40 mph. Here is some copy pasta from a good analysis:

All PR is not good PR. Marketing professor Ken Wong from Queens University summed it up best when he said, “Nobody’s talking about the plight of cancer patients. Everybody is just talking about how offensive the ad is.” Well, I guess it could be considered good PR for a previously little-known advertising agency. Wait, what were they called again?

END OF COPY PASTA
from http://ihavecat.com/...nd-crazy-aunts/

Now the message behind this incredibly incendiary campaign is actually extremely important: lung cancer research gets the short end of the stick, and lung cancer patients are often stigmatized due to the fact that it's often caused by smokers (which is certainly true,) but non-smokers can certainly be cancer patients as well. Either way, it's a fight worth fighting. But for God's sake LCA, have some taste.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i don't get the message?

the unreadable text is this right?
IF THEY HAVE LUNG CANCER. Many people believe that if you have lung cancer you did something to deserve it. It sounds absurd but it's true. Lung cancer doesn't discriminate and neither should you. Help put an end to the stigma and disease.

btw i came in here planning to rage.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not even the "explanation" makes any sense.

Many people believe that if you have lung cancer you did something to deserve it

LOLWTF. No, they don't think you deserve it. If you have lung cancer and some you know says that you deserve it, they shouldn't be able to be within 100 meters of you.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I smell photoshop!

EDIT: sorry i didnt check the source.
OH ihavecats.com. really? really?

gallery_109594_291_17646.jpeg

Did anybody else notice the jar says "Cok"?

This advertisement needs to be removed from all city streets and billboards. What a pathetic way to try to "advertise" something.

Edited to quote the word advertise. Because that doesn't even seem to be the correct word to use. This isn't advertising anything.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why should it matter who 'deserves' to die? We'll all die anyway, whether we deserve to or not.

This is just more shock advertising.

PS

Cats suck hairy... um, hairballs. Yeerk.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Y'know, as far as I know, cancer touches mostly those people who have a history of cancer in their family. Many genetic links were found and there is a huge degree of innate predisposition to the sickness.

According to latest studies (can't bother by whom, I heard it on the radio the other day) it takes 7 years of sitting within a smoked up room 24 hours a day to get lung cancer without any natural predisposition towards it, and to add insult to injury, some lung cancer patients never even smoked in their lives - they just had a high degree of lung cancer predisposition and lived in areas affected by large quantities of smog - it wasn't anything within their control.

The ad is misinformed, not just offensive.

Reactions: 4 people

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the ad campaign doesn't...work. "cat lovers deserve to die" because they can breath well around cats as apposed to people with chronic lung issues?

I don't get it...its in poor taste like a hair ball of ignorance yes I said it sue me! lol.

edit: after reading a few times as a whole message it would seem they're trying to say that one shouldn't discriminate people with lung cancer by assuming it's their fault or something.
By inserting "____ lovers need to die because they have lung cancer" I think they mean you shouldn't discriminate people with this type of cancer. I get it but it doesn't come across
very well and ends up failing as a result.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Y'know, as far as I know, cancer touches mostly those people who have a history of cancer in their family. Many genetic links were found and there is a huge degree of innate predisposition to the sickness.

According to latest studies (can't bother by whom, I heard it on the radio the other day) it takes 7 years of sitting within a smoked up room 24 hours a day to get lung cancer without any natural predisposition towards it, and to add insult to injury, some lung cancer patients never even smoked in their lives - they just had a high degree of lung cancer predisposition and lived in areas affected by large quantities of smog - it wasn't anything within their control.

The ad is misinformed, not just offensive.

You've misinterpreted the ad.

It's basically saying: "There's an idea that people with lung cancer did something to deserve it, but they didn't. The idea is untrue, but people believe it anyway. Help us stop the discrimination, go to [insert website here]."

So in truth, it's saying the same thing you're saying: "People with lung cancer didn't smoke or knowingly inhaled smoke or really do anything to get lung cancer. They just happened to be inflicted with it. Stop being idiots."

Course, the text is in really, really small print...

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.