Cat Lovers Deserve To Die. According to....

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Y'know, as far as I know, cancer touches mostly those people who have a history of cancer in their family. Many genetic links were found and there is a huge degree of innate predisposition to the sickness.

According to latest studies (can't bother by whom, I heard it on the radio the other day) it takes 7 years of sitting within a smoked up room 24 hours a day to get lung cancer without any natural predisposition towards it, and to add insult to injury, some lung cancer patients never even smoked in their lives - they just had a high degree of lung cancer predisposition and lived in areas affected by large quantities of smog - it wasn't anything within their control.

The ad is misinformed, not just offensive.

You've misinterpreted the ad.

It's basically saying: "There's an idea that people with lung cancer did something to deserve it, but they didn't. The idea is untrue, but people believe it anyway. Help us stop the discrimination, go to [insert website here]."

So in truth, it's saying the same thing you're saying: "People with lung cancer didn't smoke or knowingly inhaled smoke or really do anything to get lung cancer. They just happened to be inflicted with it. Stop being idiots."

Course, the text is in really, really small print...

yeah after reading it as one message(large and small text) I got it but don't think I would've gotten it if I passed by the ad quickly...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Y'know, as far as I know, cancer touches mostly those people who have a history of cancer in their family. Many genetic links were found and there is a huge degree of innate predisposition to the sickness.

According to latest studies (can't bother by whom, I heard it on the radio the other day) it takes 7 years of sitting within a smoked up room 24 hours a day to get lung cancer without any natural predisposition towards it, and to add insult to injury, some lung cancer patients never even smoked in their lives - they just had a high degree of lung cancer predisposition and lived in areas affected by large quantities of smog - it wasn't anything within their control.

It's basically saying: "There's an idea that people with lung cancer did something to deserve it, but they didn't. The idea is untrue, but people believe it anyway. Help us stop the discrimination, go to [insert website here]."

So in truth, it's saying the same thing you're saying: "People with lung cancer didn't smoke or knowingly inhaled smoke or really do anything to get lung cancer. They just happened to be inflicted with it. Stop being idiots."

yeah after reading it as one message(large and small text) I got it but don't think I would've gotten it if I passed by the ad quickly...
The small text is barely readable on the screen I used, so it sort of went by me. Now that I gave it a second look, you're right. I'll have to check out the website too, just to make sure that the ad isn't made by idiots.

All said and done, this is not the perfect way to convey the message. "Shocking" just remains "Shocking" unless your message is clear, and here, they used the smallest font they could for the "essence" of their campaign, when it should be in the spotlight.

Reactions: 1 person

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
they probably thought that by shocking people, people would question said ad and discuss it and what it meant.

which is happening now. well, me specifically, never bother to read ads. but reading something offensive to me, i'd ask what do they mean by that, go to where they are(website) and complain.. they got my attention.
i don't know though, how many will ask "why would you put up an ad like that?"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that they wanted something shocking to get our attention, but it seems that they've gone too far; everyone's far more focused on the promotion than the issue it's trying to promote.

Ad Campaigns like these deserve to die.

Reactions: 2 people

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The small text is barely readable on the screen I used, so it sort of went by me. Now that I gave it a second look, you're right. I'll have to check out the website too, just to make sure that the ad isn't made by idiots.

All said and done, this is not the perfect way to convey the message. "Shocking" just remains "Shocking" unless your message is clear, and here, they used the smallest font they could for the "essence" of their campaign, when it should be in the spotlight.

well on a certain level they've succeeded since we're talking about it but I also agree about the not reading the whole message initially.

edit: On a related note a new report has come out stating that female cat owners are more likely to take their own life.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57465725-10391704/female-cat-owners-may-have-higher-suicide-risk-due-to-feline-fecal-parasite/

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I don't see why they felt the need to discriminate to just one particular type of cat lover, to be honest!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really...