Gaming Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia Countdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Claws said:
Please buy this game. 2D Castlevania is on the endangered species list.

You just gave me all the incentive I need NOT to buy this game. Though I love the side-scrolling Castevania formula, I would like to see at least the characters and monsters become 3D. And they need to update their system and style for the backgrounds as well. That boxy, gothic thing is played...so, so played.

Did you see the 3D side scrolling crap they put on PSP? They're better off just updating the sprites, which actually capture better details and movement than poly's ever could in a side scroller.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd personally prefer if they keep the gothic style (after all it is a game with vampires & monsters) and keep it 2D but with all new sprites and backgrounds.

I'd love to see a more Japanese pastel look and better animation.

The game however does look like its an improvement with animation.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
Anyone who asks "when will it be dumped" will be slapped.

k?

When will it be *OWW!*

You see, I'm really looking forward to this but I've not completed the last two. Tried to get back into PoR and found I'd saved just before some enormous boss which killed me in about 2 seconds and turned it off again. Hopefully I can not suck so much at this one.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HeatMan Advance said:
Did you see the 3D side scrolling crap they put on PSP? They're better off just updating the sprites, which actually capture better details and movement than poly's ever could in a side scroller.

I disagree, and to me, NSMB is perhaps the perfect compromise for a side-scrolling game.

@ Hadrian: I see where you're coming from in that the game is obviously based around vampires, but perhaps they could give it a more survival-horror look and feel. Either way, though, the backgrounds from this game -- many of them, anyway -- are hard to distinguish from the previous two games. Everything's so tight and perfect; it was great the first time, pretty cool the second, but now it's old to me. I'd just like to see something fresh.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
irpacynot said:
HeatMan Advance said:

I disagree, and to me, NSMB is perhaps the perfect compromise for a side-scrolling game.

@ Hadrian: I see where you're coming from in that the game is obviously based around vampires, but perhaps they could give it a more survival-horror look and feel. Either way, though, the backgrounds from this game -- many of them, anyway -- are hard to distinguish from the previous two games. Everything's so tight and perfect; it was great the first time, pretty cool the second, but now it's old to me. I'd just like to see something fresh.

A survival horror look? This is Castlevania, not Resident Evil :wtf:. Waaaaaaay different setting..

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Because 2D just isn't suitable for fluid motion, right?

a25tx4.gif

sluggunnerwalkgc8.gif

zerocloakly2.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PuyoDead said:
Because 2D just isn't suitable for fluid motion, right?

a25tx4.gif

sluggunnerwalkgc8.gif

zerocloakly2.gif

What DS games are those from again?
rolleyes.gif

But no, they're not as fluid as what can be done with polygons.

Pintassilgo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
irpacynot said:
Would love to see all the sprites become 3D, keep the backgrounds 2D, but update them with some new artwork, rather than keep recycling that same gothic thing. Something more organic would be nice for a change.

Hummmmmmmmm...no

The anime look from the past games was horrible,killed the essence of the franchise

And I love this kind of graphics,2D with only special effects in 3D(like magic and stuff)

But I'm looking forward the new PS3/360 Castlevania,I hope It doesn't suck like the other 3D ones

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Castlevania DS was THE game that made me buy a DS phat after thinking about it for over a year, and to this day, the only original DS cart I own.
I played and finished every Castlevania games since 1986 Vampire Killer on the MSX.
I must admit it gets a little repetitive, especially because there is only so much you can do when you render Dracula's castle for the 300th time and try to make it look fresh.
2D is perfect for this kind of game and I've never seen a better and more fluid animation then those found in recent 2D Castlevania games ( since SOTN actually ).
2D sprites are so much better then their polygon counterparts especially true on a platform like the DS with a limited resolution, in fact 3D sprites on such a small a low resolution screen absolutely cannot compare to good old 2D animation, and that's a fact guys.
On a home console maybe polygons look better ( it would be actually very difficult to draw hundreds of frame animation in 2D on a big screen to suit modern game design ) but on an handled with such a low resolution you can still see some stunning 2D artwork.
And it's true that it would be boring to go to Wendy's and get the same meal every day, but it's also true that I get the same meal everytime I go to Wendy's but I only go there every once in a while, there are planty of options in between my Wendy's meals, just like when a new Castlevania comes out, it's not like I've been playing beautiful 2D side scrolling Gothic adventures all the time, but every year or two it's just about time to get back into it and enjoy such a master piece all over again.

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't been this anxious for a DS game since the Legend Of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass.

This will probably be my favourite DS game of all time, right next to it. Castlevania - Dawn Of Sorrow was an incredible DS experience (and the first Castlevania game I've experienced myself), and since then, I've been bringing myself up to date with all things 2D-castlevania.

I'm digging a lot the artstyle, a lot darker, broodier, and gothic-looking : befitting the general mood of the game.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Call me weeaboo, but the heavy Gothic style kept me away from the older Castlevania games. It was the watered-down anime style of Dawn of Sorrow that got me into the series as a whole. (That and more than a few recommendations, but the point still stands.)

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
But, European graphics looks better for Castlevania IMO, Symphony of The Night proves it, Alucard's european vampiric and royal image fits perfectly with the game, and the european music makes it even better, not mentioning the european style of the castle, everything is perfect with european style.

That, and I can't imagine what they did to Alucard in Dawn of Sorrow, how long does it tke for Alucard to learn Japanese and modern security system I wonder?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The japanese version has been reviewd by Famitsu:

Akumajou Dracula: Ubawareta Kokuin (Castlevania) (NDS, Konami): 7 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (30/40)

Hm, I think DoS and PoR received better reviews by them. I wonder what they like and dislike about OeE...

D

Deleted User

This game is looking nice =)

It gives me an urge to go and downloa... buy Castlevania for PSP
wink.gif

*does so*

Pintassilgo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SpaceJump said:
The japanese version has been reviewd by Famitsu:

Akumajou Dracula: Ubawareta Kokuin (Castlevania) (NDS, Konami): 7 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (30/40)

Hm, I think DoS and PoR received better reviews by them. I wonder what they like and dislike about OeE...

DoS received 33/40 and PoR 31/40...

But then I remeber that Famitsu gave 40/40 to Nintendogs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Stray coming to Switch, Dragon Quest remake, a roguelike sequel, new Mario Party, new roles in...