OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Dave Touretzky, a Research Professor in the Computer Science Department and the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition at Carnegie Mellon University, has challenged Sony's legal standing in the case against PS3 hackers and mirrored Geohot's site on the university's servers.

Here is a working mirror of Geohot.com with all the files and the private key, hosted by Carnegie Mellon's servers.

On top of that, there is also a mirror of Team failoverflow's github project page.

Quote:
Mirror of GeoHot's PS3 Jailbreak -- January 11, 2011

Our friends at Sony are having another bad day: i.e., doing something breathtakingly stupid, presumably because they don't know any better. This time they're suing George Hotz for publishing PS3 jailbreak information, as reported by EnGadget and Attack of the Fan Boy. Hotz's jailbreak allows PS3 owners to run the software of their choice on a machine they have legally purchased. His site is geohot.com.

Free speech (and free computing) rights exist only for those determined to exercise them. Trying to suppress those rights in the Internet age is like spitting in the wind.

We will help our friends at Sony understand this by mirroring the geohot jailbreak files at Carnegie Mellon.

GeoHot Mirror

Click here for usage instructions.

Note to Sony lawyers: No doubt you're eager to rack up another billable hour by sending legal threats to me and my university. Before you go down that unhappy road, check out what happened the last time a large corporation tried to stop the mirroring of technical information here: The Gallery of CSS Desycramblers. Have you learned anything in ten years?

David S. Touretzky
Research Professor of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Source

Now let's see them sue Carnegie Mellon University.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I want to find this professor and shake his hand...and then ask him how interested he would be to collaborate with me on some homebrew
biggrin.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
That's one nutty professor.

EDIT: if anyone edits that to say nutty professor, I will personally congratulate you on being so witty.

Do you see what I did there?

Also, that is an awesome thing that professor did. Go him!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't it be miraculously funny if Sony sue him, they get to court, and the professor reads fine print on one of his papers that he's using to defend himself, and he realizes he fucked up and goes "whoops."

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess this will finally tell us whether we can legally get away with hacks this day and age

This lawsuit means much more then just the future of ps3 homebrew....

Also professor unleashes his inner rebellious teenager ftw!

Necromanson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious what kind of grounds Sony feels they have to win this lawsuit. How can it be illegal to publish these keys? Is there a form you sign when you purchase a PS3 that says you won't reverse engineer your system or something?

Obviously not, so there is no reason why you couldn't hack into your own legally purchased system. So OBVIOUSLY there is no reason for Sony to sue. My only thought is that they feel they can strong arm the man until he caves in financially.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good to see people standing up for Geohot, especially someone as high-up as a university professor!
I managed to get the PUP, but don't we need to patch a firmware or something? I'm lost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit