Carnegie Mellon Professor Challenges Sony

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SifJar said:
He didn't say anything like that, he said "If you want your next console to be more secure, get in touch. It'd be nice to be on the other side for once". He didn't say it would happen again if he wasn't hired, or that it wouldn't happen if he was, just that it may be a bit less likely to happen if he was.
I went to look over things again and yes, you are right. It was worded well enough that even on this point sony is grasping at straws.

melkor42x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that he and the school are immune to being sued. I've seen and attended a bunch of Master thesis's that are about ways to break encryption and things of that nature. Universities are allowed to post Technical papers about these kinds of things. I believe they still have info about breaking DVD encryption on their servers. They can sue but it will get thrown out of court. Academic use.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sony VS Carneige Mellon
wink.gif

I'm sure the professor looked up the legal side before doing this, and/or asked his superiors.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
Basically, it's Technology versus Law. HAHA!

This professor knows that he's not going to be teaching for a long time right? He should E-mail his students about his unusual absence.

I think you should have a look around the Profs site. He definitely aint no biatch that Sony can try to intimidate into submission.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup Sony is making hackers determined to rip apart what little security is left on the PS3 and PSP. By Sony taking this course of action will make the future PS4 a prime target of every hacker in the world. Lets see how long it takes the PSP2 to get hacked after all this. Would have saved themselves a lot of heart ache and money if they just left other OS alone.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fireballo said:
Yup Sony is making hackers determined to rip apart what little security is left on the PS3 and PSP. By Sony taking this course of action will make the future PS4 a prime target of every hacker in the world. Lets see how long it takes the PSP2 to get hacked after all this. Would have saved themselves a lot of heart ache and money if they just left other OS alone.
Yeah, if I had the skill and knowledge, I'd do my very best to make sure I got in a nice lawsuit with Sony [/sarcasm]

IMO, it will put people off.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It'll put people off of releasing things not working on it. But the ever supportive scene can do that all by itself.

Oh it'll all be out there, but it won't get handed to anyone. People will have to dig.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
cwstjdenobs said:
It'll put people off of releasing things not working on it. But the ever supportive scene can do that all by itself.

Oh it'll all be out there, but it won't get handed to anyone. People will have to dig.

I doubt it. It's very easily to release something anonymously these days.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still doesn't mean they will release in at all a public manner even if they do. Even if they can. While it's true an hacker has got to hack, that's where any "obligation" ends. How much do you think people have what they haven't or even just won't share this gen? Shit loads man.

xdmario1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just had to call it "The Most Secure Gaming Console" and "Uncrackable". Now look what happened, Hackers FTW!
grog.gif
nayps3.gif

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Considering how not only did Sony have a rather poor security system but also sent haphazard ways to attampt to get him arrested, the site getting mirrored is rather what they deserve.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, straight after readin this I decided to set up a mirror of the keys so my site auto redirects to them, but really, my site is shit so I don't really expect any attention due to fact no one goes on it
biggrin.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Matthew said:
Lol, straight after readin this I decided to set up a mirror of the keys so my site auto redirects to them, but really, my site is shit so I don't really expect any attention due to fact no one goes on it
biggrin.gif
a re-direct is useless.
You need to grab all the html and put them on your server for it to be a mirror.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony need to just except the facts that their screwed an move on its not like there gonna loose any more money then they usually loose from the lack of PS3 sales. The biggest thing Sony will have to do if they want any hope of winning the case is to convince the courts and jury that a number is illegal which I can tell you right now will never fly.

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think sony's intention is more as a scare tactic, which has backfired because the people they are directing it at are willing to stand up for what they believe in despite sony being a corporate bully.

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I want to see bad things happen to all these people, especially George Hotz. Why? I want to see them suffer, for no other reason than for my amusement. I don't care about PS3 hacks anyway, because right when the PS3 was starting to get far better, the hackers came along and screwed it all up with their piracy crap. I guess there are still good games released for the PSP (uh.... I can name one: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, although I'm sure there are more....) but the only consoles currently worth hacking would be the Wii and DS, if you can even count the DS as "hacked", considering 99% of people just use flash cards, and not CFW of any kind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok then no