Hacking Capcom will now 'rent' their games - pirate proof?

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Also, people tend to forget that Phantasy Star Online 2 is already out for over a year on Switch (through cloud service). People are making this buzz just because it's a RE game. This is just like the iQue Nintendo consoles, it won't be for anybody outside the country that's being released.

Last edited by horokeusama,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

This should be interesting.The switch is pretty much in for a shit storm if this is true.3rd party devs making there games streamable on the switch secretly due to piracy is just too funny.I guess there will eventually be a switch mini after all which will be harder to hack then the models we have now.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's not how cloud streaming works... it's more like streaming the game from your PS4 to your Vita. None of the game's binary is downloaded, it's all executed and runs on the server.
I'm very well aware how cloud streaming works. Also how I said it, is also a possibility. It cache the most critical files and does the processing and loading from the switch at once.

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm very well aware how cloud streaming works. Also how I said it, is also a possibility. It cache the most critical files and does the processing and loading from the switch at once.

What critical files are you talking about? The video streaming is treated as a single thing. The best think it can do is some kind of algoritm to optimize the input upload and somehow predict the next fews inputs from the player to mitigate the latency. If it works for online fighting games, it could also work for single player games.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What critical files are you talking about? The video streaming is treated as a single thing. The best think it can do is some kind of algoritm to optimize the input upload and somehow predict the next fews inputs from the player to mitigate the latency. If it works for online fighting games, it could also work for single player games.
Maybe, we will see how well it works.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom has just announced that they will be selling RE7 on Switch through cloud streaming. Is this the beginning of the end for backup? It's the best method to defeat piracy. :unsure:
I really don't care, cause I won't buy it. And if Ace Attorney comes out with cloud streaming, who cares? I would've payed for that anyway.

senas8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How th heck did the wiiu pull it off .. I thought that was streaming from the console to the wiiu tablet... I dont remember any latency. Why does every other streaming service sucks compared to the wiiu?
If streaming services become as good as what the wiiu did.. I think the end is near for physical games .. which would be bad. On the plus side.. we could stream any high demand game to anything .. even a tv which would mean your next tv/ iPhone/ Android etc.. your console might just be a PlayStation 7 Xbox Nintendo app ..yeeks.. no thanks

Last edited by senas8,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How th heck did the wiiu pull it off .. I thought that was streaming from the console to the wiiu tablet... I dont remember any latency. Why does every other streaming service sucks compared to the wiiu?
If streaming services become as good as what the wiiu did.. I think the end is near for physical games .. which would be bad. On the plus side.. we could stream any high demand game to anything .. even a tv which would mean your next tv/ iPhone/ Android etc.. your console might just be a PlayStation 7 Xbox Nintendo app ..yeeks.. no thanks
local wifi streaming vs over the internet video stream, similar to if you go too far away from the wiiu the controls started to get a bit laggy

Last edited by gamesquest1,

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Why are you comparing the streaming of something that's being processed at less than 5 meters from your receiver device (in this case, the gamepad) with a game that's on a server in (probably) another city?

You will be playing (like, in videogame terms) a video. That's all. The processing machine (probably a PC) will be somewhere else. It's like watching your friends playing on twitch and telling them via telephone what buttons he should press.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see everybody bitching at Capcom for this but people seem to forget that Nintendo is allowing this. They could have easily said i don't want this on my platform so Nintendo is as much to blame for something like this then Capcom is if you want to start the blaming game.
me, on the other hand is not blaming anyone just to get that out of the way
Crapcom is such an easy target though
i am still pissed about their 3DS shenanigans
RE revelations sav files, canceling MML3

Last edited by weatMod,

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate Capcom. I decided not to buy MMX Collection for Switch since learning only half of the titles are on the game card and the other half, being the huge PS2 titles, have to be downloaded with a code. Fuck that shit!

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Whoever willingly pays money to access streamed content is a cuckold and deserves whatever pain it brings them. This will not go far on a console that doesn't have wireless functionality beyond Wi-Fi.

As long as Net Neutrality remains dead in America and our infrastructure is garbage compared to the rest of the developed world, streaming games won't be a viable business model here for the foreseeable future.
Game streaming has never been viable on a portable device, net neutrality is irrelevant to this type of content at this point and time. You can only hope that consumers will vote with their wallets when the detrimental effects of it being gone finally set in.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Nintendo's handhelds in particular haven't been known for the best wifi performance. Plus I imagine there will be input lag with such a service no matter how fast one's internet and wifi chipset happens to be. Especially if they are far away from the server that is hosting the game.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Client based games will defeat one of the selling point of the switch; its portability. I doubt this will be a thing. The 3ds also has a game like this, Dragon Quest X (also only for Japan) and that's about it.

That's also an MMO. You're forced to be online anyway, and since it's 3DS, it streams at an extremely low bitrate due to the low resolution. You could probably pull it off on very slow wifi.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
yeah if you don't have access to the files it would be extremely difficult, the only way you could realistically "pirate" a game that is only available via such a streaming platform you be either using stolen credit cards/game codes or maybe using tunneling software to share games with multiple people (assuming the platform has limits on the amount of devices allowed, and even then any accounts doing that could be banned if they share their account too much)....or some major hacking work to break into their servers and obtain a copy of the game from there, definitely not the most realistic things to do

movies etc can be pirated easily as its just a audio/visual medium that can always be copied no matter how hard they try to DRM it, short of some very strictly guarded exclusive viewings with xray machines etc to stop people taking cameras in

but yeah I think steaming exclusive games are going to be a good while off yet as it would cripple the potential sales to only the most determined people with great internet connections

Ok phew was wondering there for a minute .

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
It's pirate proof but also anti consumer. If I'm going to rent a game it better be under $5 like anything else, I don't care if it's for a week or until Capcom goes under.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm just kinda disappointed that RE 7 touched the Switch this way. Hope in the future we get a normal release. It's one of the games that I want to try out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@