Capcom announces Monster Hunter: World is the best-selling game in company history

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by WiiUBricker, Mar 5, 2018.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    mhwo.png

Capcom has issued a press release, boasting about how much of a success Monster Hunter: World has been so far for the company. With 7.5 million units sold worldwide, the game has become the fastest and best-selling game in Capcom's history. It was promoted worldwide and saw a simultaneous, global launch. The game is available for PS4 and Xbox One, with an exact PC release date still to be announced.

From the press release:

:arrow: Source

2. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    i played on psp and i own sequels on nintendo's consoles, but i've never got into this franchises, FORTUNATELY :)

SLiV3R likes this.
  3. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Traveling Circus Ringleader~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    And all it took was finally stepping away from their obtuse, archaic game design!

I think we'd all rather fight dinosaurs in the game than fight a dinosaur of a game.

4. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    They deserve it. They did a masterful job with this one, even if it is still a bit obtuse to someone who is new to the series. It seems to take a little bit more of an MMO approach but the matchmaking is a tad lacking.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Not too surprising really, they took a game where previous titles catered only to hardcore fans of the series, actually released it on more than one console, and made it generally playable for people who never played or never previously liked the Monster Hunter series.

I'm waiting for the PC release to play it myself, and from what I've read so are a ton of other people so the sales will just keep on pouring in.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, Mar 5, 2018
    Ryccardo likes this.
  6. hamohamo

hamohamo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2017
    i'm not crying. you're crying.

7. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Is the game really that good? I kept hearing bad stuff from a lot of gamers like bad framerates and other nitpicks.

8. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    Venezuela
    idk why this videogame is so simple and always the same maybe cuz i played it on wii ? :/

9. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's insane, their biggest seller and it's not even out on PC yet. Got someone to invest a bunch of money in Capcom stock before release too...it's the only stock that is continously rising instead of falling right now. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 5, 2018
  10. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    holy mother of...

11. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Never liked monster hunter and never bought one. I saw gameplay of Game grumps creating a character and instantly bought it for because of it. Really fun game honestly, wished I got interested in the other instalments though

12. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    And people were saying that the nintendo 3ds wasn't hindering the series.
    I don't like monster hunter, I find the gameplay clunky, but it was clear as day that the 3ds was hindering what they could achieve. Would capcom brought the series to the vita it would have been a diferent story and I bet that a game with almost the same polish of mh world would have come earlier.

Steena and sephurchin like this.
  13. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    i can see why the game feels noob friendly and i can actually read the text this time

14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    This is by far my favorite in the series. I've been playing since Freedom on the PSP, and I'm super thankful that Capcom didn't nose dive this series into the ground by trying something new. It comes as no surprise to me that this is their top grossing game. It's visually stunning, not too hard for newcomers, but also isn't an insult to seasoned players, and has yet to be boring. It's been a while since I've spent more than 60+ hours on a game and continue to put in more time, so it gets my approval.

Xzi likes this.
  15. DeadlyAnGeL91792

DeadlyAnGeL91792 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    United States
    The Usa
    We've come a long way from Ad hoc party boys.

16. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Still waiting for PC release to get it, not gonna buy a console just for one game, so I hope it comes out soon! Game looks great and there are only a couple things I've seen that I would dislike. Been playing MH since literally day 1 MH1 came out in Japan for the PS2, so I love this series!

To be honest, it annoys me when people constantly say that MH games before MHWorld are clunky or whatever, just because the game is about precision and proper planning/calculation it doesn't mean it's clunky. You can't be comparing MH to hack and slash games with no depth, it's COMPLETELY different and the only reason people find it clunky is because they assume it's hack and slash like action games usually are, when it's not.

17. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    I hope people happy that Megaman, Resident Evil and many other Capcom IP being ignore for the time to come.

18. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    What do you mean?

Last edited by fatsquirrel, Mar 6, 2018
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I got that that was what they were going for, still found all the older games clunky. Not yet played this but most that made the same charge and otherwise have similar tastes to me really like this one and state changes to that.

As I have said quite a few times in various places I wanted to like monster hunter and on paper it was almost everything I purport to enjoy in games (if you can make a case that I would not like crafting, exploration, thoughtful combat, giant monsters and co-op then I have no idea what posts of mine you have been reading). The resulting games though were far less than the sum of their parts and I really tried to get into them on multiple occasions in multiple ways.

No doubt there were some that went in thinking old school hack and slash* and dismissed it accordingly but it was certainly not all of them.

*though have you seen the trend in those games since about ninja gaiden on the original xbox or perhaps Devil May Cry? Timing, patience, planning/defence and anything but near infinite health with some button mashing is the order of the day in an awful lot of those games. Indeed nigh invincible demigod power fantasy might even the harder to come by side of that gameplay style these days if you chuck out the warriors conglomeration.

20. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Capcom have a bad habit of walking out when they see less money and let be honest, who can top this?

21. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    They have announced a new mainline megaman, *points at Resident Evil 7* and also one probably wants to see the stuff being done for Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition. They have a ways to go before they end up as beloved as PS2 era Atlus, or indeed 16 bit era Capcom, and certainly they have pursued profit to the detriment of their long term viability in the fairly recent past but they seem to have put down the crack pipe for a least a little while now.

I was kind of sad to see Dragon's Dogma online options going down but it had a decent run I guess.