Capcom announces Monster Hunter: World is the best-selling game in company history

mhwo.png

Capcom has issued a press release, boasting about how much of a success Monster Hunter: World has been so far for the company. With 7.5 million units sold worldwide, the game has become the fastest and best-selling game in Capcom's history. It was promoted worldwide and saw a simultaneous, global launch. The game is available for PS4 and Xbox One, with an exact PC release date still to be announced.

From the press release:

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One*1 has shipped 7.5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales). A PC version is to be released at a later date.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first Monster Hunter title made its debut 14 years ago in 2004, the series has attracted a dedicated fan base, and overall grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 48 million units worldwide as of March 5, 2018.

Monster Hunter: World is the latest entry in the series, and the first new Monster Hunter title for home consoles in nine years. It is also the first title in the series to be given a global simultaneous launch, and was given an ambitious worldwide promotional campaign in order to further build upon its fan base both in Japan and in markets overseas. As a result, Monster Hunter: World has overcome both linguistic and cultural barriers to delight approximately 7 million players worldwide, and has shipped 7.5 million units, making it the best-selling title in company history.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

:arrow: Source

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They deserve it. They did a masterful job with this one, even if it is still a bit obtuse to someone who is new to the series. It seems to take a little bit more of an MMO approach but the matchmaking is a tad lacking.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Not too surprising really, they took a game where previous titles catered only to hardcore fans of the series, actually released it on more than one console, and made it generally playable for people who never played or never previously liked the Monster Hunter series.

I'm waiting for the PC release to play it myself, and from what I've read so are a ton of other people so the sales will just keep on pouring in.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's insane, their biggest seller and it's not even out on PC yet. Got someone to invest a bunch of money in Capcom stock before release too...it's the only stock that is continously rising instead of falling right now. :lol:

Last edited by Xzi,

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never liked monster hunter and never bought one. I saw gameplay of Game grumps creating a character and instantly bought it for because of it. Really fun game honestly, wished I got interested in the other instalments though

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
And people were saying that the nintendo 3ds wasn't hindering the series.
I don't like monster hunter, I find the gameplay clunky, but it was clear as day that the 3ds was hindering what they could achieve. Would capcom brought the series to the vita it would have been a diferent story and I bet that a game with almost the same polish of mh world would have come earlier.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
This is by far my favorite in the series. I've been playing since Freedom on the PSP, and I'm super thankful that Capcom didn't nose dive this series into the ground by trying something new. It comes as no surprise to me that this is their top grossing game. It's visually stunning, not too hard for newcomers, but also isn't an insult to seasoned players, and has yet to be boring. It's been a while since I've spent more than 60+ hours on a game and continue to put in more time, so it gets my approval.

Reactions: Xzi

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Still waiting for PC release to get it, not gonna buy a console just for one game, so I hope it comes out soon! Game looks great and there are only a couple things I've seen that I would dislike. Been playing MH since literally day 1 MH1 came out in Japan for the PS2, so I love this series!

To be honest, it annoys me when people constantly say that MH games before MHWorld are clunky or whatever, just because the game is about precision and proper planning/calculation it doesn't mean it's clunky. You can't be comparing MH to hack and slash games with no depth, it's COMPLETELY different and the only reason people find it clunky is because they assume it's hack and slash like action games usually are, when it's not.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I hope people happy that Megaman, Resident Evil and many other Capcom IP being ignore for the time to come.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, it annoys me when people constantly say that MH games before MHWorld are clunky or whatever, just because the game is about precision and proper planning/calculation it doesn't mean it's clunky. You can't be comparing MH to hack and slash games with no depth, it's COMPLETELY different and the only reason people find it clunky is because they assume it's hack and slash like action games usually are, when it's not.

I got that that was what they were going for, still found all the older games clunky. Not yet played this but most that made the same charge and otherwise have similar tastes to me really like this one and state changes to that.

As I have said quite a few times in various places I wanted to like monster hunter and on paper it was almost everything I purport to enjoy in games (if you can make a case that I would not like crafting, exploration, thoughtful combat, giant monsters and co-op then I have no idea what posts of mine you have been reading). The resulting games though were far less than the sum of their parts and I really tried to get into them on multiple occasions in multiple ways.

No doubt there were some that went in thinking old school hack and slash* and dismissed it accordingly but it was certainly not all of them.

*though have you seen the trend in those games since about ninja gaiden on the original xbox or perhaps Devil May Cry? Timing, patience, planning/defence and anything but near infinite health with some button mashing is the order of the day in an awful lot of those games. Indeed nigh invincible demigod power fantasy might even the harder to come by side of that gameplay style these days if you chuck out the warriors conglomeration.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Capcom have a bad habit of walking out when they see less money and let be honest, who can top this?
They have announced a new mainline megaman, *points at Resident Evil 7* and also one probably wants to see the stuff being done for Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition. They have a ways to go before they end up as beloved as PS2 era Atlus, or indeed 16 bit era Capcom, and certainly they have pursued profit to the detriment of their long term viability in the fairly recent past but they seem to have put down the crack pipe for a least a little while now.

I was kind of sad to see Dragon's Dogma online options going down but it had a decent run I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.