Gaming Homebrew game Can't restore save from backup

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my HDD to SSD and I can't seem to restore a save for some reason. I'm on 6.72.
I've had 10 games on the original HDD and my account was offline activated.
I made the following steps before swapping the HDD:
1, back up the system using system, back up and restore (I had to uncheck God of War because my external HDD wasn't big enough to backup everything)
2, back up saves using application saved data management
3, I used backup payload (Al Azif's host)

Then, I swapped the HDD, reinstalled 6.72 fw, restored the the first backup from step 1, restored my profile with the same name & offline activated it, backed up the saves from step 2. At this point, all my game loaded my saves, but my trophies was gone so lastly, I used FTP to restore home & trophies folders from step 3, (however not without error, I did it twice and I always got 20-30 unsuccessful transfers) however after rebooting, all my trophies reappeared.
But here comes the weird part. Remember I couldn't backup God of War? So, I reinstalled it, but it wouldn't load my save. The game tells me my save is corrupted and suggests me to create a new save or restore it from usb. I restored the save (again) but it won't work. Relaunching the game tells me again the save is corrupted, suggests me the same options again.
Any way to "repair" the save?

Edit: For anyone who reads this thread. I was late to realise that I was doing things in the wrong order with the save restoring and also wasn't using the Save Mounter the way it meant to be used, which would've saved me a lot of time and headache. I was lucky at the end of the day, but if anyone gets in a similar situation, feel free to contact me and I'll try to help the best I can! :)

Last edited by Horvi,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depends on where that god of war backup came from. it could be a keystone error, which will cause the save to become corrupt if it's a legit save from the legit game (not fpkg). you could try importing the save if you exported them at some point. account activator will allow that. there's also save mounter to avoid pfs entirely.

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is a keystone error? It's not a legit save from a legit game, it's my own save from GoW (fpkg) I play. Is there an other way to import that save? I already tried 2. What is wave mounter tho? Haven't used it before.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's probably not a keystone error then. the keystone is what encrypts the save with a certain key. I think it's related to the passcode in some way, but I'm not sure. a legit save with a fpkg without the original keystone will become corrupted at boot. save mounter will mount the save, then you can replace it. you'll need to make a save for it first, then replace it with save mounter.

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a tutorial for that for 6.72? I can't seem to find one, I don't know how to do that exactly.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a tutorial as does @KiiWii on here. it's essentially the same process as 5.05, just need 6.72 files. in fact, very little has changed in how you do anything really all the way up to 7.55.

Reactions: KiiWii

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You gonna hate me for that but where can I found your (or KiiWii's) tutorial? I tried to run the save mounter, I successfully connected it to the ps4 via ftp, clicked on setup and it froze along with the ps4....

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be running the wrong version. I've heard of that happening to others. I only have the stuff for 5.05, so you'd need to look for 6.72.

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, found the right version and mounted the save. I could only found one but I made 2 manual saves tho. Anyway, I mounted the save, ran ftp & filezilla, navigated to /mnt/pfs/savedata_1895aee5_CUSA07410_sce_sdmemory.
There's a folder sce_sys and a single file there, named memory.dat. Is that the .dat file I have to overwrite?

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I looked through both my backups and didn't find any file with the same name "memory.dat".

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm...that's weird. @Leeful may know what to do. I've never seen that happen, and he knows more about save mounter than I do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you need to backup the saves the same way you replace them, unless that's what you're doing. if the save ends in .bin, it's encrypted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

remember also that it's based on slot, so take mega man legacy collection for example. the saves for each game are separate and must be mounted separately or else the names won't match.

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't back up my saves this way. Please see my first post. Can you figure out something? :unsure:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it will work this way as I've never done it. grab the save decrypted with save mounter, then delete the save and create a new one. then, use save mounter again to replace the save. is that what you're doing?

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No but now I gonna copy those back again (using application save data management) and see if that works

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you can import the saves, it should work unless something is wrong with the save or it's incompatible (some saves are with save mounter, I believe).

Horvi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting.....After backing up the save from usb, now the /mnt/pfs/savedata_1895aee5_CUSA07410_sce_sdmemory folder is empty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...