Hacking Can't play newer legit games on hacked Wii?

pacowles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I used the Twilight hack (system software 3.3U) to get Homebrew Channel/cIOS36 rev7/USB Loader on my Wii and all has been well for a while. I've been using these features exclusively to back up games to a USB hard drive via legit retail copies. I ran into my first major issue with Ghostbusters, and after reading these forums, I'm obviously not the only one and it seems too complicated to even be worth trying to fix. That said, I wanted to play Ghostbusters via the legit, retail disc, but everytime I had it in, it wanted a system update. Trying to bypass that, I tried to use MenuLoader to disable updates, which DID work, but when I loaded the game, it would freeze on a black screen. Now I know there must be a way to fix this issue, as I'm sure many of you here on GBAtemp still play legit games via retail discs and this is too big of an issue to be something people are simply chalking up as part of the cost of hacking. I just need to know what, exactly will help me solve this problem of not being able to boot these legit discs without an update. Do I need to downgrade to 3.2U and get Starfall or do I just need to install Softmii? Would changing the cIOS to 36 rev10 or rev9 help with this issue? I'm sure there is lilely an easy explanation, it's just not a problem I had previously encountered, as I have been copying the games to my HDD and booting via USB. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: wow, so I just updated the Homebrew Channel because of a prompt and now everytime I try to load it, it resets back to the Home menu...wtf? Any suggestions on this one?

pacowles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried removing HBC by erasing the channel and twilight-hacking to load Hackmii installer and uninstalling the HBS through that and I can't get Bannerbomb to load boot.elf. What's causing the HBC to reset to the Wii Home now? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling a ton of times and it's still the same. Tried bannerbomb and couldn't get it to do anything. Any other options? I find it hard to believe that simply updating via an update prompt could cause the channel to stop functioning completely...Would downgrading to 3.2U help or anything else?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You need to install IOS 60. Get WiiSCU and run it with twilight hack, then install IOS 60. Then reinstall HBC with hackmii installer via twilight hack. For your game - launch it via Gecko OS. It will prompt you to install some IOS or two. Say yes. Then the game should boot. Now it should boot from Disc Channel without asking to update.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
Wow. You must have a really old IOSes if HBC reloads.

I don't know about that... it happened to me sometimes while hacking (installing applications) on a 4.0 FW Wii, that the HBC when started would go back to the System Menu. I fixed it by running the TH / BannerBomb again to execute the HackMii installer and overwrite the HBC in the process. That would make it work again.

pacowles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would trying to run a newer CIOS installer via TwilightHack and then reinstalling HBC possibly fix the issue? Also, I don't remember if this is normal, but after reinstalling HBC and hitting "exit," the screen stays black and won't reset without holding down the power button. Is this what's causing the problem with getting HBC back to its normal state?

Edit: I have tried reinstalling HBC via TwilightHack, but it hasn't changed anything. I can't even get Bannerbomb to load the installer. Does anyone know what the HBC update actually does? This may help me figure out exactly what is causing it to loop back to Home everytime I run it.

pacowles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
You need to install IOS 60. Get WiiSCU and run it with twilight hack, then install IOS 60. Then reinstall HBC with hackmii installer via twilight hack. For your game - launch it via Gecko OS. It will prompt you to install some IOS or two. Say yes. Then the game should boot. Now it should boot from Disc Channel without asking to update.

Thanks dude, this fixed everything. Is there any need to update to cIOS36 Rev10 or 9 fro Rev7? I haven't had any issues with 7 prior to this, so is there any advantage to installing 9 or 10?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: