Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
update 2:
- Star Soldier R PAL works great'

- Pole's Big Adventure might work if i manually convert it to PAL without freethewads, I'll give to give that a try when i find the needed software.

thanks a lot to everyone that helped me in this topic, you guys are great.

update:
- it's NOT a missing IOS it seems, after running title lister all the required IOSs for the Downloaded Channels match the ones I have installed.
- It doesn't appear to be a regional problem, used freethewards, converted it to PAL and free and neither worked
- Star Soldier R still doesn't work even with IOS37 installed

pending:
- trying to crack the thing manually with that guide, but I can't find the required software
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this same problem with Star Sodlier R but since I don't care much about that game I never bothered to figure out what was up.
But, I've been waiting for Pole's Big Adventure for a while now and I want to get it working.

Basically the game boots to a black screen after you launch it from its channel, I was thinking I might be missing an IOS but I seem to have everything.

My Wii Specs:
3.2E
WiiKey 1.9s
Starfall installed so NTSC US VC and WiiWare games work

IOS I have installed:
IOS55
IOS37
cIOS249-IOS36-rev07
ios249_r7
IOS38-64-v3609

All my other WiiWare, VC and backup games work great.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
could it be because it's an NTSC-J game? I play PAL and NTSC US WiiWare games just fine, but maybe I'm missing some drivers for Japanese WiiWare games or something, I can play Japanese Wii games.

But, Klonoa for example doesn't work with GeckoOS or the Gamma loader, it only works when converted to PAL from the Disc Channel, this means it boots with my chip and not with the softmod hacks I guess, Fragile however works fine with GeckoOS and Gamma Loader.

I think I'm definitely missing some IOS for japanese wiiware games and maybe regular some Jp Wii games but I don't know what.

Gh0sT5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant remember how I got it to work but I remember when I tried Freethewads and it crashed into a black screen.

I think someone changed the region using "wadder" or something like that, then uploaded it somewhere for people to download.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I think that i've read something about it last week.
You need to use Freethewad (like you did) but you need to force the region of the wad to your Wii's one. In a shell/cmd window, use:
freethewad.exe your.wad poopie

step6selectyourregionbyjs2.png

poopie will trigger the region settings, hit the one you want (2 - PAL) and try installing your wad again.

D

Deleted User

Wadder is safe. Don't be a paranoid.

Wadder is only for making homebrew apps turned into channels.

For making WADs Region free, use FreeTheWads. Though it won't work on some games. And won't be needed, coz we have Preloader/Starfall.

Black screen, it usually requires certain IOS.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
that seems way too complex, is there no simple workaround for this.
Guess i'll try freethewad if not I'll ask around for a pre-patched version that works on PAL systems i dunno

thanks fort he info tho, i might try it at some point but it seems like too much work

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
freethewads didn't do anything, guess now I have to go about it the more complex way and try to crack it using that guide.

But I still think I have an IOS missing...

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks man, title lister is a great tool and one I didn't know existed and I'm sure it'll get me closer to solving my problem as soon as I get home and run it on a TV I can actually read on since the TV I'm using now here at my grandparents is crap.

They should've make it create log txt files from the stuff it detects, would've been much easier.

I'll try later again see if maybe then I can read anything but with my bad eyes and this crappy small TV it won't be any different, but thanks for the app I needed something like this and it might help me with this, in the meantime I'll try and find all that stuff needed for manually cracking the game but so far I've had no luck in finding any of the needed stuff.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
since I can't find any of the files needed for manually cracking this, could someone help me with title lister, I can't read that thing to save my life on this TV but even if I could it would do me no good, I had a guy run it on his wii for me and he couldn't tell which of the things listed was this game.

I also tried converting it to region free with freethwads and still a black screen.

I'm 99% sure it's a mission IOS, but I don't know which one, I don't have that IOS53 thing installed but I hear that's for 3.3 only and the equivalent to that for 3.2 is IOS55 which i have now

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on a TV I should be able to read on now, but I can't figure out which of all that stuff is the WAD I need to check the IOS for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to get this game up and running and I know if someone knowledgeable enough shows some interest in my problem they'll be able to help me.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I believe that it might be a corrupted WAD issue, since i got StarSoldier-R running fine...
Maybe you should try to repatch the wad to NTSC-J (since it's only out in Japan for now) and try to run it with Starfall/Preloader and the "Region Free Channel" hack on.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Don Killah said:
I believe that it might be a corrupted WAD issue, since i got StarSoldier-R running fine...
Maybe you should try to repatch the wad to NTSC-J (since it's only out in Japan for now) and try to run it with Starfall/Preloader and the "Region Free Channel" hack on.

man I have all that stuff enabled, starfalls patches and everything hence why all my other games work.
I'm definitely missing an IOS I just don't know which one, because this and star solder are the only two wiiware games that don't work, they boot to a black screen, not the kind of blackscreen where your TV goes out of sync with the wii due to region differences but actual frozen game kinda black screen.

I even tried redownloading the WAD and installing it and nothing, people with US systems seem to be able to play it just fine.

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Might be an IOS missing i agree, but i already told you that Star Soldier R is working fine for me.
So maybe, try to download it from another location, the file might be corrupted server-side.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If it's corrupted it wouldn't work for others who downloaded it from there too, plus if you upload a corrupted file to this place you're in for some major downvoting and hating.

Well now I took pics with my cell of when title lister was listing the downloaded channels I have with their names and IOSs with no Pole installed, then I'll install pole's big adventure and the channel that wasn't there before should be it so I'll see what IOS it requires.

that title lister thing is awesome, now that I can read it I'm VERY impressed with it, it even listed all the stuff i already have installed.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
looked over the required IOS's for all Downloaded Channels with Pole installed and none of them required an IOS I don't already have, hell not a single one even needed IOS55 and I installed that too since i thought it might fix the problem.

Well now we know it's not a missing IOS.
I installed Alien Crush Returns and that works like a charm and so do all my other VC and WiiWare games.

Something about Pole and Star Soldier R is off and I'm not sure what I'll give Star Soldier another try now, cause I haven't tried that since I installed IOS37

EDIT: Just checked, Star Soldier R still doesn't work and I have the US NTSC or PAL version, not sure which one, but again, all my WiiWare is US NTSC and everything works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I sank most my tokens and quarters in this game when I was a kid. A classic.