Can't get 5.1 audio

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by markmcrobie, Apr 23, 2017.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I just got my Switch, to replace my Wii U.

My TV (Samsung 65KS8000) is connected to my receiver (Sony HT-SS1200) via optical. My Sky Q box, Xbox One S, PS4 Pro are all connected to the TV by HDMI. But when I connected the Wii U this way, it wouldn't do 5.1 audio. However if I connected it to the receiver via HDMI, the 5.1 audio worked fine.

Now, though, I can't 5.1 audio from the Switch no matter whether I connect it directly to the TV via HDMI, then TV > receiver via optical, or connect the Switch to the receiver via HDMI and the receiver to the TV via HDMI too (which is the setup that worked on Wii U).

I went into Switch settings and set audio to "Surround", no change.

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    The game itself has to support 5.1 surround, like how the Wii U had games that were only stereo and some had 5.1
    any sort of optical connection will never do 5.1 on the Switch or Wii U as it does not encode PCM into Dolby Digital or DTS like how the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PS4 can. (PS3 could to but it was dependent on the source video or game)

3. RayD97

RayD97 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2015
    United States
    You're not alone with this problem..
    That little surround sound test it does after selecting surround sound doesn't come out of all my speakers.

Last edited by RayD97, Apr 23, 2017
  4. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't think the switch supports 5.1, only stereo, but don't quote me on it.

5. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    You're kidding me?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I only have Zelda. I'm sure it was 5.1 on my Wii U

NutymcNuty likes this.
  6. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    BotW and most Nintendo games had Surround.
    Switch doesn't seem to support Surround for now, atleast by looking at it's system.

7. kargath

kargath Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2007
    United States
    ? The switch definitely already supports surround sound when docked. It's in the menu and can be selected (for docked mode) even when you're in handheld mode. You may have been looking at the sound setting for handheld mode, which does not support surround sound.

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    zelda was in 5.1 when i was playing it on my Yamaha receiver. surround was deff working i could hear noises all around me when in forests etc from my back and surround speakers.

9. sorabora

sorabora Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2016
    United States
    What happens during the 5.1 surround sound test that occurs after you select "surround sound" in the Switch system settings? I have the same TV, and have also done the Switch > TV > A/V (via ARC) setup and multi-channel 5.1 PCM worked perfectly.

I got the Yamaha 781 a few days ago so I can get back to everything going through my A/V and, again, everything works fine.

10. Mochu

Mochu Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2006
    Poland
    If i'm not mistaken , Switch just like Wii U doesn't use any kind of compressed surround sound (DD 5.1 or DTS) so only uncompressed PCA 5.1 is supported, if your receiver doesn't support it then it wont work.

Last edited by Mochu, Apr 24, 2017
  11. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I got it working on Wii U though.

12. nopantzplz

nopantzplz Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2017
    Poland
    ARC is the same as a SPDIF connection, meaning it can only send DD5.1, DTS and LPCM 2.0. There's just not enough bandwith for LPCM 5.1, which is why it doesn't work. The PS4 can encode your audio "on the fly" to DD5.1/DTS (it sends LPCM by default), not sure about the Xbone, never had one. Nintendo however doesn't want to spring for a DD/DTS license (not their style really), and they ONLY support LPCM.

However, the PROPER way to do this is to connect all of your devices to the AVR, and do switching there, leaving ARC only for, well, audio return channel :D Think cable TV (if you're using straight coaxial with a smart card, not a cable box) or apps like netflix running on the TV itself.

13. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    The Switch can only do uncompressed PCM, as well as the WiiU, as Ninty probably didn't feel like paying any fees for Dolby Digital or DTS. Thus, if your receiver doesn't support uncompressed PCM 5.1, you're out of luck. You won't get 5.1 that way.

14. alpha_noj

alpha_noj GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Just to make sure, your TV supports pass through for audio? Most don't, which is why people generally go through the receiver to the TV.

15. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    guess it's time to get a Yamaha :P

16. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    Just checked on my crappy Yamaha RX-V367 and besides prologic 2 modes it seems the best I can get is 2.1 pcm.
    Is Zelda even 5.1?

17. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it is on my old Yamaha RX-V673

18. nopantzplz

nopantzplz Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2017
    Poland
    Nope, checked it for you, it has HDMI 1.4b inputs. You can do LPCM 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS, and Matrix-encoded spacial like Pro Logic II (usefull for those older consoles like Gamecube/Wii/PS2). What it can't do is HD spacial, like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Atmos or DTS-X, but no console uses it as of today. And yeah, BotW does 5.1 on my WiiU

Hi-5, i have a 679 :D

Bladexdsl and Wiisel like this.
  19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Nintendo doesn't support some formats like dolby pro and such

20. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    Indeed it does I just got in from work had another cycle through the programs and found it. I really do hate the amount of sound modes this amp has compared to my old Sony with it's simple 3 buttons.