Does there exist the means to stream from Android to Android with full input sendback? (Ayn Thor)

  • Thread starter Thread starter DiscostewSM
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,321
  • Replies Replies 4

DiscostewSM

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
7,288
Reaction score
5,833
Trophies
3
Location
Sacramento, California
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
9,704
Country
United States
I am on the edge of buying an Ayn Thor with its dual-screens, but my main holdup involves TV-play. I'd say it's no problem with most platforms the device would emulate because they are single-screen-based, but its a device designed around having that second screen for DS, 3DS, and even Wii U. I mainly game on my TV when I'm at home, but I love having the means to just take my system with me, like the Switch, for when I'm out away from home. The Ayn Thor fits that portability factor, but in terms of TV-play, those 3 mentioned systems have an issue when it comes to touch-screen utilization.

If it were PC/Windows-based, it wouldn't be as much of a problem because of there being some progress in that area. There's even the option with using a modded Switch 1 via SkyNX. But there barely seem to be anything like that for Android-based devices, likely because Android is generally the client, not the server. The closest I've gotten to finding something like this is RustDesk and Deskin, which can remote in between Android devices. I tried them out between my S21U and my modded Switch 1 loaded with Android/LineageOS. Deskin seems to have the better video latency among the two, but both have a problem with regards to input. They seem limited to touch-screen input, and Deskin remote control is locked behind a paywall subscription.

Does anyone here know of what options are available, or at the very least, what one can do in a situation with a device like this connected to a TV?
 
I am on the edge of buying an Ayn Thor with its dual-screens, but my main holdup involves TV-play. I'd say it's no problem with most platforms the device would emulate because they are single-screen-based, but its a device designed around having that second screen for DS, 3DS, and even Wii U. I mainly game on my TV when I'm at home, but I love having the means to just take my system with me, like the Switch, for when I'm out away from home. The Ayn Thor fits that portability factor, but in terms of TV-play, those 3 mentioned systems have an issue when it comes to touch-screen utilization.

If it were PC/Windows-based, it wouldn't be as much of a problem because of there being some progress in that area. There's even the option with using a modded Switch 1 via SkyNX. But there barely seem to be anything like that for Android-based devices, likely because Android is generally the client, not the server. The closest I've gotten to finding something like this is RustDesk and Deskin, which can remote in between Android devices. I tried them out between my S21U and my modded Switch 1 loaded with Android/LineageOS. Deskin seems to have the better video latency among the two, but both have a problem with regards to input. They seem limited to touch-screen input, and Deskin remote control is locked behind a paywall subscription.

Does anyone here know of what options are available, or at the very least, what one can do in a situation with a device like this connected to a TV?
Why not game stream from a PC? You can do the same to your TV too.
 
Why not game stream from a PC? You can do the same to your TV too.
It's mainly because of the Thor's size, and having everything in one place. I'd hook up the Thor to a hub for power + HDMI out for when I'd be at home, but when I am going out for a bit where I might have time to play, I'd unplug it and put it in my pocket.
 
Have you considered just using a long cable? From what I remember with the Thor, the top screen gets mirrored when it's hooked up to a monitor. With that in mind, you could just get a decently long cable and use the thing as you would a controller. A USB C to HDMI cable isn't too expensive, and you could probably find one that's lightweight enough as to not put too much stress on the port.
 
Have you considered just using a long cable? From what I remember with the Thor, the top screen gets mirrored when it's hooked up to a monitor. With that in mind, you could just get a decently long cable and use the thing as you would a controller. A USB C to HDMI cable isn't too expensive, and you could probably find one that's lightweight enough as to not put too much stress on the port.
I know it's a simple solution, but I've been doing my best to clear out wires where possible. With regard to the stress on the port, I know there are 180 degree USB-C adapters, so that's an option in case going wired is truly the way to go, but measurements are important.

I had attempted some wireless alternatives, such as streaming/casting to the TV, using my S21U as the source test, which its SD 888 is not as strong as the Ayn Thor's SD 8 Gen 3. Even though I have an LG C1, it doesn't really have anything special inside performance-wise, so using its casting receiver doesn't work all that well for what I'm looking for. I did find a beta app called GCast for Android, which does low-latency casting to web browsers on devices in the same network. Again, the browser app in the TV has poor performance, so it didn't work all that well. What I did have was my Series X, so I used its Edge browser to test, and it was actually pretty smooth along with low latency. Only problem, and you've probably guessed it already, is that audio has rather noticeable delay. If that could be dealt with to a lower minimum, then that might be what tips me over into Ayn Thor territory.
 

Site & Scene News