Hacking Can't follow simple instructions to hack

Trueogre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello

Believe it or not I don't have wifi. Because I don't have wifi I get stuck on trying to go through the process.

It tells me to install IOS236 Because I don't have it I have to use NUS.

Fair enough only when I had a problem with a trojan that left me unable to access the internet but gave me access to MSN. I followed a guide from my laptop to change the settings on my internet which allowed me access to internet but locked me out of MSN.

Anyway I think this reason is why I can't download ISO236 but I got a friend to download it for me and he sent it through to me on Trillian (IM).

I loaded the file as named onto the SD card but when I run it it just says:

"Could not open file: sd:/IOS36-64-u3351.wad
Could not open file: sd:/IOS36-64-v3351.wad.cut.wad
Error reading IOS into memory
IOS36 installation failed.
Press any button to exit..."

What am I doing wrong (apologies if this is the wrong thread).

- Trueogre

Trueogre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm folling the instructions on the website.

I said you need to install Homebrew Channel (no problem)
I then installed Bootmii (no problems)
Backed up NAND (no problems)
Then it said install IOS[num]
you follow the links and it says you need IOS236

When I got my friend to download IOS236.wad it came as a folder. Inside the folder there is a .wad with the same name. Do I just copy that 1 file to the root or the whole directory then copy .wad file to root?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
No, you don't need the IOS236 wad period. Use NUSD to download IOS36 v3351 and check the Pack To Wad option (if there is no pack to wad option you need key.bin in the same folder as the NUSD exe). Then put THAT wad (which should already have the right name, so don't rename it) on the ROOT of your SD card (i.e. X:\IOS36-64-v3551.wad) and you'll be good to go. Then run the IOS236 installer and it should work.

C.S.I.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just use Mod-MIii (stickied at the top of this section).

It will allow you to use your PC to download all the required files to put on an SD card, and create a tutorial for you.

Simplest way to move forward.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
^ agree - Mod-mii is what I'll recommend... No confusion over which ios is most recent etc - the program does it all for you (although IF you have Wii 4.3 firmware you'll still need one of the required games to softmod - it's all in the guide it makes)

Trueogre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is I thought my PC was quite up to date since it's a quad...although not an I7. It's not even got a HCSD reader. I should really go out and buy an adapter really. I'll try and see what the file to root does and give it another go. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Actually - I believe you should really use a standard SD card anyway.... IIRC there's always been some people who have had trouble using HCSD cards when softmodding (I think I also had trouble with an 8Gb card)

Actually it's mentioned in modMii guides that
QUOTE said:
*An SD card formatted to FAT(32) required (Best results are with non-SDHC cards, SDHC will only work on 4.0 or above)

Trueogre

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using an 8gb one but at the moment no problems. And it did work just transferring the file to root. Thanks a million will soldier on. Watch this space!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol