Hacking Can't boot into Gateway menu anymore after 2.3?

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey, everyone... just updated from 2.2 to 2.3, by means of copying the new Launcher.dat to the SD card and then using L+R to apply the update. Everything is working fine in terms of games and such, but when I try to use L+R again to get back into the Gateway menu and get to work on creating an emuNAND, I am prompted once more if I want to update the firmware. Cancelling this prompt sends me back to sysNAND.

Importante note: I never setup an emuNAND on this system before... it's virgin as far as that is concerned.

So, is this a common issue? How do I get around to solving it? Will deleting Launcher.dat simply do? Do I need to reinstall everything starting from the blue card?

Thanks for the help.

wischmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How could you be playing games when you dont have an emuNAND? Without emuNAND you won´t be able to access the Gateway´s rom selection feature, or am i terribky wrong right now...

Copy over all the files needed to any NDS card in order to install the exploit (if not already done), then just reboot your 3DS and enter the NDS user settings while holding just L. Set up emuNAND this way after you backed up all the contents on your 3DS´s internal SD-card. Copy those contents back once emuNAND has been set up. Now you´re done and ready to do whatever you want to inside your emuNAND, which you can boot just by entering NDS user settings without holding any button.

if you keep holding R, Gateway will force to update every time.

marra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if it will make a difference mate but I only used L trigger when I'm booting into gateway mode always have tbh and when I'm updating the Launcher I just replace the file on the sd card and boot to gateway as normal (L trigger and press Ds profile) and it works.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was being a newbie... since Gateway is so badly documented, I was using L+R to boot into the Gateway menu, but that's actyually just for updating the firmware... holding L is all that is supposed to be used. Fuck.

Thanks.

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How could you be playing games when you dont have an emuNAND? Without emuNAND you won´t be able to access the Gateway´s rom selection feature, or am i terribky wrong right now...

Copy over all the files needed to any NDS card in order to install the exploit (if not already done), then just reboot your 3DS and enter the NDS user settings while holding just L. Set up emuNAND this way after you backed up all the contents on your 3DS´s internal SD-card. Copy those contents back once emuNAND has been set up. Now you´re done and ready to do whatever you want to inside your emuNAND, which you can boot just by entering NDS user settings without holding any button.

if you keep holding R, Gateway will force to update every time.

You're wrong to a degree... you can use gateway mode without emunand but the newer games won't be playable since you need a higher firmware. Remember gateway came out then emunand came later

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was being a newbie... since Gateway is so badly documented, I was using L+R to boot into the Gateway menu, but that's actyually just for updating the firmware... holding L is all that is supposed to be used. Fuck.

Thanks.
You don't need to hold R to update either, that only applies to updating the fpga, and only if an fpga update failed previously and you have to force install again. Just putting the new launcher on the SD is fine.

You also need to have the gateway inserted to boot into gateway/classic emunand mode in 2.3.

If you're about to try to update emunand, make a backup of your nand first, copy it to your PC. A lot of people screw up not following directions and update the system nand

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You don't need to hold R to update either, that only applies to updating the fpga, and only if an fpga update failed previously and you have to force install again. Just putting the new launcher on the SD is fine.

You also need to have the gateway inserted to boot into gateway/classic emunand mode in 2.3.

If you're about to try to update emunand, make a backup of your nand first, copy it to your PC. A lot of people screw up not following directions and update the system nand
Just to be absolutely sure then, mate... I already made a NAND backup. So now I'll boot into the menu, select "Format Emunand", go into Gateway mode, make sure the firmware says GW-XXX, then update like I would normally in a normal system. From then on, I 'll boot into normal 4.5 but my Gateway will be on 8.1 and able to run the newer encryption ROMs. Is that so? I have been running just using ROM spoofing for the past six months, so that's why I'm so lost...

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those who update sysnand aren't paying attention, if you change the home layout for System nand and then Change emunand home layout you will know which nand you are in. On my system nand I have where it the boxes are as big as they come and on emunand i have it where I can see all of apps without scrolling left or right. Simple and effective

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be absolutely sure then, mate... I already made a NAND backup. So now I'll boot into the menu, select "Format Emunand", go into Gateway mode, make sure the firmware says GW-XXX, then update like I would normally in a normal system. From then on, I 'll boot into normal 4.5 but my Gateway will be on 8.1 and able to run the newer encryption ROMs. Is that so? I have been running just using ROM spoofing for the past six months, so that's why I'm so lost...
Yes that's exactly right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated