Can you load switch games from a HDD?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love this feature, personally. I don't do the normal "play a game then delete" strategy most folks seem comfy with. I'm more of a "okay, which of my huge library of incomplete games would I like to progress a bit today" kind of person. Having a larger pool allows me to play what I would really like to play, instead of settling for the smaller pool of most recent games.

But no, the feature doesn't exist in atmosphere, and I wish I knew enough code to try and make it happen myself.

Not really. What if you have kids? What if everybody needs their own games? What if you're into sports games? I like my hard drive. Your needs are not my needs. I have 2 512gb micro sd and still play off my HDDs and SSD. It's awesome.
you just further proved my point either you can't read different usernames or don't read the whole thing before commenting or you are possibly one of those kind of people that has to make up bullshit in order to try to win. one thing you NEED to do is stop putting words in my mouth
The question was asked and answered, it can be dropped.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love this feature, personally. I don't do the normal "play a game then delete" strategy most folks seem comfy with. I'm more of a "okay, which of my huge library of incomplete games would I like to progress a bit today" kind of person. Having a larger pool allows me to play what I would really like to play, instead of a smaller pool.

But no, doesn't exist, and I wish I knew enough code to try and make it happen myself.

The question was asked and answered, it can be dropped.
realistically a 500GB or even 1TB would be enough for that hell even if you (unrealistically) had all 20GB games that would fit 23 games on a 500GB and 46 games on a 1TB. realistically you would have many more games than that and if you needed even more games then you must never complete any games you play.

Last edited by deathblade200,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
All the NBA 2k games are over 40 and with updates and dlc some push 60. Nba2k22 is 49 for the base game. Doom gets huge with all the DLC and updates Mk11 . ..

20gb base is not uncommon. 9 games on a 200gb card. Shit for a family of 4

You need to leave people alone about it. HDD loading is good. Hot swap. Any USB device. No install. Kicks the llamas ass.
Sports games are all the same though so you only need one of them. You don't need every yearly version, just grab the newest one.
I agree 200 GB is a bit small for Switch but you should fill the card with a variety of games, which will include a lot of smaller games too, you'll definitely fit way more than 10 games. 512 GB seems about the right size for me but shared among multiple people who might have different taste in games bigger is better. 1 TB cards are pretty cheap now which is good. Could probably fit just about the entire library of Switch games that are actually worth playing on a 1 TB card.
Surprisingly 500 gb micro sd cards are only about $30 on Amazon, get one of those and you could run all the good games.
I wouldn't buy those, they are some weird noname brands I've never heard of, some of them don't even have reviews, who knows if the capacity is legit or if they will last, they might break after a few months. Bad flash memory is extremely common. Just stick with the known good brands.

Reactions: AndreAR and osaka35

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok to put this at rest.

the only cfw that allows hdd or usb support is sx os, that said, the cfw is dead for now unless anyone wants to bother decompiling the boot.dat and adding the newer fw keys (aparently its only stored in a txt file) then recomplile back to the boot.dat

but sx os in a way is still functional as newer games have been seen patched to run on lower firmware for sx os.

having the option to run of a usb hdd is miles better than having to buy a large sd card to store your games.

i only moved from sx os to atmos because it was better supported when it comes to tools to find cheat pointers, sx os never really bothered to update its cheat feature or release tools.

i have a 500gb sd card and it annoys me when i have to keep deleting games in order to play something new, where if hdd support was an option, i could simply store them on a hdd and use my sd for the games i currently play.

and yea, a hdd will eventually get full, but you can buy them cheaper than an sd card.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok to put this at rest.

the only cfw that allows hdd or usb support is sx os, that said, the cfw is dead for now unless anyone wants to bother decompiling the boot.dat and adding the newer fw keys (aparently its only stored in a txt file) then recomplile back to the boot.dat

but sx os in a way is still functional as newer games have been seen patched to run on lower firmware for sx os.

having the option to run of a usb hdd is miles better than having to buy a large sd card to store your games.

i only moved from sx os to atmos because it was better supported when it comes to tools to find cheat pointers, sx os never really bothered to update its cheat feature or release tools.

i have a 500gb sd card and it annoys me when i have to keep deleting games in order to play something new, where if hdd support was an option, i could simply store them on a hdd and use my sd for the games i currently play.

and yea, a hdd will eventually get full, but you can buy them cheaper than an sd card.
Being on roads all over the year, I will never drop Sxos.

Detroitguy22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sx is obsolete, barely any games or homebrew work and are slow to load, it just has a user base that has to convert everyone else to use it even though like 3 people care even all the old sx users have moved on just wait for a sale and get a 1tb sd card

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-
Not saying hdds or ssds are bad, I just think sd cards are more practical, and also, SXOS is no longer supported.
I appreciate your opinion. I think it's because you don't know. You haven't tried it. With SXOS you never have to worry. I can copy a game to a SD/HDD.SSD or anything else and plug it right in. I have used a WiFi enabled SD to stream small games from my PC. There is no install, no making room, no deleting anything, ever. When you want to change a SD you have to power down the switch, swap cards with the fragile SD slot and reinject. Then if it's new you have to install. Or you could install over the network. OR , with SXOS, you could toss it on ANY USB DEVICE and plug it in. You can hot swap. No need to power down. Works great in handheld with an OTG cable. I am not willing to lose this functionality. I have 6 and 8 year old playing this system. They have their own SD cards (Kids love that) and they can swap it no issue. Win Win. You can have your way but IMHO it is the worst way for my situation.

-snip-
Being on roads all over the year, I will never drop Sxos.
Right, because you are an individual with unique and valid needs and opinions! Right on man. I hope your HDD keeps going forever!!! :D

-snip-

OP if you want to get this going and haven't yet, PM me I am happy to explain the details and point you to proper factual articles.

You can play almost every game made so far off your HDD. Even Eshop games. It's easy and useful. The fact that it's no longer being updated doesn't mean a thing. It still works and works well. You can keep everything in a EmuNAND and it's never an issue.

CHEERS!

Sx is obsolete, barely any games or homebrew work and are slow to load, it just has a user base that has to convert everyone else to use it even though like 3 people care even all the old sx users have moved on just wait for a sale and get a 1tb sd card
This is wrong. It's fast. All but like 10 or 20 games work perfectly. You never even tried it obviously.. I can still get a bigger SD and I can hot swap plug and play ANY usb devoce. It's FAST and works. Hombrew works great too. 99% of it works flwaless. All the apps people say don't work actually do for the most part. Tesla, Edison etc etc all work. You just have to install it correctly. SXOS/titles instead of Atmosphere/contents... Please read up before you state things as factual.

Nobody wants to convert. We never say ditch the other CFWs. You can have both. Atmo users are the ones that don't understand. You CAN multiboot. You can have more than one and it works great!!

Sports games are all the same though so you only need one of them. You don't need every yearly version, just grab the newest one.
I agree 200 GB is a bit small for Switch but you should fill the card with a variety of games, which will include a lot of smaller games too, you'll definitely fit way more than 10 games. 512 GB seems about the right size for me but shared among multiple people who might have different taste in games bigger is better. 1 TB cards are pretty cheap now which is good. Could probably fit just about the entire library of Switch games that are actually worth playing on a 1 TB card.

I wouldn't buy those, they are some weird noname brands I've never heard of, some of them don't even have reviews, who knows if the capacity is legit or if they will last, they might break after a few months. Bad flash memory is extremely common. Just stick with the known good brands.

Fine for you but I totally disagree with one thing,"Could probably fit just about the entire library of Switch games that are actually worth playing on a 1 TB card." I have a lot morte than 1 TB of games that everyone who plays the switch deems good. You never know what peoples needs are. I agree that you dont need all the sports games but my teen will tell you they are different because they nerfed this player that year or they made so and so too powerful. All the versions have their nuances. I think it's moot but he cares. Once again, it's all up to your individual needs. Some people have 8 kids.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: FFTW and Plazorn

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i am no SX user anymore but miss USB HDD. Am using AMS and have a 400GB sd.......Like Mikefor20 said 200 gb not enough for ppl. 400 gb is a bit too small for me. ....and one thing stop to fight like little children.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am no SX user anymore but miss USB HDD. Am using AMS and have a 400GB sd.......Like Mikefor20 said 200 gb not enough for ppl. 400 gb is a bit too small for me. ....and one thing stop to fight like little children.
You can get back on SXOS for USB loading. You can shrink the EmuNAND and have like 8GB so you have enough for saves and use it for only USB loading. Small impact that way. That's what I do. I wrote a tutorial.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my old switch died (doesnt read SD and i think the pins on the mobo are dead) my license is tied to that (i wish i could use that still cause it has a Trinket M0) now i have aother switch where i use AMS on. i would do the dualboot option one day.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my old switch died (doesnt read SD and i think the pins on the mobo are dead) my license is tied to that (i wish i could use that still cause it has a Trinket M0) now i have aother switch where i use AMS on. i would do the dualboot option one day.
I understand. SX has been cracked, you can use it without a valid license just to get your HDD back in action. My Tutorial teaches you to make 2 hidden partition emuNANDs (atmo and sxos) on the same card and how to shrink them. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: FFTW and Robru1

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-

Here is something......is there any way of Loading Rom Files from RetroArch, or running Video Files from USB? Or would AMS still need to implement a USB Function?

AFAIK it is not implemented. There is code written to utilize USB for storage. It may be implemented now. I haven't messed with the emulators for quite some time. Maybe it's time now. I asked a few months ago in the discord and they said they would look in to it. Retroarch devs hang out in a discord room. You could ask there or maybe someone here knows.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: Smoker1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-