moving sd card from old switch to new oled

hero1000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have updated hetake and atomsphere to the latest and was able to boot into oled switch main menu, but all the games are not showing even the sd card shows 95GB used. is there anyway to have all the games show up beside reinstall all of them?

also, i read some of the posts saying the game saves are on internal memory, is there anyway to export them from the old switch (doesn't power on)? I used JKSV before, does it automatically backup my game saves? if yes, where can i find it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Afaik, the Switch digitally signs the list of games that are installed on it.
So you can't just copy all the files from one switch to another.

The save games on a normal switch are on the internal emmc memory.
If you used an emummc, then they are on the SD card.
You can mount the partition or the image file on a PC.

Afaik JKSV doesn't automatically backup your saves.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, you'd have to reinstall all the games. Did you get a popup asking to reformat the card? If you don't want to do that because you have other homebrew stuff you want to keep, you can delete the Nintendo folder, or everything in the Nintendo folder apart from the DCIM folder if you want to keep screenshots/videos (I don't think they're console specific).

JKSV only backs up the saves you tell it to, it doesn't automatically back up all saves and keep them up to date.
If your old Switch will boot to RCM payload, you can use Hekate to connect the internal memory as a USB drive to a computer, and run software on the computer to back up the saves, or maybe you can use a script in Tegra Explorer to back up saves, I can't remember for sure if there is one.
If the old Switch won't even boot to RCM, then about the only option I can think of is to open it up and unplug the board with the EMMC on, and buy an adapter to connect it to your computer, and back up the saves that way. If it's not a removable board (eg Switch Lite), you could have the chip removed from the motherboard and attached to an adapter, but that would likely be pricey if you don't have the tools and skills to do it yourself.

hero1000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you'd have to reinstall all the games. Did you get a popup asking to reformat the card? If you don't want to do that because you have other homebrew stuff you want to keep, you can delete the Nintendo folder, or everything in the Nintendo folder apart from the DCIM folder if you want to keep screenshots/videos (I don't think they're console specific).

JKSV only backs up the saves you tell it to, it doesn't automatically back up all saves and keep them up to date.
If your old Switch will boot to RCM payload, you can use Hekate to connect the internal memory as a USB drive to a computer, and run software on the computer to back up the saves, or maybe you can use a script in Tegra Explorer to back up saves, I can't remember for sure if there is one.
If the old Switch won't even boot to RCM, then about the only option I can think of is to open it up and unplug the board with the EMMC on, and buy an adapter to connect it to your computer, and back up the saves that way. If it's not a removable board (eg Switch Lite), you could have the chip removed from the motherboard and attached to an adapter, but that would likely be pricey if you don't have the tools and skills to do it yourself.
Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

Thank you!

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think the Mister is cool and all, but honestly I have seen some video's exploring the...