Can you help me with my R4? (identifying and kernel)

LCaneiro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I recently found my old Nintendo DS Lite, I tried to run Pokemon White on my R4 and the "Error 4" appears, I read on the internet and found that this error occurs because the R4 kernel is out of date. Since I found out I've been looking to identify my R4 model to download a compatible kernel, but I'm not sure if my R4 is original and I can't find a compatible kernel (most websites are down).
When I try a non-compatible kernel, my DS shows "MENU?", I can't find any compatible kernel, could someone help me to identify and run Pokemon White please?

I put in the attachment the photo of my R4 with its microsd usb 2.0 (I lost the box), the photo of the layout/menu/interface of my R4, and a file with the files from my R4 that came with it.

Attachments

• R4 MENU.jpeg
    R4 MENU.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 114
  • R4 Interface.jpeg
    R4 Interface.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 118
  • My R4.rar
    3.5 MB · Views: 68
  • R4.jpeg
    R4.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 118

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go to https://gbatemp.net/download/35737/
Download it. Open it, copy the "DSTTi-Clone YSMenu" folder to your SD card.

Here's the fun part: make two copies of "TTMenu.dat", rename them to "_DS_MENU" and "R4i.dat". You only need one of these two, but we don't know which one yet.

If it boots, then delete one of the two and see which one it is the cartridge is booting from.

Reactions: LCaneiro

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@lifehackerhansol Yes ok, but what do want with YS-Menu if u can/might run TWLmenu++ nativ on the flashcard.
Kernel level support not seen on TWiLight, as well as cheat support with that kernel-level support. Also a much simpler and less bloated menu. (YSMenu is like 3 MB. TWiLight is more than 30 MB. And the menu itself is just annoying and too much going on.) TWiLight just isn't ready for flashcart use. Not to mention nds-bootstrap support on DS mode is nowhere near its DSi mode counterpart, nor YSMenu.

It's a no brainer to just use YSMenu where everything mostly just works and all the basic features are usable.

And this is coming from someone who is developing parts of TWiLight.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TWLmenu for flashcard runs on an old R4i-gold card faster then on new3DS XL and that by using nds_bootstrap. Also with full DS games cheat support and any near feature like the version on 3DS installed (but the installed emulators seem to be broken).
YS-Menu is empty, it have only basics, there is nothing.
If someone prefers running YS-Menu instead TWLmenu++, O K .

And this commes from someone who kicked YS-Menu directly from the card after first 5min and prefers TWLmenu++ all over.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TWLmenu for flashcard runs on an old R4i-gold card faster then on new3DS XL and that by using nds_bootstrap. Also with full DS games cheat support and any near feature like the version on 3DS installed (but the installed emulators seem to be broken).
YS-Menu is empty, it have only basics, there is nothing.
If someone prefers running YS-Menu instead TWLmenu++, O K .

And this commes from someone who kicked YS-Menu directly from the card after first 5min and prefers TWLmenu++ all over.
In that case you should update the compatibility list for B4DS which looks rather abysmal: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=860616020

B4DS still has no advantage over any other kernel does. Unless you actually fixed all the games in nds-bootstrap's source code lol. Or maybe you're fine with dealing with all the slowdowns (gen 5 pokemon) and games that outright don't load in B4DS (ACWW). Only reason you should ever consider B4DS as it is right now is the fact that you can run select DSiWare, and even that's not stably working for many titles.
Of course you can set it up to run via the kernel but that has its own issues. But if you were going to run it via the flashcart loader why not just use the kernel instead.

The emulators bundled with TWiLight, just download them separately. You don't need twilight for that.

Last edited by lifehackerhansol,

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the info, iam updating TWLmenu and nds_bootstrap for the flashcard regulary.
Using the kernel (as prefered option) of my card wont work, so iam using nds_bootsrap as the alternativ.

Yes for sure, i fixed all the games in Elon Musk and Chuck Norris style. 😂

TheRandomForest

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone, I've recently found out that I got the exact same R4 card shown in this thread, but on my 2GB SD card there are a lot of files missing. I tried to use the files in "MyR4" posted here but the DS just remains stuck on "Loading...". Has someone found what's the kernel for this specific card? Thanks to anyone who will answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can