Hardware Can you help a Dad out? Buying a handheld console

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you buy a new 3ds xl it will mostra likley come with a hackable firmware to hack with this https://3ds.guide/ if you buy a new 2ds xl you will need a second hackrd 3ds or solder to the 2dses mother board

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Either the n3dsxl or n2dsxl are fine, I'd stick with the n3dsxl though, for both hacking purposes (although I think ntrboothax may still work on the n2dsxl once it's released) and so that you have the 3D option should you want it. The price gap between them isn't that huge considering it's a handheld console you'll probably be playing for years.
Yes the ntrboothax method already works on 2dsxl

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I thought he said ntrboothax wasnt release yet?

The guide isn't completed for it.

https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboothax)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh think you mean the old 2DS XL but not working for the new 2DS XL yet right?
The 2DSXL is literally just a n3DS in a different shell. It has the same hardware, exploits, and even the same bootrom. Nintendo only changed out a few chips for the 2D display. Also the old2DS was just an old3DS in a stupid case, there was no old2DS XL

As for the OP, if you intend on hacking the 3DS, buy a new3DS. The current line of new3DS on the market should still be on 11.3 and below (shipping is about right for this to be the case.) So they should all still be hackable through softmod.

Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To reiterate what's already been said, the devices are pretty much the same, but the N3DSXL is much likelier to be on an easily hackable software version (11.3 or lower), so you should get that one.

Reactions: felix.200

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

I picked up a pre-owned n3DS XL today on firmware 11.3.0. They had two consoles for sale, one was on 11.5.0.
I got them to turn them on so I could check the firmware versions etc.

I have followed the guide OK so far and I am now on this page:

https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

1. Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”
  • If this still gives you an error and your NAND is below 9.2.0, follow 9.2.0 CTRTransfer, then try updating again
I haven't connected the WIFI on the n3DS to my network or anything yet.

So its saying I should run the Nintendo system update now ??

Thanks

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cw-kid You should follow this guide exactly. Do not update your 3DS until the end of the guide when it tells you to. If you update to 11.5 before you install B9S, you will not be able to install CFW. If you've already installed B9S and Luma3DS, then it's safe to update.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Hello

I picked up a pre-owned n3DS XL today on firmware 11.3.0. They had two consoles for sale, one was on 11.5.0.
I got them to turn them on so I could check the firmware versions etc.

I have followed the guide OK so far and I am now on this page:

https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

1. Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Updates while using B9S + Luma (what you have) are safe
  • If this gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”
  • If this still gives you an error and your NAND is below 9.2.0, follow 9.2.0 CTRTransfer, then try updating again
I haven't connected the WIFI on the n3DS to my network or anything yet.

So its saying I should run the Nintendo system update now ??

Thanks

I'm creating a SysNAND backup now using GodMode9

https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage.html

I will then update the Nintendo OS firmware as it says in the setup guide, I guess its safe, just wanted to double check.
It's safe. Trust me, I'm an "experienced" not really hacker.
Seriously though, we've had this question too many times to count on two hands. It's safe.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys

I have followed the complete guide step by step and I have installed B9S and Luma3DS I believe following the previous steps.

I am now on the page where it tells you to update the OS firmware etc.

I've got my SysNAND backup now on my computer so I am just about to do the system firmware update now.

Thanks.

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

Sounds good! After that you'll be wanting to grab freeshop to download 3ds backups. In the settings it asks for a URL to titlekeys. Google "that title key site" and it'll be the first result. Just input that URL! You can grab freeshop by going to FBI and under TitleDB. As for your flashcart, if it doesn't work out of the box. Look for a patch. There should be a thread on them.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds good! After that you'll be wanting to grab freeshop to download 3ds backups. In the settings it asks for a URL to titlekeys. Google "that title key site" and it'll be the first result. Just input that URL! You can grab freeshop by going to FBI and under TitleDB. As for your flashcart, if it doesn't work out of the box. Look for a patch. There should be a thread on them.

Thanks for the tips.

I am already familiar with that ticket site for the Wii-U games and use the Wii U USB Helper desktop app.

The system update is completed and its rebooted the console. Now on version 11.5.0-38E

I need to complete the rest of the setup guide now..

Reactions: Deleted-379826

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips.

I am already familiar with that ticket site for the Wii-U games and use the Wii U USB Helper desktop app.

The system update is completed and its rebooted the console. Now on version 11.5.0-38E

I need to complete the rest of the setup guide now..
Alright. After the setup is complete, you should be able to do much more than run """"""""backups""""""""".

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK the setup is complete I think. Everything seems to have gone smoothly I have new icons on the home menu now for Luma3DS, HomeBrew Launcher and FBI.

I always get nervous doing stuff like this but its seems to all be good !

At the end of the setup guide is this:

You will now boot Luma3DS CFW SysNAND by default.
You can now hold (Select) on boot to launch the Luma3DS configuration menu.
You can now hold (Start) on boot to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu (note that the Luma3DS chainloader menu is only displayed if there is more than one payload detected).
You can now hold (Start) + (Select) + (X) on boot to dump the ARM11 bootrom (boot11.bin), the ARM9 bootrom (boot9.bin), and your console unique OTP (OTP.bin) to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card (note that this will not have any kind of prompt or message).
You can now press (L) + (Down) + (Select) while the system is booted to open the Rosalina menu integrated into Luma3DS. For a full list of Rosalina features, please see the Luma3DS v8.0 Release

Do I now need to do these things? Or is it just information telling me what I can do if I want?

Specifically should I do the step about dumping the ARM11 and ARM9 bootroms ?

Thanks

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK the setup is complete I think. Everything seems to have gone smoothly I have new icons on the home menu now for Luma3DS, HomeBrew Launcher and FBI.

I always get nervous doing stuff like this but its seems to all be good !

At the end of the setup guide is this:

You will now boot Luma3DS CFW SysNAND by default.
You can now hold (Select) on boot to launch the Luma3DS configuration menu.
You can now hold (Start) on boot to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu (note that the Luma3DS chainloader menu is only displayed if there is more than one payload detected).
You can now hold (Start) + (Select) + (X) on boot to dump the ARM11 bootrom (boot11.bin), the ARM9 bootrom (boot9.bin), and your console unique OTP (OTP.bin) to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card (note that this will not have any kind of prompt or message).
You can now press (L) + (Down) + (Select) while the system is booted to open the Rosalina menu integrated into Luma3DS. For a full list of Rosalina features, please see the Luma3DS v8.0 Release

Do I now need to do these things? Or is it just information telling me what I can do if I want?

Specifically should I do the step about dumping the ARM11 and ARM9 bootroms ?

Thanks
These steps are optional. You don't have to do them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Using .139 and most of the games work.... Was happy to play Konami Devil World yesterday lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not even sure what to call that controller